"Guys like myself, that's what we flock to."

There's a difference between what we hope, expect, predict and are willing to bet on.

The seven years under Bo Pelini were the most consistent results in all of college football, yet somehow they failed to match our hopes and expectations.

I've been burned too often to predict anything, and see no reason to bet money that Mike Riley wins 11 games. Or to bet against it.

But I'm going to remain optimistic until proven otherwise, and the last thing I want is to set a numerical bar of success before the games are even played.

I am probably more excited for what the season brings in terms of fun things to do, getting together with friends, an excuse to head to Lincoln, things like that. I love the games there is no doubt but I love the games more because it has become an all day event for me and a lot of friends that I don't get to see all that often except during the season.

One time he threw to Westerkamp (I think) even though Westy had gotten pushed five yards out of bounds. But he was trying to run the deep route and that's where TA wanted to go with the ball.

One time I saw Tom Brady and Peyton Manning do some dumb stuff. And this one time at band camp....................

sh#t happens.....

It does. It was one example. But I'd like to see any other example of any other QB throwing to a receiver that was five yards out of bounds. Even in high school.

I've seen it many many times. Sorry if I don't have specific examples. I guess I didn't realize it was such a rarity that I needed to document it for future debates.

Typically there then is a discussion as to if the WR was pushed out of bounds by the DB or if he ran out on his own.

Throw to a guy who is out of bounds when the ball gets there? Yes. Throw to a guy who is already well out of bounds before you throw it? Not so much.

Connor Cook to Tony Lippett against the Huskers last year. Daniel Davie goes down, Jonathan Rose comes in and get's burnt immediately. Lippett goes out of bounds but Cook throws it anyway right over the top. Lippett was well out of bounds by the time Cook saw him and let the ball go. Turns out Lippett was shoved out of bounds so the score counted.

There's one example of a QB throwing the ball to a guy who already well out of bounds.

I think the fact that you're having to reach this much is pretty telling that you are not attempting to understand the point.

So....you ask for examples, he gives one and that's not what you wanted?

No, I want a play that is reasonably similar to what I'm describing. You two apparently refuse to acknowledge how far Westerkamp was out of bounds when TA threw it too him. As in, there were opponents on the sideline closer to the playing field than Westerkamp was. Lippett not only wasn't out of bounds when he caught the pass but it was a legal play and he scored a touchdown. So now, that is not an example of what I'm talking about. It's not even close.

What don't you get man? There are hundreds of examples of the QB throwing the ball away out of bounds. I've watched a ton of them. How have you watched football and not seen this ever happen?

Throwing the ball away out of bounds - absolutely. Throwing the ball trying to complete it to a receiver who is well out of bounds - not so much.

What don't you get man? There are hundreds of examples of the QB throwing the ball away out of bounds. I've watched a ton of them. How have you watched football and not seen this ever happen?

Throwing the ball away out of bounds - absolutely. Throwing the ball trying to complete it to a receiver who is well out of bounds - not so much.

So which of the two was he doing?

One time he threw to Westerkamp (I think) even though Westy had gotten pushed five yards out of bounds. But he was trying to run the deep route and that's where TA wanted to go with the ball.

One time I saw Tom Brady and Peyton Manning do some dumb stuff. And this one time at band camp....................

sh#t happens.....

It does. It was one example. But I'd like to see any other example of any other QB throwing to a receiver that was five yards out of bounds. Even in high school.

I've seen it many many times. Sorry if I don't have specific examples. I guess I didn't realize it was such a rarity that I needed to document it for future debates.

Typically there then is a discussion as to if the WR was pushed out of bounds by the DB or if he ran out on his own.

Throw to a guy who is out of bounds when the ball gets there? Yes. Throw to a guy who is already well out of bounds before you throw it? Not so much.

Connor Cook to Tony Lippett against the Huskers last year. Daniel Davie goes down, Jonathan Rose comes in and get's burnt immediately. Lippett goes out of bounds but Cook throws it anyway right over the top. Lippett was well out of bounds by the time Cook saw him and let the ball go. Turns out Lippett was shoved out of bounds so the score counted.

There's one example of a QB throwing the ball to a guy who already well out of bounds.

I think the fact that you're having to reach this much is pretty telling that you are not attempting to understand the point.

No, I want a play that is reasonably similar to what I'm describing. You two apparently refuse to acknowledge how far Westerkamp was out of bounds when TA threw it too him. As in, there were opponents on the sideline closer to the playing field than Westerkamp was. Lippett not only wasn't out of bounds when he caught the pass but it was a legal play and he scored a touchdown. So now, that is not an example of what I'm talking about. It's not even close.

Can you tell me what game this was in?

sh#t happens.....

I started looking this afternoon but didn't have enough time to find it yet. It was a home game and we were on our own end of the field - south going north - at about the 20-25 yard line or so. I wish I knew for sure it was Westerkamp (I'm probably 80% on that) which would make it a little easier to find. If/when I find the right one, I'll post it.

I mean .... you continue to argue the point even though you have no idea what the play looked like so I doubt me answering that question will affect your thinking at all.

I started looking this afternoon but didn't have enough time to find it yet. It was a home game and we were on our own end of the field - south going north - at about the 20-25 yard line or so. I wish I knew for sure it was Westerkamp (I'm probably 80% on that) which would make it a little easier to find. If/when I find the right one, I'll post it.

I mean .... you continue to argue the point even though you have no idea what the play looked like so I doubt me answering that question will affect your thinking at all.

You've got to be kidding yourself at this point. You just told me I don't even know what the play looked like so you refuse to answer my most basic question. Just above you said yourself, you don't even know what the play looked like other than we were at home and about the 25 yard line. You don't even know who the receiver was, or what game or anything.

You're contradictions are getting ridiculous. I'm used to better arguments from you Mavric but you're losing a lot of ground with me on this.

The question stands, since it is pertinent to the discussion. Which of the two was Armstrong doing? Was he throwing the ball away?

I think we called for, attempted and completed more short and mid-range passes last year than some folks remember.

For all the talk about never targeting the RBs, Abdullah and Newby had 30 receptions last year, more than two a game.

Tommy didn't actually throw indiscriminate bombs as much as some claim, either. Some of the deep passes were extremely successful highlight reel plays. Some of the incompletions merely showed our willingness to go deep, and in games like Miami -- where Tommy went deep early -- it kept Miami from stacking the box and aided the running game. Some were wild overthrows, possibly to receivers already out of bounds. They happen in the NFL every Sunday, too. Tommy's a gunner who likes to play playground ball. It's fun when it works. But clearly he could stand some discipline.

If Armstrong raises his completion percentage by a mere 5% and the defense keeps us out of the hole, it's a new ballgame.

• Fire 1

I think we called for, attempted and completed more short and mid-range passes last year than some folks remember.

For all the talk about never targeting the RBs, Abdullah and Newby had 30 receptions last year, more than two a game.

Tommy didn't actually throw indiscriminate bombs as much as some claim, either. Some of the deep passes were extremely successful highlight reel plays. Some of the incompletions merely showed our willingness to go deep, and in games like Miami -- where Tommy went deep early -- it kept Miami from stacking the box and aided the running game. Some were wild overthrows, possibly to receivers already out of bounds. They happen in the NFL every Sunday, too. Tommy's a gunner who likes to play playground ball. It's fun when it works. But clearly he could stand some discipline.

If Armstrong raises his completion percentage by a mere 5% and the defense keeps us out of the hole, it's a new ballgame.

Thank you.

You've got to be kidding yourself at this point. You just told me I don't even know what the play looked like so you refuse to answer my most basic question. Just above you said yourself, you don't even know what the play looked like other than we were at home and about the 25 yard line. You don't even know who the receiver was, or what game or anything.

You're contradictions are getting ridiculous. I'm used to better arguments from you Mavric but you're losing a lot of ground with me on this.

The question stands, since it is pertinent to the discussion. Which of the two was Armstrong doing? Was he throwing the ball away?

Wrong again. You're grasping at straws so hard that you're not reading what I say.

I can picture the exact play I'm talking about. I just can't remember exactly which game it took place in. You don't have any idea what I'm talking about but are still trying to argue that I'm wrong.

He was trying to complete a pass to Westerkamp. He had decided before the play that that's where he was going with the ball. So despite the fact that he had no pressure (thus, not throwing the ball away) and Westerkamp was not only not open but not even close to being in bounds, he threw the ball there anyway.

He was trying to complete a pass to Westerkamp. He had decided before the play that that's where he was going with the ball. So despite the fact that he had no pressure (thus, not throwing the ball away) and Westerkamp was not only not open but not even close to being in bounds, he threw the ball there anyway

Tommy is that you?

Good luck this season. Haters gonna hate.