So Tommy Decided to Pass?

Great point in the LJS. The same was true for BYU as well.

Everybody’s talking about the third down, and we've already hit on it so much we'll leave it alone here. But let’s not forget about that third quarter.

The Huskers scored just three points that quarter with the wind at their backs, while twice starting possessions in Illinois territory, including once after the Illini went for it on fourth down while believing it was third down because that’s what the yard markers told them.

One touchdown in that quarter when so many things stood in Nebraska’s favor and there are no conversations about last-minute hijinks.

So they're still going with the story that it wasn't a called pass play? I mean, it HAD to be called a pass play, even if that's not what Langsdorf called.

So I was thinking about all of this, was their wild thinking that, make it look like a pass play, Illinois will never expect you to run with 10 other guys acting like it is a pass. Odd thinking, risky thinking, Armstrong may have instinctively seen wide receivers in routes and a rush in his face, threw the ball.

Don't call a play that confuses your own team. If you don't want to pass, don't call a pass play with extra instructions not to pass, at least not without personally talking to your QB during a timeout. I mean, did he send in the play " 38 blah blah X blah Y blah, run it" which maybe got translated by whoever brought it in as "run 38 blah blah..." or "38 blah blah... run the play" or something else that just doesn't make it clear not to pass?

And while it would've absolutely put the game away to get a first down, taking the clock down to ~20 seconds was pretty much going to do it so who cares if they stop a basic run.

Had we not blown those earlier timeouts maybe the staff would have taken one. We weren't aligned correctly, had we taken a timeout, hopefully\probably we realize just run a simple dive with whoever is in the backfield. Run the clock down, and boom we win

I keep hearing that we still had time outs available. Is that not correct?

Had we not blown those earlier timeouts maybe the staff would have taken one. We weren't aligned correctly, had we taken a timeout, hopefully\probably we realize just run a simple dive with whoever is in the backfield. Run the clock down, and boom we win

I believe 1. I think we blew two very early and both were while we were on D

I believe we still had two timeouts left. I know for sure we had at least one

Is something unraveling when coaches throw their QB under the bus?

Because that's exactly what happened.

If they told him not to pass, and he threw it anyway, then what the f#*k do you want the coaches to say?
"It was a bad play call and we shouldn't have put our guys in that situation, it won't happen again."

This is so bad.

Riley is supposed to be the #1 guy to have Tommy's back no matter what, and he was the first guy to throw him under the bus to cover his own ass.

• Fire 2

I believe 1. I think we blew two very early and both were while we were on D

We had all three left. We apparently called two AFTER that third down play. I don't see any others according to Huskers.com stats.

All three timeouts left.

TbYL77U.png

• Fire 2

All three timeouts left.

TbYL77U.png

Oh my word, even better. Seriously if you say that the formation doesn't look right how do you not call a timeout on a big play like that?

So they're still going with the story that it wasn't a called pass play? I mean, it HAD to be called a pass play, even if that's not what Langsdorf called.

It has all the ingredients of a pass play, regardless of how much you tell your QB "don't throw the ball"

Pass Blocking - So no illegal man downfield. Tommy knows that on this play.

3 guys running routes - Devine runs the flat as if it's a pass. I get he's a freshman, but I have a feeling that if he had known it was a run play, he would've at least bumped the guy coming after Tommy.

Devine also was very prepared for the ball, looked back quite quickly.

Tommy said that he thought it was important to stay in FG range. That makes sense for a player out there just trying to do the best for his team.

I'm still shaking my head over this. If you don't want your player to accidentally throw the ball, don't put your lineman in pass blocking.

Anyway, I'm still getting over it, but I'm also ready to move on. It was a mistake that shouldn't have happened. I'm still a fan of Langsdorf because of how well this offense has come together. Play calls are somewhat questionable, but tbh, they always have been and always will be, no matter the OC.

I mean, it does make sense to an extent. If it's truly a designed bootleg keeper, you probably want your guys running routes (except for your I-Back) in order to draw the secondary down field so your QB can make a play in space with his legs.

But obviously, the point is that it was a bad play call. Hand the damn ball off to either Ozigbo or Janovich.