What did everybody expect in Mike Riley?

I was pissed when he was hired. Firing a coach costs money and disrupts recruiting. It is something you do not want to do.

Right there with you.

Apparently that was a small price to pay to make sure that Harvey was more comfortable going to work every day for the last 18 months of his much too long tenure.

Look, I don't post very often...But We need to give the guy a chance. You guys will crucify me for this, but give him some time. This isn't Burger King, you don't get it your way every time. Did you guys hit home runs every time you took a new job? Were you the "Man" every time you took on a new challenge? I am not defending Riley, just know that he deserves a chance to get things right. One year means nothing...And do you really think we could keep up with the teams in the SEC and Big 12 right now anyway? Be realistic. Think with the head not the heart. It's just as hard for you is it is for me watching this. Especially as I work in southeast. I am so sick of hearing "Roll Tide!" every time the stop light changes. We need unity, there is strength in numbers.

• Fire 1

i expect good decisions after all those years of coaching...........he gave the game to Illinois!

I agree with this. The major benefit to hiring a very experienced coach was supposed to be, I thought, that he would have all this little stuff figured out. He can't control Armstrong's decision to pass, but they could have put Armstrong in a play where he didn't have to make that decision.

I'm not all down on him as I realize there's a lot going on behind the scenes in his first year, but it's just very disappointing. And certainly it is for him and the team as well.

• Fire 1

Nick Saban had a terrible first year with Alabama, true. But Nick Saban wasn't 62 when he inherited the Alabama program.

Regardless of success or failure, I see Riley has about 5 years left, which would make his final season 67 years old...

Regardless of success or failure, after about 5 years we will have to rebuild, once again.

• Fire 1

I expected the same as what we still might get.

I expected him to come in and deal with whatever he receives in a program. I was not going to be surprised at much of anything that happens in this year. Then, from there I expect a well run program by an professional adult with a coaching staff that knows what they are doing. If that happens, recruiting will improve steadily and so will the play on the field.

Oh....yeah....and what MattyIce said.

• Fire 3

I thought we'd see a change in the level of organization of our team right away with a seasoned HC. I remember how different Brian Kelly's Irish looked in their first game under him. I remember how much better UCLA looked in Mora's first season versus our Huskers, under Bo, in the fifth (?) year of his tenure. Given the amount of penalties and my perception the kids look sluggish (mainly thinking on defense), it seems my hopes were ill-founded. On a positive note, our QB play has been much improved. I had thought our offense might stink for a full season, at least, given how these things usually go. The negative is this Pac-12 transplant's system may not play well in the B1G nor to Husker fans in general. I like that we got an experienced HC this time as opposed to the last hire but I think it's fair to say that a team gunning for a NC needs to be more physical than I'm guessing we may ever be under Riley. I fully recognize this judgment may be premature. If our kids are winning nine a season in a couple years and not getting blown out, well...we've upgraded in two ways. At Riley's age, I'm figuring we're not going to see an evolution a la TO during his tenure. I'm just hoping he can put us in better position ahead of retirement.