Pre-Season AP Poll

Mavric

So you are saying keeping everything the same except playing the TCU/Baylor game at the end of the season instead of in the middle is what makes the difference? That is a dumb reason to pick a team vs another.

If those two teams played a rematch after the season to determine the champion, it certainly wouldn't have hurt the winner's case.

So you are saying keeping everything the same except playing the TCU/Baylor game at the end of the season instead of in the middle is what makes the difference? That is a dumb reason to pick a team vs another.

If those two teams played a rematch after the season to determine the champion, it certainly wouldn't have hurt the winner's case.

Yeah. It's not just that it's the end of the season - there is all kinds of weight attached to a game like that that doesn't exist in almost all regular season game scenarios.

I really don't understand your reasoning cpt (I don't know how to abbreviate your username well and I don't want to type the entire thing out :P). A championship game is a huge deal, especially in last year's scenario.

Baylor played 3 creampuffs and 9 conference opponents.

TCU played 2 creampuffs, 1 P5 OOC, and 9 conference opponents.

Ohio State played 1 creampuff, 1 P5 OOC, 2 G5 (one independent but G5 ish level) OOC, and 9 conference opponents, with one of them being a designated game against the best competition from the other division.

Why is it just because of the setting, that they pass up the big12?

It's because all the champs have to play 12 regular season games, just like the Big XII, but they also have to win an extra playoff game, unlike the Big XII.
Lol wow.

So people say that FSU played no one and and cite that as being why they didn't deserve in even though they won all their games.

Meanwhile we are saying the big12 should be penalized for not having a championship game, played 9 conference games, and most played a power 5 ooc too.

Basically were giving benefits to conferences that play 8 games within its league, get a 9 game becuz of a title game, and have an extra "patsy" on the schedule.

Literally everything is essentially equal except the big 10, acc, and sec play an extra "southern miss".

That's the difference. Just because it's called a championship game shouldn't matter when it comes to the comparables.

FSU was literally lucky and got saved against Notre Dame. Watch the end of that game. It wasn't resiliancy that won them that game. Honestly they played like crap that game but somehow were gifted a win. Then they beat what, Duke in the ACC title game. Lol their road was way easier than the other 3 playoff participants, and they struggled more in most of their games. Probably why Oregon piss pounded them the way they did.

TCU and Baylor played 9 conference games. Whoopty doo. Their OOC schedules were a joke besides the TCU v Minny game. Ohio State played 9 conference games too, and curb stomped Wiscy in the last one. Plus they played an extra OOC opponent. And sorry the who had a better loss argument is something ESPN would pull in this scenario. Ohio State had just lost some starters if I am not mistaken, but I digress.

Stack TCU's W/L record next to tOSU and lets compare.

TCU- 11-1 (8-1 Big 12) Conference Co champ

tOSU- 12-1 (9-0 Big Ten) Outright Title Game Champ

I rest my case.

To further things....

TCU played these ranked teams:

#4 Oklahoma

#5 Baylor -LOSS

#15 Okie State

#20 WVU

#7 KSU

#9 Ole Miss

They won the Peach Bowl to finish 12-1

Ohio State played these ranked opponents

#7 MSU

#11 Wisconsin

#1 Alabama

#2 Oregon

Won semifinal and college footbal national championship playoff game to finish 14-1

Wow, TCU played more ranked teams huh? Not when you look at the final rankings.

Unranked OU

#9 Baylor -LOSS

Unranked Okie Lite

Unranked WVU

#21 KSU

#12 Ole Miss

Hmmmm, so really just 3 ranked teams.

How about the Buckeyes?

#5 MSU

#14 Wiscy

#3 Alabama

#2 Oregon

Woah, 3 top 5 teams and 1 top 15. Plus an extra 2 games on the season to boot. Pretty clear to me who wins the better season debate.

It's because all the champs have to play 12 regular season games, just like the Big XII, but they also have to win an extra playoff game, unlike the Big XII.
Lol wow.

So people say that FSU played no one and and cite that as being why they didn't deserve in even though they won all their games.

Meanwhile we are saying the big12 should be penalized for not having a championship game, played 9 conference games, and most played a power 5 ooc too.

Basically were giving benefits to conferences that play 8 games within its league, get a 9 game becuz of a title game, and have an extra "patsy" on the schedule.

Literally everything is essentially equal except the big 10, acc, and sec play an extra "southern miss".

That's the difference. Just because it's called a championship game shouldn't matter when it comes to the comparables.

FSU was literally lucky and got saved against Notre Dame. Watch the end of that game. It wasn't resiliancy that won them that game. Honestly they played like crap that game but somehow were gifted a win. Then they beat what, Duke in the ACC title game. Lol their road was way easier than the other 3 playoff participants, and they struggled more in most of their games. Probably why Oregon piss pounded them the way they did.

TCU and Baylor played 9 conference games. Whoopty doo. Their OOC schedules were a joke besides the TCU v Minny game. Ohio State played 9 conference games too, and curb stomped Wiscy in the last one. Plus they played an extra OOC opponent. And sorry the who had a better loss argument is something ESPN would pull in this scenario. Ohio State had just lost some starters if I am not mistaken, but I digress.

I rest my case.

The fact that you don't know who FSU played and beat in the ACC title game, tells me you don't pay attention to anything other than the Huskers, so for me personally, I wouldn't take you for a credible person at all. There fore I might nod and say yes and give you BS responses while in my head think about how you have no clue what you are talking about. That's just me though. It's an easy way to evaluate who to listen to and who not to. Also about the Notre Dame game, they didn't luck out. If you are talking about the pick play, it was clearly illegal and if you are blind to the fact that FSU was down in so many games and found a way to score points when they needed it most and you are still calling it luck. Well…reread my first comments.

To further things....

#4 Oklahoma

#5 Baylor -LOSS

#15 Okie State

#20 WVU

#7 KSU

#9 Ole Miss

#7 MSU

#11 Wisconsin

#1 Alabama

#2 Oregon

Won semifinal and college footbal national championship playoff game to finish 14-1

Unranked OU

#9 Baylor -LOSS

Unranked Okie Lite

Unranked WVU

#21 KSU

#12 Ole Miss

How about the Buckeyes?

#5 MSU

#14 Wiscy

#3 Alabama

#2 Oregon

Woah, 3 top 5 teams and 1 top 15. Plus an extra 2 games on the season to boot. Pretty clear to me who wins the better season debate.

I get your point, and it's a decent one, however, when discussing the playoff selections and merit for each team, we can't use the playoff games they played as part of that merit. During the selections process they don't have the luxury of looking into the future.

In that case OSU was 2-0 vs ranked teams and 10-1 vs Unranked.

TCU was 9-0 vs Unranked and 1-1 vs Ranked.

At this point it becomes down to losses in my opinion. It's how you decide to slice the bread. Throwing all the scores out, and just looking at W's vs L's….we're seriously saying that OSU's extra game vs Navy, or Kent State is the difference. Because OSU had 3 OOC games that aren't P5. That is where the extra game comes from. Not the championship game.

I guess now, I'm just gunna move my argument and say that they just need to put the 5 champs in. Let the 4-5 seed play in the middle of bowl season, then the winner play the 1 seed on Dec 31, in the semifinal

In that scenario, Baylor/TCU plays OSU for the right to get into the playoff….

I don't see that happening so the best scenario is for Big12 to dissolve and make 4 conferences, and make them regional, as best as they can. They have 1 choice. 64 teams and each conference required to do a pod system within it's conference. Play a title game. Then the champs all qualify for the playoff with NO non winners eligible regardless of who wins the Championship games (if you were 9-3 and won, you're in).

Committee then seeds them according to subjective merit. We're all good then.

Kicker is, Notre Dame can join a conference but this will likely kick out Iowa State or someone like that.

Lol wow.

I rest my case.

The fact that you don't know who FSU played and beat in the ACC title game, tells me you don't pay attention to anything other than the Huskers, so for me personally, I wouldn't take you for a credible person at all. There fore I might nod and say yes and give you BS responses while in my head think about how you have no clue what you are talking about. That's just me though. It's an easy way to evaluate who to listen to and who not to. Also about the Notre Dame game, they didn't luck out. If you are talking about the pick play, it was clearly illegal and if you are blind to the fact that FSU was down in so many games and found a way to score points when they needed it most and you are still calling it luck. Well…reread my first comments.

To further things....

#4 Oklahoma

#5 Baylor -LOSS

#15 Okie State

#20 WVU

#7 KSU

#9 Ole Miss

#7 MSU

#11 Wisconsin

#1 Alabama

#2 Oregon

Unranked OU

#9 Baylor -LOSS

Unranked Okie Lite

Unranked WVU

#21 KSU

#12 Ole Miss

How about the Buckeyes?

#5 MSU

#14 Wiscy

#3 Alabama

#2 Oregon

In that case OSU was 2-0 vs ranked teams and 10-1 vs Unranked.

TCU was 9-0 vs Unranked and 1-1 vs Ranked.

Thanks for proving why the Buckeyes got the nod.

The 64 team playoff is pointless discussing, never gonna happen. The conferences are not going to agree to take on extra teams and just dissolve an entire conference or 4 to do a 64 team regional basketball style tournament.

You are thenone who kept bringing up the conference wins. Ohio State had a 9-0 record in conference. TCU was 8-1. Advantage Buckeyes.

You say conference titles shouldnt decide teams. Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State and FSU all won their conferences via an extra championship game. TCU split the conference title with a team they beat in regular season. Advantage Buckeyes.

Losses matter. Okay fine. TCU losing to WVU is slightly better than Ohio State losing to VaTech. But tOSU lost in week 2 I believe. Then they roared back with a backup QB. Then they had to start a 3rd QB whose first 3 starts were a conference championship win, a semifinall playoff win, and a national championship. If we cant count wins in post season its a tie, otherwise, advantage Buckeyes.

TCU was far more worthy than FSU but FSU didn't technically lose. They played like crap against ND no matter your opinion. TCU deserved it more but their conference didn't help them and they were left out.

The 64 team playoff is pointless discussing, never gonna happen. The conferences are not going to agree to take on extra teams and just dissolve an entire conference or 4 to do a 64 team regional basketball style tournament.

You are thenone who kept bringing up the conference wins. Ohio State had a 9-0 record in conference. TCU was 8-1. Advantage Buckeyes.

You say conference titles shouldnt decide teams. Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State and FSU all won their conferences via an extra championship game. TCU split the conference title with a team they beat in regular season. Advantage Buckeyes.

Losses matter. Okay fine. TCU losing to WVU is slightly better than Ohio State losing to VaTech. But tOSU lost in week 2 I believe. Then they roared back with a backup QB. Then they had to start a 3rd QB whose first 3 starts were a conference championship win, a semifinall playoff win, and a national championship. If we cant count wins in post season its a tie, otherwise, advantage Buckeyes.

TCU was far more worthy than FSU but FSU didn't technically lose. They played like crap against ND no matter your opinion. TCU deserved it more but their conference didn't help them and they were left out.

Good lord I didn't say 64 team playoff. There would be 4 conferences comprising of 64 teams.

16 teams in each...

Do you need me to spell it out? I didn't think it would be that hard to get. Let me put it in my memory bank that Redux has a hard time understanding what is typed

Again, your facts are off. TCU lost to Baylor. Not West Va.

Baylor lost to West Va

To expand. I think logically it should have been

1. FSU

2. OREGON (they avenged their only loss, no one else did)

3. Bama

4. Baylor. (Loss to west VA better than osu's VA tech)

TCU should have never been ahead of Baylor due to head to head. Ohio state had the worst loss of anyone and just lost a starting qb.

To me the playoff failed in the selection process last year.

And thus the problem with a four-team playoff. The team that was far and away the best team at the end of the year is left out because of a slip-up at the beginning of the year after losing their starting QB in camp. We're stuck trying to compare wins and losses with basically no common opponents.

I don't think it failed. It just didn't agree with your opinion.

So, now we're saying the regular season doesn't matter? Isn't this the argument that was made for decades as to why there wasn't a playoff at the D1 level? Coach T's picks are exactly how I would have picked them, but I wouldn't have given FSU the overall #1. If we go back to the way things used to be, Ohio State doesn't end up as the NC. There were a lot of years in there back in the late 80's and early 90's where Florida State was the hottest team in the country at season's end but had one loss earlier in the season to Miami by a missed field goal. They never ended up as NC. I'm really not sure we want to argue about when the loss occurred during the season. The way things are, Ohio State shouldn't have been in the playoff.

I've always advocated an 8 team playoff. Last year is a great example of what happens when you have too small of a sample size. Without expanding the playoff, we're left with just as bigof cluster as we had with the BCS.