Is 5 games too early to judge the coaches?

Could someone please explain the thought process behind some of MR decisions. I mean why in the world don't you call a timeout before that 3rd and 7 play. Tell your offense to not stop the clock whatever happens. Don't throw the ball don't step out of bounds. Why wouldn't you do that? I don't get it. Is there a deeper thought to it that I don't see? And that wasn't the first problem with clock and game management. And the guy is coaching for 4 decades. How can this possibly be an issue? Screw ups happen but it seems like there is no strategy for these situations.

We hire a 62 year old coach and a staff with tons of experience because we do not not a first time head coach learning on the job. And yet we get decisions that are the equivalent of a first year high school coach.

Expectations:

1. Good non con season. Good competition.

2. Winning the games you have to win to play for a chance at the title.

3. Playing meaningful games in November. Having a chance to play for Big 10 title

4. Major bowl game against major competition. This helps in recruiting battles.

5. Recruit our in state studs, keeping them home, and getting some speed and quickness from Florida, Texas, or California.

If we can't keep our home grown talent here we have nothing. Those are the boys who have pride in the program. They instill that in the ones we recruit from all over the nation. Start playing elite teams in the non-con. We use to play Florida ST, UCLA, Penn St, USC, Arizona ST, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and more. Since leaving the Big 12, where did those games go? Lets get OU, KSU, Mizzou back on the ached for non-con foes. Playing elite teams in the non-con gives you recruiting lines to battle on, builds program confidence, and allows you to get better playing better teams. You might lose a couple of those, but those game will make you better going forward, and should provide some steam for winning the West div.

Could someone please explain the thought process behind some of MR decisions. I mean why in the world don't you call a timeout before that 3rd and 7 play. Tell your offense to not stop the clock whatever happens. Don't throw the ball don't step out of bounds. Why wouldn't you do that? I don't get it. Is there a deeper thought to it that I don't see? And that wasn't the first problem with clock and game management. And the guy is coaching for 4 decades. How can this possibly be an issue? Screw ups happen but it seems like there is no strategy for these situations.

We hire a 62 year old coach and a staff with tons of experience because we do not not a first time head coach learning on the job. And yet we get decisions that are the equivalent of a first year high school coach.

And we get almost the same mismanagement at crunch time that we got four weeks

Yeah, because football is impossible to coach unless the current staff recruited the players. Thats why Florida just lost Ole Miss. Oh wait...

Florida didn't have the sh**ty recruiting of the last staff either. I swear all they did was recruit one playmaker on each side of the ball and then hand out schollies to the Cotton family.

A class ranking that averaged in the 30s...we lost to inferior talent today

Five games is plenty of a sample to size when you also take in consideration of what tendencies followed from the previous stop. I was in the same boat as others here (lo country, Saunders, walks). For every USC and Asu and other big upsets Riley managed that numerous folks threw out on this board, there were just as many straight baffling loses to Portland state, eastern Washington,etc.

Riley is a nice great guy, but let's not fool ourselves when many an ardent Corvallis natives were none to heart broken to see him and some of his chums go.

• Fire 1

Yes it is overall, but not on things such as time management and play calling. Passing 31 times yesterday in that weather is unacceptable with the success that we were having running the ball once Newby was taken out. I know they want balance and they got it with 34 runs and 31 passes, but things such as weather and what is working should cause them to adjust their play calling. TA shouldn't have thrown it more than 20 times in that weather, and the majority of the 11 plays would have just taken away the mindless bombs that TA was throwing. IDK if that is coming from our OC, or if TA is just focusing on the deep ball and ignoring the shorter routes, but that needs to get fixed one way or the other.

I was wondering the same thing about the deep routes. Something tells me that Langs wasn't expecting Tommy to be chucking it down the field with the wind blowing like it was. I don't know what you can do about that as an OC. It's not like you can change your plays to all short routes. I'd like to know if there were open receivers on shorter routes. Illini seemed to have a lot of defenders close to LOS so I'm not sure running 75-80% of the time would have worked. It's fair to critique coaching decisions. I don't expect a coaching change for a few years. I do expect the players to execute the coaches decisions to the best of their ability. That is probably the only thing that will change in the next few years that will make this team better. When Illini completed the long pass to set up the win, was it defensive play calling or a safety letting a player beat him deep?

I was told 3 games was too early. And then 4 games was too early.

Is 5 too early? Or can we judge them now?

You can't judge for another 8 years. All of Bo's guys have to graduate and then every single player has to be recruited by Riley until every Freshman thru Senior is Riley's boy. Then, and only then can you judge. until then, you have to accept 2-10, 5-7, 5-6 type of seasons and you can't comment on coaching because some player on the roster, wasn't recruited by Riley, is on the roster. Until then, it's not really *his* program. You also have to forget what Stoops did in year 1.

:laughpound

(j/k)

This is where I am at...the moronic decisions that have been made should not be happening with this seasoned staff. I am feeling very frustrated with the hire at this point, but trying very hard to be patient. The product is not great right now and I am not sure what is going to happen.

Need at least 4-5 full seasons to get a good idea.

You have no clue how college football works. Nebraska doesn't have 4-5 years to waste for Riley to get a good idea and have him RETIRE. Then we gotta wait 4-5 more years for the next guy. Ha, I hope you are happy waiting 10 years to be relevant again with your philosophy.

This was a horrible hire from an age standpoint especially for a "Building" situation.

• Fire 2

Expectations:

1. Good non con season. Good competition.

2. Winning the games you have to win to play for a chance at the title.

3. Playing meaningful games in November. Having a chance to play for Big 10 title

4. Major bowl game against major competition. This helps in recruiting battles.

5. Recruit our in state studs, keeping them home, and getting some speed and quickness from Florida, Texas, or California.

If we can't keep our home grown talent here we have nothing. Those are the boys who have pride in the program. They instill that in the ones we recruit from all over the nation. Start playing elite teams in the non-con. We use to play Florida ST, UCLA, Penn St, USC, Arizona ST, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and more. Since leaving the Big 12, where did those games go? Lets get OU, KSU, Mizzou back on the ached for non-con foes. Playing elite teams in the non-con gives you recruiting lines to battle on, builds program confidence, and allows you to get better playing better teams. You might lose a couple of those, but those game will make you better going forward, and should provide some steam for winning the West div.

It's not as simple to schedule elite teams as it once was. Most teams this day don't schedule more than one traditional, power 5 team a year. That's not to say our schedule is always going to be weak - with Oregon, OU, Colorado. It's not as simple as saying "I want to schedule Alabama" and then boom it works. It's a lot of politicking between conferences and specific teams. There are a lot of areas to gripe about the current staff, but scheduling should not be one of those right now.