OWH Chatelain: “Hope and hopelessness"

OWH Chatelain: “Hope and hopelessness"   

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What a miserable, spoiled, silly attitude to be hopeless. It's like you can't enjoy being a fan of a team if they aren't vying for, or winning, some kind of championship.There are Purdue fans out there with hope. There are Arkansas State fans out there with hope. There are Kansas fans with hope. Why? Those teams don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning any kind of title, whether that's conference championship or national championship. If they can't have those, what's the use of hope?They hope because they have a simple, no-strings-attached love for their team. Nothing more, nothing less.Those people with "hopelessness" have attached some ridiculous expectation to this team, some benchmark of validation that exists in their own minds, and nowhere else. Nebraska has no right to win anything, not one single game, not one conference title, not one championship. All the money and history and tradition in the world doesn't equate to any expectation of winning anything in the future.Sometimes I think the best thing for this fan base would be about five straight losing seasons. It'd knock some of this ridiculous baggage off of people, let them just be happy to watch the game, to sit amongst other fans, to have a kickoff on a sunny summer day, nothing more. Let folks get back to understanding what's great about college football.It isn't X number of wins or championships or trophies, I can guarantee you that.

This may be the best post you have ever produced on this board. I have never seen bigger bunch of fans that think they are entitled to something than I have seen on this board over the last 24 hours.

Every one is just mad,

Mad because Nebraska is not as good as they used to be.

Mad at TO for retiring

Mad at FS for not being as good as TO

Mad at Steve P for firing FS and hiring BC.

Mad at BC for not being as good as TO

Mad at BP for losing big

Mad at BP for not being as good as TO

Mad at SE for hiring MR

Mad at MR for losing a game on a Hail Mary pass and in overtime to 2 decent teams

Mad because Nebraska is not as good as they used to be

• Fire 1

What a miserable, spoiled, silly attitude to be hopeless. It's like you can't enjoy being a fan of a team if they aren't vying for, or winning, some kind of championship.

There are Purdue fans out there with hope. There are Arkansas State fans out there with hope. There are Kansas fans with hope. Why? Those teams don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning any kind of title, whether that's conference championship or national championship. If they can't have those, what's the use of hope?

They hope because they have a simple, no-strings-attached love for their team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Those people with "hopelessness" have attached some ridiculous expectation to this team, some benchmark of validation that exists in their own minds, and nowhere else. Nebraska has no right to win anything, not one single game, not one conference title, not one championship. All the money and history and tradition in the world doesn't equate to any expectation of winning anything in the future.

Sometimes I think the best thing for this fan base would be about five straight losing seasons. It'd knock some of this ridiculous baggage off of people, let them just be happy to watch the game, to sit amongst other fans, to have a kickoff on a sunny summer day, nothing more. Let folks get back to understanding what's great about college football.

It isn't X number of wins or championships or trophies, I can guarantee you that.

This is Lincoln, Nebraska. It's different, with different expectations, whether you want to admit it or not. If Nebraska had 5 straight losing seasons, I guarantee you the 6th season most of the fans in red would be expecting their favorite team to be playing for championships. We AREN'T KU, Arky State, or Purdue. Like it or not, we have expectations of our million dollar coaches, behemoth facilities, and superstar athletes. THAT's the difference.

Been this way long before you or I, and it ain't gonna change. Can you really blame fans for wanting to be nationally relevant for the first time in how long?

That being said, there's no reason to be hopeless - we have a chance to be a solid squad and win our division if we put it together and stay healthy. We figure things out and who knows - anything can happen in the conference title game.

I have and always will have hope. I have hope for every sport not just football. Nebraska will make it back to the top. As the article says, this is the "last door" Nebraska needed to try. I really do think if this defense doesn't get better as an overall unit something does need to happen. I can't stand watching a team sling it all over the field.

I marked 'hopelessness'. I don't know if it would be accurate to say 'hopelessness' as much as accepting. I just think what we're seeing, 8-4 or 9-3 is the new normal.

New? Something like 10 of the last 12 years.

If the (very vocal) critics of Bo's recruiting/roster management were close to the mark, then a mediocre talent level team this season cannot be surprising. However, what a coach is able to build over their tenure has little to do with how things start out. This is true of most coaches. I mean, it's like giving up on a game after one quarter.

Plainly it's not going to be trivial to lift this team out of the mire of mediocrity it's been in. How long that will take, well, we'll have to see.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! The huskers dominated opponents on the ground and controlled the clock and wore out defenses then punished quarterbacks who tried to throw. I think that the game hasn't changed all that much but the way they play it. I have hope in these talented athletes to compete just need to get it together and stop being complacent about every play from 15:00 mins in the first to 00:00 in the fourth FOOTBALL IS A GAME OF INCHES. The huskers just need to make the most out of every tiny little opportunity.I have hope I'm a Husker fan

I marked 'hopelessness'. I don't know if it would be accurate to say 'hopelessness' as much as accepting. I just think what we're seeing, 8-4 or 9-3 is the new normal.

New? Something like 10 of the last 12 years.

If the (very vocal) critics of Bo's recruiting/roster management were close to the mark, then a mediocre talent level team this season cannot be surprising. However, what a coach is able to build over their tenure has little to do with how things start out. This is true of most coaches. I mean, it's like giving up on a game after one quarter.

Plainly it's not going to be trivial to lift this team out of the mire of mediocrity it's been in. How long that will take, well, we'll have to see.

Mired in mediocrity, and with a lifetime W/L record of 148-148, we have the perfect coach to keep us there!

Hope!

I have been vested in Nebraska sports my whole life and have had hope with each coach in each sport that we field a team in.

3 games into this season, I sure as hell am not having a garage sale to rid myself of Husker memorabilia. Does the loss hurt? Sure. Could we have won that game? Yes.

I am not going to defend my fandom nor insult others who have selected hopelessness as their answer. To each their own!

There will be plenty of time in the future after the cupboards are stocked properly to make a rational decision on what MR's impact is on this program. Along with some of the poor play I seen this weekend, I seen improvement as well in some facets. If you did not see it, then so be it? Either way, it don't matter to me. I planned on a tough season filled with hope and I am in it for the long run. Once again, I am not knocking those of you who feel haplessness, as it is your right to feel as you do.

What a miserable, spoiled, silly attitude to be hopeless. It's like you can't enjoy being a fan of a team if they aren't vying for, or winning, some kind of championship.

There are Purdue fans out there with hope. There are Arkansas State fans out there with hope. There are Kansas fans with hope. Why? Those teams don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning any kind of title, whether that's conference championship or national championship. If they can't have those, what's the use of hope?

They hope because they have a simple, no-strings-attached love for their team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Those people with "hopelessness" have attached some ridiculous expectation to this team, some benchmark of validation that exists in their own minds, and nowhere else. Nebraska has no right to win anything, not one single game, not one conference title, not one championship. All the money and history and tradition in the world doesn't equate to any expectation of winning anything in the future.

Sometimes I think the best thing for this fan base would be about five straight losing seasons. It'd knock some of this ridiculous baggage off of people, let them just be happy to watch the game, to sit amongst other fans, to have a kickoff on a sunny summer day, nothing more. Let folks get back to understanding what's great about college football.

It isn't X number of wins or championships or trophies, I can guarantee you that.

I was thinking going into this season we'd win 6-7 games. I hoped for more, but I was trying to be realistic. But this team has torn that hope away from me.

But hey... There's always next year. For now, though, I'm resigned to what we have become. A below average football program.