Off Field Support

What are the limits for support staff that do not interact with players or recruits? Is it possible to get great minds in the back office to break down film and scheme for opponents? I always thought Shawn Watson was a genius at preparing a game plan, but lousy at in game adjustments. IMO, this would be a perfect job for someone like Watson. You wouldn't have to live in Lincoln either. Just review the film, come up with plans, and have a few WebExs.

Mike Nobler is the "Football Video Coordinator" and he has an assistant, too. Not sure if he breaks down opponents, but I'm sure he makes it a lot easier for the coaches to quickly access the film they need to make evaluations. Just a guess.

Nobler is no longer with the athletic department, or at least I don't think he is.

Mike Nobler is the "Football Video Coordinator" and he has an assistant, too. Not sure if he breaks down opponents, but I'm sure he makes it a lot easier for the coaches to quickly access the film they need to make evaluations. Just a guess.

Nobler is no longer with the athletic department, or at least I don't think he is.
I think you are right. I believe Nobler was tied to the Pelini staff and shown the door after Bo was canned.

I think you are right. I believe Nobler was tied to the Pelini staff and shown the door after Bo was canned.

oops. Guess it is now Greg Vaughn. I think I accidentally linked to an older version of the support staff page on Huskers.com. Weird.

I was thinking of coaches who either do not enjoy the pressure of game day, those who have not done well with in game adjustments, or those who have aged and don't want to recruit anymore. It would be nice to have some great football minds looking for weaknesses to exploit while the rest of the coaches work with players and recruit. IMO this is a perfect job for Shawn Watson. He always seemed to have a solid game plan, but he was lost when the opposing staff made adjustments.

Maybe the new "Sports Analytics" department could try its hand at evaluating opponent's tendencies and weaknesses? I know it is a more rigid approach than what you are suggesting, but if memory serves, they are still figuring out their exact role in the Athletic Dept, and we are already paying them, so....

I doubt the support staff does much in the way of game planning but they do a lot of prep work. They cut up the video so the coaches can see opponents' tendencies and what they do in different situations - What do thy do on 2nd and long? On third and short? etc. I would guess it's much more about guys who are good with the video editors than anything - wouldn't necessarily have to know much about football, though I'm sure it helps. A lot of that job could probably be done from anywhere but if someone was involved in any sort of game planning, they would almost have to be in Lincoln.

I was thinking of coaches who either do not enjoy the pressure of game day, those who have not done well with in game adjustments, or those who have aged and don't want to recruit anymore. It would be nice to have some great football minds looking for weaknesses to exploit while the rest of the coaches work with players and recruit. IMO this is a perfect job for Shawn Watson. He always seemed to have a solid game plan, but he was lost when the opposing staff made adjustments.

I am not so sure Langsdorf is the one that needs help like this. But you know you kind of described Bo maybe he would do this for our Db's lol