***2015 Game 1 "Expert" Picks: BYU @ Nebraska***

Saunders

2015 Game 1 “Expert” Picks: BYU @ Nebraska

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

http://collegefootballnews.com/2015/byu-vs-nebraska-week-1-fearless-prediction-preview

Considering the controversy surrounding Mike Riley and his days at Oregon State and how BYU is trying to figure out its standing in the world, this might turn out to be one of the bigger games on the schedule after all the dust settles. The Huskers have to get off to a hot start with Miami coming up in a few weeks, while there’s no room for error for a Cougar team that can’t afford a loss if it wants to have a fun year – especially this early in the season.

Why You Need To Care

It’s not like there’s pressure or anything at the Nebraska job. Either win the Big Ten title, and do it in a certain style that makes the folks happy, or it’s not going to work out. Bo Pelini was the type that didn’t work out, and now it’s up to Mike Riley to not only make the program a superpower again, but do it by not being so, so … Bo Pelini. He has talent returning, but he’s also trying to work some square pegs into some round holes to make everything fit what the new staff is looking for. There’s no grace period here – a loss would be absolutely devastating considering Miami, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are still there to deal with.

BYU has its star back in QB Taysom Hill leading a talented group that should bring the firepower, but there are several question marks on defense along with concerns in an offensive backfield without star running back Jamaal Williams for the year. With Boise State, UCLA and Michigan up next, this game is either the start of a big run that could lead to some national noise, or, effectively, the end of the season with the bowl tie-ins already set for the program. Again, no pressure.

Why BYU Will Win

Is this whole offensive change thing going to work for the Huskers? The coaches have said they’ll adapt to the talent, but at the same time, they want Tommy Armstrong to be able to throw some more like a pro-style passer – at least at times. This is where a team like Nebraska really, really needed a tune-up game or two just to see what it has to work with, but it’s not going to get that. BYU has a good enough defensive line to keep the Husker ground game in check, while the secondary that allowed so many yards last season shouldn’t have to worry too much about the big play – Nebraska is figuring it out as it goes. However …

Why Nebraska Will Win

If Tommy Armstrong gets hot, look out. BYU’s secondary was a disaster throughout last season, allowing 300 yards or more in six of the final 11 games and getting roasted for over 700 yards and eight scores in the final two dates with Cal and Memphis. Making matters worse is the turnover with three new starters in the defensive backfield, and with just an okay pass rush – at least projected – to help the cause. No one’s thinking Armstrong is going to be Aaron Rodgers overnight, but if he can find a groove, then he might have a massive day.

Player Who Matters

America has seen Taysom Hill do big things before. He made a name for himself over the years with big wins over Texas, Georgia Tech and Boise State, and he was amazing to start out last season before getting knocked out with a broken leg. This is his return to the limelight as one of the nation’s top dual-threat quarterbacks, and it’s all on him to make the Cougar attack shine. There are other weapons around him, but BYU can’t win unless he plays at a whole other level.

What’s Going To Happen?

It’s going to be a bit rocky at times for the Nebraska offense, but the defensive front will be frothing at the mouth. Maliek Collins and the interior will keep the Cougar backs from doing anything consistently, and while Hill will get his big plays, he’s not going to outplay Armstrong enough to come away with the win.

BYU vs. Nebraska Prediction

Nebraska 34 - BYU 27

—————

FoxSports.com

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/michigan-alabama-ohio-state-notre-dame-tcu-auburn-texas-am-arizona-st-week-1-cfb-picks-090315

Stewart Mandel: BYU

Bruce Feldman: Nebraska

Joel Klatt: Nebraska

Jim Ross (Yes that Jim Ross): Nebraska

—————

BTN.com

http://btn.com/2015/08/31/week-1-see-our-predictions-for-all-14-big-ten-football-games/

Tom Dienhart: BYU 28 - Nebraska 27

Sean Merriman: Nebraska 31 - BYU 27

Brent Yarina: Nebraska 34 - BYU 31

Bob Asmussen: Nebraska 31 - BYU 24

—————

ESPN Big Ten Blog

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/122828/big-ten-week-1-game-picks

Brian Bennet: Nebraska 38 - BYU 35

Josh Moyer: Nebraska 35 - BYU 27

Dan Murphy: Nebraska 33 - BYU 28

Mitch Sherman: Nebraska 27 - BYU 20

Jesse Temple: Nebraska 28 - BYU 27

Austin Ward: BYU 27 - Nebraska 24

—————

Athlon Sports

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-2015-week-1-predictions

David Fox: Nebraska’s 29-game season-opener winning streak might end if we see the same Taysom Hill we saw at the start of last season.

BYU 28 - Nebraska 24

Steven Lassan: This game isn’t generating the attention Ohio State-Virginia Tech or Louisville-Auburn are this week, but there’s intrigue here. BYU quarterback Taysom Hill is back after missing most of 2014 with a leg injury, and Nebraska opens the Mike Riley tenure looking to extend its winning streak in openers (29 consecutive victories).

Nebraska 31 - BYU 27

Mitch Light: Nebraska has won 29 straight openers, the longest such streak in the nation. The Huskers will make it 30 — but it won’t be easy.

Nebraska 27 - BYU 24

—————

Tulsa World

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/collegefootball/college-football-tulsa-world-s-week-picks/article_dcdfdb34-ef1e-59f8-86bd-046d16485fee.html

Eric Bailey: Nebraska 30 - BYU 20

Mark Cooper: Nebraska 24 - BYU 21

Guerin Emig: Nebraska 20 - BYU 17

Kelly Hines: Nebraska 35 - BYU 28

John E Hoover: Nebraska 35 - BYU 27

John Klein: Nebraska 31 - BYU 21

Kendrick Marshall: Nebraska 26 - BYU 20

Michael Peters: Nebraska 28 - BYU 24

Patrick Prince: Nebraska 24 - BYU 21

—————

Big Red Wrap-Up

http://netnebraska.org/media/media.php?bin=NET&vidgroup=40176356

Kevin Kugler: Nebraska 28 - BYU 27

Blake Lawrence: Nebraska 31 - BYU 24

Sean Callahan: Nebraska 31 - BYU 23

—————

Daily Nebraskan

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/dn-sports-desk-nebraska-v-byu-score-predictions/article_3e3a1096-4f87-11e5-b708-db98089231a9.html

Vanessa Daves: Nebraska 28 - BYU 21

Josh Kelly: Nebraska 33 - BYU 28

Brett Nierengarten: BYU 34 - Nebraska 27

Michael Dixon: BYU 35 - Nebraska31

Nick Wilkinson: BYU 42 - Nebraska 35

—————

AP - Ralph D Russo

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/grand-opening-college-football-starts-playoff-talk-begins

Upset special: We'll see how much Huskers fans love new coach Mike Riley after Taysom Hill and the Cougars come to town ... Upset special

BYU 31- Nebraska 24.

—————

What If Sports

https://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=201509050023

Nebraska 29 - BYU 27

—————

The Power Rank

http://thepowerrank.com/predictions/

Nebraska will beat Brigham Young by 5.9 at home. Brigham Young has a 33% chance of beating Nebraska.

—————

• Fire 5

I was watching one of the shows on ESPNU last night, I think it was College Football Live Trevor Mattich's upset special was BYU over Nebraska. I'll give you three guesses where Trevor Mattich played college football at and the first 2 guesses don't count. :leghump:

Seriously though, I think way too much is being made of this transition in the media when it comes to NU vs BYU, yet I see lots guys saying that they woudln't be surprised at all if Michigan beat Utah, a much better team than BYU on the road.

Another thing, that is kinda funny. I am listening to Sharp and Benning and they are talking about Taysum Hill being Paul Bunyan. I tend to agree with this. He is a good QB, but some people are making him out to be this mythical player.

I just got this feeling that TA is going to have a monster game. I just think he really feels like he has something to prove.

2015 Game 1 “Expert” Picks: BYU @ Nebraska

<snip>

—————

Daily Nebraskan

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/dn-sports-desk-nebraska-v-byu-score-predictions/article_3e3a1096-4f87-11e5-b708-db98089231a9.html

Vanessa Daves: Nebraska 28 - BYU 21

Josh Kelly: Nebraska 33 - BYU 28

Brett Nierengarten: BYU 34 - Nebraska 27

Michael Dixon: BYU 35 - Nebraska31

Nick Wilkinson: BYU 42 - Nebraska 35

—————

Three out of five from the Daily Nebraskan picked BYU? WTF?? I though UNL was a dry campus.

Oh those wacky college students. It makes me miss those carefree days of casual sex and unbridled idiocy. :lol:

• Fire 1

I was watching one of the shows on ESPNU last night, I think it was College Football Live Trevor Mattich's upset special was BYU over Nebraska. I'll give you three guesses where Trevor Mattich played college football at and the first 2 guesses don't count. :leghump:

Seriously though, I think way too much is being made of this transition in the media when it comes to NU vs BYU, yet I see lots guys saying that they woudln't be surprised at all if Michigan beat Utah, a much better team than BYU on the road.

Another thing, that is kinda funny. I am listening to Sharp and Benning and they are talking about Taysum Hill being Paul Bunyan. I tend to agree with this. He is a good QB, but some people are making him out to be this mythical player.

I just got this feeling that TA is going to have a monster game. I just think he really feels like he has something to prove.

I thought Mattich played at Notre Dame.

Nope. BYU. He was on the 1984 team, starting center

Nope. BYU. He was on the 1984 team, starting center

It was just kinda funny because Todd McShay was the other guy on the show and he kinda rolls his eyes a little bit, like it is a homer prediction.

• Fire 2