Democratic Election Thread

I totally agree with your view BRB. I think it needs improvements but given what Obama had to work with (or didn't in this case) it's about all we coukd get. It's a foot forward in the right direction but far from perfect...

Obama will be remembered primarily for ACA - whether it stands long term or not (repealed, replaced). He will also be remembered for being the most socially engineering president that I can think of. He pushed the envelope in about everyway possible.

On the government shut down:

we got to stop repeating this pattern. I know the American people are tired of it. And to all the American people, I apologize that you have to go through this stuff every three months, it seems like. And Lord knows I'm tired of it.

On people losing their health care plans because of Obama care:

I am sorry that they are finding themselves in this situation based on assurances they got from me

Neither of which is really a failure. I don't think he's really failed at anything? Sure he could have done things better, but so could every president in history for that matter. Maybe you can name his failures, I'm pretty sure you can...

Obamacare is the closest thing for me as far as a failure. But, I hesitate to call it that because there have been a lot of people who gained coverage.

The problem with it is that the Republicans are to idiotic to offer ideas to make it better instead of the constant..."I'm going to repeal it" and the Dems are too arrogant to claim it has issues and offer fixes.

To me, Obamacare is a starting point that needs major changes to make it long term sustainable. But, neither side is going to work towards that due to their own political idiocies.

That seems pretty accurate

Bernie got beat up pretty good in California yesterday. Last I checked he was losing by 13 points, but there was still 6% of the vote out.

Not exactly the cap to his campaign he was hoping for. Apparently he still wants to campaign in DC, holding a rally, but I'm fairly sure he's going to lose significantly there. He's set to meet with Obama at the White House tomorrow. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.

I wonder what the endgame looks like for Sanders at this point?

Interesting Politico article about the final leg of his campaign: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/bernie-sanders-campaign-last-days-224041

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/9/11867810/bernie-sanders-obama-future-democrats

A perspective on the future of the Dem party, in an interview from a Boston College political scientist:

It seems to me that is the key shift — Hillary is running not as a 90s-era Bill Clinton Democrat but as an Obama Democrat, and she won. That suggests to me that Obama’s version of the party is likely to stick around for a while.

I enjoyed it. I was too young in the 90s to remember, but from the perspectives I've been picking up, it seems that this is generally regarded as a pretty positive shift.

• Fire 1