So Tommy Decided to Pass?

Is something unraveling when coaches throw their QB under the bus?

Because that's exactly what happened.

If they told him not to pass, and he threw it anyway, then what the f#*k do you want the coaches to say?

I want the coaches to say thats my fault. Even if they are lying to me. Now TA will have to get in front of reporters and go over this play all over again. The coach takes the responsibility, that's why they make the big bucks. Dont throw your QB under the bus.

You make a valid point.

I noted earlier in the year that I was surprised at how few shots down the field we were taking - considering how much talk from Riley and others there had been about throwing the deep ball and trying for big plays.

Heck of a game to try to fix that.

If Langsdord and Riley can't look at that and say to themselves "what the f#*k were we thinking", then Lord help them.

• Fire 3

I noted earlier in the year that I was surprised at how few shots down the field we were taking - considering how much talk from Riley and others there had been about throwing the deep ball and trying for big plays.

If Langsdord and Riley can't look at that and say to themselves "what the f#*k were we thinking", then Lord help them.

How much of it is Armstrong doing that on his own and not looking at his other options which could be closer. I believe that Riley and Langs have mentioned that they have receivers at different levels to avoid them running into each other.

https://twitter.com/JonNyatawa/status/650796110135476224

https://twitter.com/JonNyatawa/status/650796234173640704

but they were practically begging us to with all of their cover 3 and quarters coverage lmao

How much of it is Armstrong doing that on his own and not looking at his other options which could be closer. I believe that Riley and Langs have mentioned that they have receivers at different levels to avoid them running into each other.

I caught a small part of the replay yesterday and I was looking for this. There was one deep throw on a 3 and 5ish with a man wide open underneath that would have gotten the first. They were throwing a lot in the third qtr which I believe is when they had the wind behind them. I haven't watched the post game presser but it sounds like Riley gave a vague answer to why they were going deep. He might have been covering up for bad QB decisions? I don't know, it didn't seem like a decision an OC would make. On the other hand they have brought up the need to have bigger plays. Maybe Tommy got frustrated with the dropped passes on shorter routes earlier in the game and decided fine here's a bomb, run under it and catch the dang ball. I liked the earlier games when they were completing the shorter passes and moving the chains. If we had one extra drive resulting in a field goal we get the W.

That's possible, but that doesn't explain why it's so much different than the first four games. Unless he just decided to do that this game for some reason. But with so many of them, you'd think the coaches would have told him to stop at some point if that's not what they were wanting.

That's good to see, at least. Doesn't really mean that much at this point, but it's good to see.

Mavric said:

My only thought on Saturday night regarding this was basically just to lie to myself and say, "Maybe Riley really *is* planning to run against Wisconsin, and didn't want to show off his game plan to them against Illinois and just assumed that it would be a good time to try to work on Tommy's deep looks."

Seems incredibly unlikely. And it's incredibly depressing.

So they're still going with the story that it wasn't a called pass play? I mean, it HAD to be called a pass play, even if that's not what Langsdorf called.

He keeps saying it's normally a pass play, but they tagged it as a run. Seems like a no-brainer to just let Jano run up the gut instead of getting fancy

So they're still going with the story that it wasn't a called pass play? I mean, it HAD to be called a pass play, even if that's not what Langsdorf called.

So I was thinking about all of this, was their wild thinking that, make it look like a pass play, Illinois will never expect you to run with 10 other guys acting like it is a pass. Odd thinking, risky thinking, Armstrong may have instinctively seen wide receivers in routes and a rush in his face, threw the ball.