Gun control ideas

I am not hunter nor do I own a gun. I have nothing against hunting or legal gun ownership for hunting. I understand why the second amendment was put into our constitution. I have never understood the need for handguns to be sold in the United States at this time. A handguns purpose is for killing people.

I am not hunter nor do I own a gun. I have nothing against hunting or legal gun ownership for hunting. I understand why the second amendment was put into our constitution. I have never understood the need for handguns to be sold in the United States at this time. A handguns purpose is for killing people.

That's actually pretty interesting. I've shot a few different handguns in the past 5-6 years. All it's ever been for is for target practice at a range or out in the wilderness in South Dakota at my brother's previous ranch house. Other instances were shooting a .22 just for passing time firing at random debris in the canals near Gothenburg while other family members were shooting blue rock.

It's definitely a recreational thing more so than a "protection" thing. Funny thing is, I actually just about started the process of buying a handgun this weekend, and every time I think about it...I keep coming back to...what the heck would I use it for? There's like a .000000005% chance someone will come into my home on a random night and confront me with a weapon. Ya it could happen, but that's not why anyone buys a handgun. Unless they live in inner city Chicago or North Omaha...

• Fire 1

Is the drop in DUI related deaths related to more effective education or efficient enforcement?

There has been a reduction in gun related homicides and violence since 1993.

http://nij.gov/topics/crime/gun-violence/Pages/welcome.aspx

Is this education related or enforcement? I know that the AG (Holder) said they don't investigate all the people that violate the questionnaires that are required prior to a gun related purchase. If there are laws on the books that are passed to weed out criminals from purchasing weapons legally, why aren't they being enforced? It ain't the NRA doing that.

nope to both saunders. not really sure how they got them, but they aren't dealers nor are they affluent

So, they're rifles, not automatics. That's what I was getting at. I have an AR-15, and it's functionally identical to the mini-14 hunting rifle I learned to shoot with 20 years ago, and they have been in existence for 60 years. Automatic weapons are no longer manufactured and sold to civilians, so the only ones out there for civilians are the limited number of pre-ban ones (and are in the $15-20K range) or have connections. Any automatics built after 1986 are only available for corporations, police, and military, government entities.

Ease up on them Saunders, it's a given that most of your Gun Control Experts actually know jack sh#t about guns or existing laws. Providing them with facts they don't like/understand just forces them into other illogical forms of arguments ; Moral Equivalence, "Civilized 1st World Nations", Door stickers that magically stop guns, etc...

They like to recite tragic history, mass shootings a particular favorite. Toss Lexington & Concorde at them and let them research that thoroughly...

I'll stick with one argument. MOLON LABE

• Fire 3

nope to both saunders. not really sure how they got them, but they aren't dealers nor are they affluent

So you are saying your poor, non fire arms dealer friends own automatic assault rifles?

Is that legal?

Nope, it's not, so congrats on allowing illegal activity to go on, you're part of the problem LOMS. My guess is they aren't fully automatic, they are probably semi-automatic because you have to have a special license from the feds to own such a rifle. As a cop I can't even get a fully automatic rifle without a special license and neither can my department.

I love the term "assault rifle" too. I can take a hunting rifle, paint it black, and some of you would consider that an assault rifle. Put restrictions on things and you are only taking guns out of the good people's hands. The bad guys are still going to get guns, but no matter how much that's a fact, some folks just can't figure that out. I'm not advocating doing nothing either, but an all out ban isn't the answer.

• Fire 4

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly have never seen a proposed gun law that is going to have a major affect on decreasing murder rates unless you make it legal for cops to stop and search people simply walking down the street in these crappy cities. THAT is where the murder rates are horrible. Not in rural areas where....I would guess actually there are more guns. No, I'm not saying the more guns in rural areas is why there are fewer murders. It's a cultural thing where gun violence is just a part of life in these hell holes. No, it doesn't have to do with poverty. There are areas of great poverty where there isn't anywhere close to this amount of murder rates.

BUT....nobody wants to go down that road because they will be labeled racist and lose votes. Where are the leaders in these areas standing up against this culture of violence? Where are the families who raise their kids to not want to be violent? Oh...yeah....that parent is the meth whore who is f'ing 10 guys a day to feed her addiction instead of actually giving her child a loving home. OH yeah...Where's the father? OH....he is probably selling the meth down on the street corner. THESE are the kids that grow up thinking they need to be tough and have a gun while being in a gang and popping someone in the ass just for looking at them wrong or wearing the wrong colors.

THAT is the culture and the issues that we need to be dealing with. If you deal with those issues, the gun violence goes WAY down.

Now, are we willing to give the cops the right to go into these neighborhoods and search for guns and take them? Yeah.....that would go over really well with the ACLU and NAACP along with every Democrat running for every office. Jessy Jackson would have a field day raising more money so he can live in a fancy house.

• Fire 1

I'm a supporter of fingerprint recognition triggers

Let us all know when they make one that actually works (because they don't), and then I'll still be against them. What if I want or need someone else to shoot my firearm?

That's not home defense and not for hunting.

The second amendment is about shooting at a government or enemy that oppresses the citizenry. Home defense and hunting has nothing to do with the Second Amendment.

• Fire 3

I have never understood the need for handguns to be sold in the United States at this time. A handguns purpose is for killing people.

Actually, a handgun is to keep people from killing you, or at least that is how the military always thought. That is why they were issued to officers, artillerymen, or a backup weapon to a machine gunner. They are considered defensive weapons.

When the military actually wants you to kill someone else, then they issued rifles, submachine guns, rmachine guns, etc.

You really aren't against people keeping themselves from getting killed by owning or using a handgun, are you?

• Fire 2

Yes. The problem is, the CDC is barred from it.

Why? The NRA didn't like it. And Congress defunded it until they complied.

Maybe because firearm ownership is not a disease.

If the CDC is going to look into firearms, is the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms going to track Ebola?

• Fire 2

also, still horrified and thinking it has to be some kind of epic trolling joke that people still actually think "oh the bad people will still get them anyways so you might as well not even try"

That is the logic that courses through the present government view on illegal aliens. If we can't deport the very last one, then why even try to catch the first one?

So until you can get hold of someone in this administration and straighten them out on this kind of flawed logic, it will continue to be pervasive.

By the way, statistics and anecdotal evidence overwhelmingly supports the conclusion that legal firearms ownership plays a positive influence in preventing crime.

• Fire 1

What ideas do people think we should have for gum control? If any?

I'm a supporter of fingerprint recognition triggers

Some type of mental evaluation

And does anyone really need an ak47 with a fully automatic and 3000 round banana clip? That's not home defense and not for hunting. All it does is serve as compensation for something you feel inferior about.

The only people with something like that are either rich (because automatic weapons cost $10k+), or have a government connection.

or criminals