Some guys need to listen to this segment from Sharp and Benning this morning

NUinID

Also, I don't agree with the schedule assessments they're making. I think Miami is good, maybe even Top 25 good...but I don't see where Miami is heads and shoulders above anyone else on our schedule. For example, tOSU has excellent playmakers all over the field on both sides of the ball, I do think that MSU's Conner Cook is much better than billed, and I don't think Miami's defense was anything close to stout, and we'll see much better defenses (MSU, tOSU, Wisky?) in B1G play.

Do I think the sky is falling? No. But I am worried that our coaches are Cosgroving ourselves out of games (e.g. our OC's 3rd and short calls this season, the lack of our hands team on the field in OT, our defensive scheme, lack of O-Line substitution), and if Riley will do what is necessary (up to and including changing staff) to get the job done.

Ohio State isn't on our schedule, unless you are assuming we win the West.

He did qualify the B1G defenses by excluding MSU from the generalization. I agree that there are very good defenses left on our schedule, but I think he was more just referencing the talent and athleticism, which Miami has in spades, and squanders with bad coaching. I agree that we shouldn't underestimate the B1g west's defenses, though, because the coaching is better.

On offense, I agree that Connor Cook is an NFL level QB, and he missed that in his statements, but do you really think there are any other offenses left on our schedule that scare you?

Yup, I'm making that assumption, in spite of recent events. That, and with the key injuries this team has had this season...I don't know if we've really even seen what we truly look like. The more I think about it, though, the more likely it's going to be a rematch with MSU than it would be a game against tOSU.

As for other offenses, yes. In particular, Illinois and Rutgers, because they're a) both on the road, and b) their strengths play directly into our defense's greatest weakness. Until we can prove that this team can successfully cover competent WRs or above, any team that is proficient or better at passing becomes a threat.

That doesn't mean I think we're going to lose to Illinois or Rutgers or that we're doomed--they have other flaws that DoNU can exploit. Just saying that if the stars align and we can't take advantage of what's available, they have an offense that will keep them in the game, and I wouldn't be shocked to see us drop one of those two.

FWIW, I predicted a 6-2 run in the B1G, winning the West and playing MSU in the title game, losing only to MSU and dropping one we shouldn't (likely Illinois or Rutgers). So I'm not trying to gloom/doom here, but I'm not full of sunshine, warm hugs, and swizzle sticks, either...especially when it concerns our defense.

ok...some minor corrections...IA State Husker.

Aaron, I've known since high school. All-State QB in High School. Starting QB at Nebraska Wesleyan. And is not a paid assistant at GISH. However....He is the "Professor" of football. He absolutely should coach, but I'm sure family time and coaching other sports right now are a priority. Benning, I believe, played against Aaron in HS in a game or 2. GI was regularly a very tough team to play in the late 80's and 1990 while Coach Ken Fischer was the head coach. Nationally ranked on a few occassions as well. (1990 for sure, but so was Papillion-LaVista that year). Aaron's knowledge of the game of football is astounding and that's why he's asked for his thoughts after every game. Every time I see Aaron, I make a point of picking his brain and ideas...for all sports, not just football.

ok...some minor corrections...IA State Husker.

Aaron, I've known since high school. All-State QB in High School. Starting QB at Nebraska Wesleyan. And is not a paid assistant at GISH. However....He is the "Professor" of football. He absolutely should coach, but I'm sure family time and coaching other sports right now are a priority. Benning, I believe, played against Aaron in HS in a game or 2. GI was regularly a very tough team to play in the late 80's and 1990 while Coach Ken Fischer was the head coach. Nationally ranked on a few occassions as well. (1990 for sure, but so was Papillion-LaVista that year). Aaron's knowledge of the game of football is astounding and that's why he's asked for his thoughts after every game. Every time I see Aaron, I make a point of picking his brain and ideas...for all sports, not just football.

Thanks for the clarification!

On the segment they did not elaborate on Aaron's background information, they only say he is "professor Aaron Semm". NU in ID stated that he didn't know who Aaron was, but he liked the analysis. I also was impressed with it, and wanted to help people access it who couldn't listen to the podcast, or didn't have time.

I tried to figure out who he was, so I did a few google searches, and in the short time I had, that was the info I found. In retrospect I should have stated where I had gotten the info, so as not to sound like an authority on the subject. Would be nice if D&B would give a little more info when they bring him on instead of assuming we all know.

Anyway, tell him we appreciate his perspective the next time you see him. I'm sure many would love to see him post on this board if he is into that kind of thing.

Fair points. I had basically written off Rutgers and Illinois in my mind after their losses, but I hope our staff doesn't make the same mistake.

Thanks...and sorry. :hmmph Wish this wasn't the case.

I just *really* hope I'm not right about this staff 'Cosgroving' their way through the season, and that Riley forces them to adapt and not repeat those mistakes.

My prediction was 7 - 5 and I still think 7 - 5. Definitely not gonna win against Wisconsin or Michigan St. which would round out 4 losses, but another loss to either Iowa or Minnesota would make it 5 losses. Every other game should be winnable, albeit close.

What makes you garauntee a loss to Wisconsin? They haven't impressed me at all. And for that matter, I know it's still Michigan St and they're a good football team, but giving up 21 points to Air Force leads me to believe we won't have as much problem scoring on them as some think. That game being at night in memorial stadium gives us more than a punchers chance in my eyes.

My prediction was 7 - 5 and I still think 7 - 5. Definitely not gonna win against Wisconsin or Michigan St. which would round out 4 losses, but another loss to either Iowa or Minnesota would make it 5 losses. Every other game should be winnable, albeit close.

What makes you garauntee a loss to Wisconsin? They haven't impressed me at all. And for that matter, I know it's still Michigan St and they're a good football team, but giving up 21 points to Air Force leads me to believe we won't have as much problem scoring on them as some think. That game being at night in memorial stadium gives us more than a punchers chance in my eyes.

I have never understood chalking up a loss in a game before it happens either. If Nebraska loses to Wisconsin because Joel Stave passes for 300 and 4 TD so be it, but I want to see it first. He hasn't shown that yet this year. He looks better, but still nothing super elite. I want to see NU shut down their running game which I hope, pray, and think they will finally try to do.

Never look at a tough win against a decent triple option team as a reason for anything other than a win. Don't read too much into it. Mark Dantonio exhaled very deeply after that game was over and said we survived, none of my d-linemen lost a knee because of all the cut blocking and we can move on to the next challenge.

That doesn't mean that NU can't play with MSU just don't look at AF playing it fairly close with MSU as an indication of weakness. AF's advantage is that they play a completely different style of game than most teams. This requires a different style of defense play on the other teams part and also causes the offense to adjust.

I have never understood chalking up a loss in a game before it happens either. If Nebraska loses to Wisconsin because Joel Stave passes for 300 and 4 TD so be it, but I want to see it first. He hasn't shown that yet this year. He looks better, but still nothing super elite. I want to see NU shut down their running game which I hope, pray, and think they will finally try to do.

Never look at a tough win against a decent triple option team as a reason for anything other than a win. Don't read too much into it. Mark Dantonio exhaled very deeply after that game was over and said we survived, none of my d-linemen lost a knee because of all the cut blocking and we can move on to the next challenge.

That doesn't mean that NU can't play with MSU just don't look at AF playing it fairly close with MSU as an indication of weakness. AF's advantage is that they play a completely different style of game than most teams. This requires a different style of defense play on the other teams part and also causes the offense to adjust.

I completely understand the notion of how AF plays and how hard that is to defend. Obviously thats a pretty big reason for G-Tech's success as well. However, If their defense is as good as everyone has said they were, talent, physicality, awareness, and everything else that goes into making a good defense are all things MSU supposedly has. I may be a little ignorant, and please correct me if I'm wrong cuz i really didn't get a chance to watch much of that game, but i didn't see much of any of that. I know that they may have come out flat, or it was simply an anomaly of a game and no one plays as well as possible every time out. But I also see no reason why we don't have a chance to compete against MSU as some are alluding to.

Fair points. I had basically written off Rutgers and Illinois in my mind after their losses, but I hope our staff doesn't make the same mistake.

Thanks...and sorry. :hmmph Wish this wasn't the case.

I just *really* hope I'm not right about this staff 'Cosgroving' their way through the season, and that Riley forces them to adapt and not repeat those mistakes.

With Caroo suspended, does Rutgers have any WRs that can stretch the field?

Personally I would be more worried about beating Southern Mississippi, than even considering what might happen the following weeks. This team needs a good win to keep the low life wolves off of them.

As I see it, every game is tough, and not won until the whistle blows at 00:00. We have counted victories before that never quite came true.

Do not take my comments as anything against this staff or team. Any team can beat any other team on a given day. We need to get our ducks in line and worry about Michigan State when ever the hell we are scheduled to play them.