Banker = Cosgrove

Bankers D is also Narduzzis D. You know. Ghe one we all drool over.

And Cosgroves D wasnt half this bad his first 4 games. The defense carried the team to their wins that first year.

Not really. Narduzzi doesn't play soft on the corners nearly as much as we do.

Untrue. Boundary corner does play soft. I remember commenting on that before when watching MSU.

with inside technique. Use the boundry. Cuz theres no help in the middle. And big plays will happen.

And we play outside. Which is why Fabian Washington was freaking out on twitter last week.

Bankers D is also Narduzzis D.

We'd be running this defense if Narduzzi was hired instead of Riley/Banker. Maybe Narduzzi could teach it better than Banker, maybe Narduzzi's scheme struggles with these players.Regardless, this is the group of players we have. It's up to the coaches to figure out how to make it work with these guys. No way it's going to be acceptable by Husker Fans to give up 300 yards passing over and over and over.

Just looked up MSU 2007 numbers as that was Narduzzi's first year there. Gave up 250-350 yards to almost everyone the first part of the year. The outliers gave up a ton on the ground (maybe an adjustment that opened up rushing, maybe those teams couldn't pass. I didn't look that up). Maybe it takes awhile? I sure hope that is what's up.

I'd put our talent up against 2007 MSU in a heartbeat.

I want improvement as much as you, but teaching a technique has a lot less to do with physical talent and a lot more to do with repetition in several different scenarios. If you've every coached any sport you have noticed that.

We aren't doing well right now

We'd be running this defense if Narduzzi was hired instead of Riley/Banker. Maybe Narduzzi could teach it better than Banker, maybe Narduzzi's scheme struggles with these players.Regardless, this is the group of players we have. It's up to the coaches to figure out how to make it work with these guys. No way it's going to be acceptable by Husker Fans to give up 300 yards passing over and over and over.

Just looked up MSU 2007 numbers as that was Narduzzi's first year there. Gave up 250-350 yards to almost everyone the first part of the year. The outliers gave up a ton on the ground (maybe an adjustment that opened up rushing, maybe those teams couldn't pass. I didn't look that up). Maybe it takes awhile? I sure hope that is what's up.

I want improvement as much as you, but teaching a technique has a lot less to do with physical talent and a lot more to do with repetition in several different scenarios. If you've every coached any sport you have noticed that.

I have coached sports, and I know to find out what my kids can do best, and gameplan around that.

I think some perspective is needed anyway. I think the whole "simpler" thing was gonna make it better. What folks fail to realize, and if they only knew the ins and outs of it, theyd know that at this point the defense has gone through a much larger overhaul in terms of dcheme than the offense. So many times the offense is being put into comfortable playcalls. The defense is playing a night and day different scheme with completely opposite ideals. Stop the run. No over coverage. Under zone instead of matchup freein the backers to focus on the run and qb run game.

If all of this is true, then this is bad coaching.

How many times did we all talk until we were blue in the face, from an offensive perspective, about how important it is for a new coaching staff to merge what they do with what the players are capable of doing starting out, instead of trying to immediately force them into something completely foreign, ala Bill Callahan and the WCO?

Regardless, you guys act like we've got a bunch of JV second stringers in our secondary. We don't. Our players might not be as talented as as a Marquees Dennard, but they're far from talentless. There's no good reason, against the competition we've faced, and with the players we have, for us to be this terrible against the pass.

Worse than last year? Sure. Some legitimate growing pains? I could totally buy into that. Dead last in the country against a true freshman backup, two non-P5 teams and Brad Kaaya? No way son.

• Fire 3

I think there is some truth to it if he can't adjust. Have to have more answers in the secondary. Too simple, can't give up inside routes in obvious passing situations.

I am beating a dead horse with this quote, but here it is again......

“We could have rolled the corners up and played the safeties over the top, but in that game, it wasn’t about statistics,” Banker said of the South Alabama game. “It was about getting those guys ready to play those balls.”

Stewart hinted that NU does have fixes that it didn’t have to show against South Alabama.

“We were ahead by a few points,” Stewart said, “so there was no need in tipping our hand and showing them other things when we can just ride it out and get our guys to play 50-50 balls.” (for the record IIRC Davie was beat by USA 8 out of 11...not 50/50)

So Miami I expected some schematic changes. You know "play the safeties over the top" or see what "fixes" Stewart hinted at. Nope. Kaaya ate Davie alive and the board erupted about how bad Davie was..... Pointing out how many points he gave up............

Now in comes lowly Southern Miss. Any fixes? Any safeties over the top? Nope. JUST 447 friggin YARDS THROUGH THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We used Cockrell, Jones, Kalu, Rose and we still got schooled. A$$ kicked by a team that IIRC averaged 306 yards coming in......

ITS NOT THE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its the scheme and 4 games in, Stewart and Banker can't adjust. This is what we have until they are gone.

This crap about elite corners who can play on an Island..... Name me 10 in the NFL. Everyone loves the lock down corner, but they are few and far between. Even Seattle with Richard Sherman has a safety that rides the top. They bring one in the box to help the run and then one high to help the DB's.........

If we can't generate enough of a pass rush, then its the wrong friggin scheme. If we do not have elite corners, its a scheme issue. You continue to roll this sh!t show out week after week and call id a defense you are in denial......

• Fire 4

Bankers D is also Narduzzis D. You know. Ghe one we all drool over.

And Cosgroves D wasnt half this bad his first 4 games. The defense carried the team to their wins that first year.

Where is the disconnect coming from Narduzzi's results and ours? Is it just a talent issue or is there something we are doing differently than what Narduzzi coaches at a fundamental level? Asking in general as I am not well versed in the X and O strategy of a defense. If it is not just talent what things need to be tweaked so we can generate more pressure and start defending the pass at least moderately well?

It's a combination. We can't discount the fact that this is a new coordinator coaching a scheme to players that have 1) only been studying it for 6-8 months and 2) weren't recruited by said coach. This is the biggest problem, more so than talent or something we do fundamentally different. The players are learning a new language and trying not to make mistakes.

So, in a nut shell, that should answer your question. Guys are missing their assignments pretty badly and we're still not getting a consistent pressure against opposing QB's - some of that was on the offense for sputtering and some of that is on the defense. That said, there are persistent problems that haven't been fixed that I thought would've shown a bit more progress by now.

The thing that drives me absolutely nuts is our corner just don't make plays on the ball at all. Sometimes it's not that they're even out of position - they just flat out don't make a play. I can't remember for certain who it was, but, just before Kalu got called for that ridiculous pass interference, So. Miss almost scored a touchdown on a crossing route. Fortunately, their WR dropped the ball, but we had a corner right there to make a play.

There were also several plays where our guy could've either knocked a pass down or jumped up to make a play and they just didn't. This game made it pretty obvious to me that it's not just a lack of pressure creating problems for the secondary - this seconday just doesn't effectively make a play on the ball.

Is this a thing that can be coached into a player or will we have to wait to go out and recruit guys that have naturally good ball skills? Basically is this process going to take all new personnel or between the learning process and becoming comfortable with the scheme and coaching guys can we see improvement by year end?

I have coached sports, and I know to find out what my kids can do best, and gameplan around that.

Technique and game planning are two completely different things.

I think some perspective is needed anyway. I think the whole "simpler" thing was gonna make it better. What folks fail to realize, and if they only knew the ins and outs of it, theyd know that at this point the defense has gone through a much larger overhaul in terms of dcheme than the offense. So many times the offense is being put into comfortable playcalls. The defense is playing a night and day different scheme with completely opposite ideals. Stop the run. No over coverage. Under zone instead of matchup freein the backers to focus on the run and qb run game.

If all of this is true, then this is bad coaching.

How many times did we all talk until we were blue in the face, from an offensive perspective, about how important it is for a new coaching staff to merge what they do with what the players are capable of doing starting out, instead of trying to immediately force them into something completely foreign, ala Bill Callahan and the WCO?

Regardless, you guys act like we've got a bunch of JV second stringers in our secondary. We don't. Our players might not be as talented as as a Marquees Dennard, but they're far from talentless. There's no good reason, against the competition we've faced, and with the players we have, for us to be this terrible against the pass.

Worse than last year? Sure. Some legitimate growing pains? I could totally buy into that. Dead last in the country against a true freshman backup, two non-P5 teams and Brad Kaaya? No way son.

Great point about how we would be mad if the offense was changing everything dramatically (even though it seems like they are, the offense may just have better coaches) and not producing results, but we are giving a free pass to the defense drastically changing everything and completely sucking.

Technique and game planning are two completely different things.

Not when you're trying to square peg-round hole it. You can want perfect technique all day long, but the fact is, you gotta be able to adjust.

If Bo's guys had played with better technique, we'd have had a better defense. It doesn't mean the scheme didn't suck.

Bottom line is i have no problem with these early assumptions that banker wont be able to get it done. I just wanted to make a point to defend the scheme conceptually because it works. Theres more than one way to skin a cat. Any scheme works if you have the right match of personnel skill and teaching ability. I have no issue with the question marks in both columns right now. Just dont blame the scheme and call it outdated and impossible to succeed.