So Tommy Decided to Pass?

I hope this isn't the narrative going forward. The play calling decisions in a gale force wind and sideways rain should be the real story. 31 pass lays in those cnditions when you are ahead the entire game. What the f#*k?

Forget the last two plays. How about they answer for the other 59 minutes of terrible decisions.

Can't argue with that.

Our receivers were horrible. And sometimes passes were behind them.

But that 3rd down ... yeah, that is a pretty big part of the narrative.

Sam seems to think so too.

It was a called pass and they are trying to cover their worthless asses. Ozigbo was looking for the ball in the flat and not blocking. These players deserve better.

Hahaha and where are your references? I would love to see your sources.

Watch the game?

I did.

And that's why I am so baffled by that play.

There might ... just MIGHT ... be more to the story than what you saw in your living room. Just providing a little more context.

Go question Sam. How dare he question your opinion.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/examining-what-the-heck-happened-the-rd-and--that/article_3b7728dc-6a2e-11e5-9a74-03605936afa2.html

Sam isn't saying anything. He's reporting the coachspeak where Riley and Langsdorf threw their QB under the Bus, and Tommy refused to do an interview afterwards.

Sky falling much?

It's October, we just lost to Illinois, and we have a losing record. So, it's close?

• Fire 1

Even if it was supposed to be a designed roll out that's a dumb call, just hand the ball of and let your back pick up the 1st down. Even if he doesn't get it they don't have enough time to drive down field. Coaching staff instead tries to get cute

The fake wasn't even very good. It looked almost like a busted play from the start, anyway. Anything outside of the tackles at that point was a bad play call.

I thought it was a busted play. I also thought MR should have called a time out and told TA not to throw the ball no matter what. The other thing I don't understand is that if the staff was not going to kick the FG, then they knew they had two plays to get the first down, and run the clock, so why run the ball?

I hope this isn't the narrative going forward. The play calling decisions in a gale force wind and sideways rain should be the real story. 31 pass lays in those cnditions when you are ahead the entire game. What the f#*k?

Forget the last two plays. How about they answer for the other 59 minutes of terrible decisions.

Amen. We are rightly skewering one of the single worst calls in the history of Nebraska football, but that one call is only the crest of a tidal wave of stupid. Langsdorf is a freaking joke. Mike Riley's "Real will to run the football" is a load of horsesh#it. They have no will to run the football. They want to run some half-assed muddled mess of an offense with the pass defense to match. After living through the Callahan era, this is more depressing than words can describe.

Oh, and I'll throw it out there. Why was DPE in the game? Was there some secret plan there? I saw one muffed punt and one screen, then to the bench.

• Fire 2

It was a called pass and they are trying to cover their worthless asses. Ozigbo was looking for the ball in the flat and not blocking. These players deserve better.

Watch the game?

I did.

There might ... just MIGHT ... be more to the story than what you saw in your living room. Just providing a little more context.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/examining-what-the-heck-happened-the-rd-and--that/article_3b7728dc-6a2e-11e5-9a74-03605936afa2.html

Sam isn't saying anything. He's reporting the coachspeak where Riley and Langsdorf threw their QB under the Bus, and Tommy refused to do an interview afterwards.

Sky falling much?

It's October, we just lost to Illinois, and we have a losing record. So, it's close?

I have appreciated these coaches honesty and transparency so far. Answering a direct question about whether there was a passing option on the play isn't "throwing Tommy under the bus," any more than sitting Danial Davie for his inability to cover basic passes was throwing him under the bus. Sometimes the truth just lands on specific players.

Riley could have added though, that the one play isn't the reason we lost (which it wasn't). We had 59 other minutes to put that game away.

• Fire 3

Watch the game?

I did.

Sky falling much?

I have appreciated these coaches honesty and transparency so far. Answering a direct question about whether there was a passing option on the play isn't "throwing Tommy under the bus," any more than sitting Danial Davie for his inability to cover basic passes was throwing him under the bus. Sometimes the truth just lands on specific players.

Riley could have added though, that the one play isn't the reason we lost (which it wasn't). We had 59 other minutes to put that game away.

Your QB was 10-28 and was having a really bad game. You have :55 seconds left in the game. Run the damn ball between the tackles, get it to under :15 seconds and either run another play or punt, and you have a 99.999999% chance of victory.

Instead, we did the exact opposite, and lost. And that's ignoring the previous 59 minutes if incompetence.

• Fire 3

Exactly. It doesn't matter if Tommy improvised that third down pass. The game should never have come down to that, and games NEVER hinge on one play.

I think this is the problem for Nebraska right now. Not good enough to really blow teams out, so games are going to come down to one or two plays late in the game. So, when it does, the coaches need to learn from their past mistakes (BYU) and do something a little different.

The one thing really seems to hold us back is the lack of killer instinct. This is a mindset thing that we have had for a very long time now. When we're down at the end of the game and need a miraculous comeback we start playing tough. But for whatever reason, when we're in the lead we just can never put it away. We've had some very good comebacks before (Michigan State, OSU, even Miami this year). I don't know how many times we have blew a lead and lost a game that we should have one (OU in the BIGXII Championship game which would have helped Bo's case for staying, BYU, tonight). Heck, even the 408 game. I thought we were gonna roll in the first quarter after our fast start. I was hoping Riley could fix this, but we've already blown two leads this year and nearly a third to S. Miss, so I'm pretty worried.

I think it's bigger than a single bad play call or coach or player. There just hasn't been something right in the mental game.

• Fire 1

Watch the game?

I did.

Sky falling much?

Agree with everything you said.

All evidence seems to point that way. There has been nothing about Riley and staff that makes me believe they're throwing anyone under the bus to save their jobs hahaha.

Frankly, I thought the play calling was fairly good, and that's what blew my mind about that call. We did stop throwing, for the most part, towards the end of the game when it was clear it just wasn't our day through the air. But now it all seems to make sense to me.

And, yeah, passes ARE called in crappy weather ... as I watch a horribly-executed ND-Clemson game, because of all the rain. You still have to try to get your play-makers open to make a play.

Exactly. It doesn't matter if Tommy improvised that third down pass. The game should never have come down to that, and games NEVER hinge on one play.

I think this is the problem for Nebraska right now. Not good enough to really blow teams out, so games are going to come down to one or two plays late in the game. So, when it does, the coaches need to learn from their past mistakes (BYU) and do something a little different.

The one thing really seems to hold us back is the lack of killer instinct. This is a mindset thing that we have had for a very long time now. When we're down at the end of the game and need a miraculous comeback we start playing tough. But for whatever reason, when we're in the lead we just can never put it away. We've had some very good comebacks before (Michigan State, OSU, even Miami this year). I don't know how many times we have blew a lead and lost a game that we should have one (OU in the BIGXII Championship game which would have helped Bo's case for staying, BYU, tonight). Heck, even the 408 game. I thought we were gonna roll in the first quarter after our fast start. I was hoping Riley could fix this, but we've already blown two leads this year and nearly a third to S. Miss, so I'm pretty worried.

I think it's bigger than a single bad play call or coach or player. There just hasn't been something right in the mental game.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Our play seems timid. Maybe it's a lack of confidence.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Our play seems timid. Maybe it's a lack of confidence.

We are nice, tho.

• Fire 1

Watch the game?

I did.

Sky falling much?

Agree with everything you said.

All evidence seems to point that way. There has been nothing about Riley and staff that makes me believe they're throwing anyone under the bus to save their jobs hahaha.

Frankly, I thought the play calling was fairly good, and that's what blew my mind about that call. We did stop throwing, for the most part, towards the end of the game when it was clear it just wasn't our day through the air. But now it all seems to make sense to me.

And, yeah, passes ARE called in crappy weather ... as I watch a horribly-executed ND-Clemson game, because of all the rain. You still have to try to get your play-makers open to make a play.

I thought we called too many deep shots that had veryl little chance of completion in that wind. It seemed like every series we wasted a play on a deep ball. And Riley was right that we never got into a rhythm offensively. I'd like to know why. I'm not sure if the coaches know that right now.

It was clear the weather had a huge impact on our offense. But that was also true of Illinois. We played poorly enough to lose that game by a couple touchdowns.