The Problem

Hujan

Honest question, do we had a single player on our roster right now that would start on the '95 team? I can't think of one.

Then maybe we shouldn't compare this team to that one, for f@ck's sake.

There's probably a few. In fairness these players also don't have the opportunity to be submersed in the culture back then that surely helped push a lot of those players to be better.

Interesting, so when the 95 team comes onto the new turf with their children is it wrong to tell them "I won all my games for 3 years on THIS field"?

Yeah, it's like when there are cows out in the corn field, and then the farmer harvests the corn, and then the cows go back in the field but it's not the same corn field cuz the corn is gone, Or something.

Interesting, so when the 95 team comes onto the new turf with their children is it wrong to tell them "I won all my games for 3 years on THIS field"?

Yeah, it's like when there are cows out in the corn field, and then the farmer harvests the corn, and then the cows go back in the field but it's not the same corn field cuz the corn is gone, Or something.

I knew you were a Hawkeye

What the hell does that even mean? And trust me, we are trying to field a team that plays like the '95 team did. There is a reason they are the best team in the history of College football though. It's cuz there hasn't been many teams like them.

Huskers want teams like they had in 90s, florida st wants teams like they had in 90s, miami wants teams like they had in 90s and early 2000s, oklahoma wants teams like they had in 70s and 80s, and on and on. Football changes and evolves. If you want teams like we had in the 90s then get out your dvds and watch them and quit following the Nebraska team now. I would have loved to get Paul Johnson in here as coach. Would love to hear the same people complain when things would have failed saying how we cant run option football with how football is now. Recruiting is WAY harder now and getting players to come in and play option football is hard as hell. They want to play in schemes that can help them get to the nfl now. Theres no prop 48 anymore. If you want the best talent you better have schemes that talent wants to play in.

• Fire 1

Huskers want teams like they had in 90s, florida st wants teams like they had in 90s, miami wants teams like they had in 90s and early 2000s, oklahoma wants teams like they had in 70s and 80s, and on and on. Football changes and evolves. If you want teams like we had in the 90s then get out your dvds and watch them and quit following the Nebraska team now. I would have loved to get Paul Johnson in here as coach. Would love to hear the same people complain when things would have failed saying how we cant run option football with how football is now. Recruiting is WAY harder now and getting players to come in and play option football is hard as hell. They want to play in schemes that can help them get to the nfl now. Theres no prop 48 anymore. If you want the best talent you better have schemes that talent wants to play in.

Maybe that's the biggest reason why Callahan was able to bring in better players than Solich or Pelini. He was running a pro style O and D, so he got pro style players.

Pro style isn't as bad as a lot of people seem to think. Devaney ran an early form of the pro style with very little option. Osborne didn't add the option in until the 80s if I remember correctly.

And to be honest, I do like the passing game Riley has going on here, for the most part. I would like to see a bigger emphasis on the run game, and run some deep play action off of it. Cross would be much better suited for a pro style power run offense, even more so than Newby or Wilbon. At most a 65%-35% run-pass ratio though, for a balanced offense.

I think there is still potential here for a good system and a good team. We will still improve as the season goes on, but if we can bring in some talented pro style nfl calibre players, 2 or 3 years down the road we could be in the playoff conversation again.

Also, there's a lot of potential to adding some option into a pro style attack. A Power O or HB Dive play run out of the pistol with the QB making a read on the backside DE or OLB could open up a lot of space on the outside for some big gains, or if that's accounted for would pull one man out of the box and possibly open the inside run for a big gain. Some traditional speed option to the outside could also make the middle vulnerable to a fullback trap (or H-back trap if you're running it out of the pistol.)

The option doesn't have to be the end all, be all of a scheme. Its usually more effective as an add on to take advantage of an opposing defense's tendancies.

Gotta be Foltz's injusry situation. You never know, though. The whole team came out in a funk against Miami. Everything went wrong in every phase of the game for the first couple of drives. Adjusted, battled back, but it easily could have turned out differently. Another score and the game may have been put well out of reach.

If Foltz is hurt, then don't we go with Brokemeyer(sp) to punt then? Why have a hobbled Foltz go out there instead?

What the hell does that even mean? And trust me, we are trying to field a team that plays like the '95 team did. There is a reason they are the best team in the history of College football though. It's cuz there hasn't been many teams like them.

I was just poking fun at Sker4ever who seems to think if you change the carpet in your living room, it's no longer your living room.

Here's the issue. We all want a team that wins like the 95 team and dominates like the 95 team. However, it won't look the same as the 95 team. Many rules have changed in college football and talent and teams have changed what they do. As someone said, college football evolves. Many of the awesome hits that the 95 players laid on poor opposing players would be flagged today. I remember seeing QBs literally wobbling off the field due to hit after hit and then coming right back out. The hits would be 15 yard penalties and ultimately players would be kicked out. And.....that's actually a good thing. Many of the blocking techniques would be flagged. Our O line will NEVER look like the 80s and 90s again due to the fact that every single player they now go up against has the same weight training and nutrition they do. That wasn't the case before. Even O lines from Alabama, OSU and Wisconsin don't look like ours from that era.

Now, saying that, I'm not saying we can't have a year where we dominate opponents like that year on the score board. Those are two very different things.

Here's the issue. We all want a team that wins like the 95 team and dominates like the 95 team. However, it won't look the same as the 95 team. Many rules have changed in college football and talent and teams have changed what they do. As someone said, college football evolves. Many of the awesome hits that the 95 players laid on poor opposing players would be flagged today. I remember seeing QBs literally wobbling off the field due to hit after hit and then coming right back out. The hits would be 15 yard penalties and ultimately players would be kicked out. And.....that's actually a good thing. Many of the blocking techniques would be flagged. Our O line will NEVER look like the 80s and 90s again due to the fact that every single player they now go up against has the same weight training and nutrition they do. That wasn't the case before. Even O lines from Alabama, OSU and Wisconsin don't look like ours from that era.

Now, saying that, I'm not saying we can't have a year where we dominate opponents like that year on the score board. Those are two very different things.

I realize the rarity of a team like the 95 Huskers, but given the resources, a team consistently ranked in the top 25 should be achievable.

• Fire 1

I realize the rarity of a team like the 95 Huskers, but given the resources, a team consistently ranked in the top 25 should be achievable.

I don't think there is anyone who disagrees with that.