* The Official Thread for the X's and O's of Football. *

4TUuS-.gif

Thanks Coach, I think it worked.

So on this play, can anyone explain to me what the hell the thought process is here for 84 and 68?

Is this a called keep for Tommy or is it a read? I'm thinking it's a called keeper for Tommy because the end goes totally unblocked but I just don't even know.........

You think maybe the play is supposed to be going around the outside edge because 84 comes back inside to seal the play out, but then who the hell is supposed to block the end?

Michigan St. just sends everybody, there isn't even a hesitation from the LB'ers, they are coming no matter what. McNeese St. demonstrated the effectiveness of that strategy. Michigan St followed suit.

This is October, six games into the season. This zone read is a play we run more than any play all season long for the last 5 years.....How? Just how do we look like this up front? We did it year after year, game after game.....ugh.....

ozkRsv.gif

This game was horrible as far as Tommy having any time to throw. I think we all figured out shortly after the game that Michigan St. had figured our snap count out very early. This was on our second drive in the game I believe. Kirk Herbstreit even makes the comment that the blitzing LB'er may have been offside he jumped the snap so fast. You can see, he is coming right as the ball is snapped, our offensive linemen weren't even coming out of their stance yet.

Had Armstrong had even a few seconds, Abdullah comes open behind the Lb'ers in the middle of the field. Easy TD pass for Tommy.

Tommy get's knocked continuously for not checking down, making errant throws, and poor decisions. Especially in this game. When you have guys trying to tear your head off and they're coming at you that quickly, you'd be pretty apt to make some mistakes too.

Any short 5 yard crossing route by a slot Reciever and Abdullah on this play, a sort of pick play that every team in the world does, especially New England and Denver, would have allowed Tommy to release the ball quickly. Get the ball into Abduallahs, Pierson Els or Westerkamps hands on a short throw, Michigan St.'s LB'ers were vacting the middle and blitzing all game long, easy throw over the middle and let the receiver do the rest.

When did we ever do it? Look on that play. Every receiver but one(comes onto screen from left side) is going at least 15 yards deep or more. When a team is blitzing, it seems they know the snap count, and your QB has no time, why in the hell are we running such long routes?

Boneheaded.

Where's the extra blocker? Where's the TE to either block or chip block and give Tommy an easy out if pressured? Any of these things at all?

How about a simple HB screen more than 5 times a year?

4TUuS-.gif

So on this play, can anyone explain to me what the hell the thought process is here for 84 and 68?

Is this a called keep for Tommy or is it a read? I'm thinking it's a called keeper for Tommy because the end goes totally unblocked but I just don't even know.........

You think maybe the play is supposed to be going around the outside edge because 84 comes back inside to seal the play out, but then who the hell is supposed to block the end?

Michigan St. just sends everybody, there isn't even a hesitation from the LB'ers, they are coming no matter what. McNeese St. demonstrated the effectiveness of that strategy. Michigan St followed suit.

This is October, six games into the season. This zone read is a play we run more than any play all season long for the last 5 years.....How? Just how do we look like this up front? We did it year after year, game after game.....ugh.....

If it was a zone read, then the answer is no one. TA sees the DE is taking away the outside so he correctly pulls the ball and goes up the middle. The problem is the LBs makes #68 go around in circles. My gawd, #68 doesn't do anything! Misses the first blitzing LB and gets turning around so he can't block the second. I remember the days when one of our Oline would take out two defenders. This guy missed two defenders.

4TUuS-.gif

If it was a zone read, then the answer is no one. TA sees the DE is taking away the outside so he correctly pulls the ball and goes up the middle. The problem is the LB is unblocked gets a TFL

Right, my thinking as well which is why I can't figure why 74 is heading around the edge? 74should be right there helping 68 on the inside, but he goes pulling around the edge and I can't figure why? Then 84 and what he's doing on the play is still a mystery?

4TUuS-.gif

If it was a zone read, then the answer is no one. TA sees the DE is taking away the outside so he correctly pulls the ball and goes up the middle. The problem is the LB is unblocked gets a TFL

Right, my thinking as well which is why I can't figure why 74 is heading around the edge? 74should be right there helping 68 on the inside, but he goes pulling around the edge and I can't figure why? Then 84 and what he's doing on the play is still a mystery?

84 is sealing off the pursuing LBs that aren't there because they blitzed

4TUuS-.gif

This is what happens when you have a defense that doesn't have 6 different rules every time the ball is snapped, and is also a result of knowing your opponents tendencies. Narduzzi was one of the coaches in the "Film room" on ESPN during the National Title game. He talks about how they had OSU at 70% run when the TE is on the LOS rather than off as a wing/H-Back.

Not saying that others don't do their homework, I just appreciated his comments on knowing the opponents tendencies.

Also about the line. I think you see indecisiveness because of coaching. Cotton doesn't know where to go because I'm sure he's told to do a couple different things depending on what you see. Instead of just being given the rule of "Do this, but if you don't, do what you chose 100%"

Same concept of blitzing. If you are suppose to blitz and you and you read pass/screen late and can't get to the QB, better not put on the brakes and sit in no mans land....at least try to get to QB, ya never know if he's gunna throw it on time or not.

I freaking hate watching indecisive football!!! Grr, these gifs anger me!

EDIT: As a coach I would much rather do more to put the kids in best position based on the game plan I put together, rather than have them out there thinking and making decisions of right and wrong that are based on how the play is developing. Does that make sense? I know they make decisions but I'm saying keep it much more simple!

4TUuS-.gif

Looks like 84 is letting the end go for Tommy to read, but 74 i have no idea.

The play would have picked up positive yardage if 68 would have done something

• Fire 1

4TUuS-.gif

Yeah, 84 I can listen to explanations. 68 I can't. Still, I'm think 84 heading upfield to take on a LB'er would've facilitated the play much better instead of heading outside and coming back to seal the edge. Takes far too long for these blocking schemes to come together instead of focusing more guys on the point of attack. Ohio St. doesn't do near as much as we're trying to do here. They attack the box, win the point of attack, they use multiple blockers to chip opponents DL then move to the second level.

4TUuS-.gif

Yeah, 84 I can listen to explanations. 68 I can't. Still, I'm think 84 heading upfield to take on a LB'er would've facilitated the play much better instead of heading outside and coming back to seal the edge. Takes far too long for these blocking schemes to come together instead of focusing more guys on the point of attack. Ohio St. doesn't do near as much as we're trying to do here. They attack the box, win the point of attack, they use multiple blockers to chip opponents DL then move to the second level.

Bingo.

They make the LB's fight through trash to make plays, while NU in these instances are opening gaps giving the defense open doors to shoot through.

• Fire 1

That was one play that supported an argument of how much I truly think the offensive line needs some work. They were a huge part of some of the let downs in big games.

What games over the last 4 years do you think that our offensive line's play had a 'huge' part in us losing?

So obviously there were some wins that the offensive line did well in, but also struggled in, but we were able to overcome. You asked for the games over the last four years that the offensive line played a huge part in us losing but this is one I've gone through and watched and can't say the offensive line is a huge factor in the loss.

2011- Nebraska @ Wisconsin- Loss 48-17

Now it's hard to knock these guys too bad. This offensive line was really not too bad of a group. They fought their asses off in this game but the play calling and game plan did them no favors. Martinez did not have a very good game and he missed a lot of opportunities. He threw three interceptions in this game. Wisconsin scored touchdowns on all three I believe.

I thought this was an interesting philosophy though, three guys take on guy up the middle and go one on one on the edges. You can see 63 finally goes out to help the LT, but 78 just get's overpowered on his own.

82Jocc.gif

Great protection, great throw by Taylor:

wwLTcc.gif

This probably looks familiar. Good protection, and look who's standing all alone. No checkdown to the RB, an issue that has lingered in this offense under Beck for a very long time. You can see a LB'er late in coverage on Burkhead, but one on one, I take Burkhead all day long. Very much like he burned that LB'er against Ohio St. one on one.

2QXq54.gif

Very next play, look who's all alone? Good protection again by the offensive line. Rex is visibly upset because it appears absolutely nobody from Wisconsin followed him out there.

nVe2Ce.gif

The very next play:

FoIwDm.gif

I'm beginning to think the offensive line was not the problem in this game. Honestly, this 2011 group does not look too bad.

Wisconsin adds a touchdown off that pick. The next series:

vLt7WX.gif

Now this pick was right at 1:25 left before the half. Pretty demoralizing for an offense trying to march down and take a halftime lead by 1. Instead, Wisconsin hits a big 46 yard TD pass with 32 seconds before halftime.

Wisconsin takes the 27-14 lead at the half then opens up the third quarter by scoring a touchdown about 3:30 into the third quarter. The defense is having a tough time.

Russel Wilson and Wisconsins run game combined to have a great night. Nebraska's offense was very subpar, but again this is one I wouldn't throw on the offensive lines shoulders. Nebraska had a 3.7 ypc average. 176 yards passing. Not a lot went right offensively and this is just kind of how it went defensively:

fnDNbj.gif

Every time you thought you had em, they made a play.

I was expecting to re-watch some of this and find more issues with the offensive line but like I said, I can admit when they were not the big issue. Although it wasn't good, there were bigger problems that night.

Sorry to relive this, but I didn't want it all to go to waste. Even though it really doesn't support evidence toward the question you asked. The Nebraska offense was outscored 21-3 in the second half. Make of that what you will. Not sure we could say that is a great performance by anybody offensively, but I can't find a whole lot of video on that second half as far as Husker highlights, so very difficult for me to show evidence of the line playing poorly or not.

• 2 weeks later...