So Tommy Decided to Pass?

After re-assembling my head that previously exploded across my room, Sam McKewon says Tommy improved the pass that put the nation's worst pass defense into a tough game-saving situation:

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed. I searched and didn't see anything.

According to Mike Riley, the 3rd down call was a bootleg run. No pass. The pass was an improv.

QB Tommy Armstrong didn't want to comment after the game. Went straight to the bus. Declined when I asked him.

Nebraska did not call a pass on 3rd and seven. It was a QB sweep, no route combinations for pass.

From his twitter btw:

@swmckewonOWH

• Fire 1

Sounds like you don't want to hear any other opinion, and that's cool. We're all pissed.

But if the coaches tell the quarterback to run the ball, and the quarterback passes the ball... well, what? Should we have our coaches out there holding his hand like Pop Warner?

If the QB decides to pass the ball in that situation, even though you tell him not to, it's on the QB.

• Fire 4

Right, don't even call anything that remotely looks like a pass. A hand off to Jano again was going to run the clock down to :20. Take the delay, punt, :13 second left for Illinois to go 80 yards. But with Gerry there patrolling the back end, I suppose that could have happened with :01 left.

• Fire 2

Sounds like you don't want to hear any other opinion, and that's cool. We're all pissed.

But if the coaches tell the quarterback to run the ball, and the quarterback passes the ball... well, what? Should we have our coaches out there holding his hand like Pop Warner?

If the QB decides to pass the ball in that situation, even though you tell him not to, it's on the QB.

No. If you don't want a pass, you call a play that has him hand the damn ball off. Especially when you're paid millions of dollars.

• Fire 2

It was a horrible play call, but Tommy, with all his progression that everyone on here talks about (I'm not seeing it) made the decision to throw it.

But, again, 20 incompletions on the afternoon would have signalled to me as a play caller, Run, Run, Run. I wouldn't even have looked at the color coded pass plays on my pretty play chart.