ESPN College Gameday

34 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think most of it is because people really liked it for a lot of years but it has changed, is not as good anymore and they miss what it once was.

It is still super good but it is so long now...sometimes there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

#DeepThoughts

49 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think most of it is because people really liked it for a lot of years but it has changed, is not as good anymore and they miss what it once was.

That's possible, too. I don't know to be honest. The Gameday I watched this year seemed similar in scope and application to the ones I watched 10 years ago. It's a bit more kitchy these days, I suppose, what with the celebrity guest picker and some of the more theatrical displays they put on. I also preferred Chris Fowler but Rece Davis does a fine job.

I think some of the loss of popularity with Nebraska fans probably has to do with our success and frequency on Gameday.

From 1994 until 2001 Nebraska was a featured team on Gameday 13 times, hosting it 5 times with a record of 9-4. We were actually 6-0 in our first 6 appearances on the show. In our last 4, we are 0-4 dating back to the 01 Rose Bowl. Our last appearance was in 2011 at Wisconsin.

So, coupled with nobody liking Desmond Howard and our football futility for about the last 17 years, it’s no wonder that Gameday popularity has waned with many Husker fans.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2019/01/102012/the-way-too-early-2019-cfp-playoff-bracket-predictions

Obviously an Ohio State biased publication but I found it interesting they seemingly predict Huskers to win the west here.

1. Ohio State (13-0) "A New Day"

Ryan Day follows in his mentors footsteps by going undefeated in his first full season as head coach. The buckeyes earn the No.1 Seed in the playoff in large part due to the brilliant play of Heisman Trophy Runner-Up Justin Fields and a return of the Silver Bullets. The Buckeyes also sport quite possibly the best resume, with wins over ranked Penn State, TTUN, Northwestern, and Nebraska (x2) (With MSU possibly returning to form). The team is primed for a return to the throne.

• 2 weeks later...

This gripe seems to come up a lot. I watch a ton of college football but never college gameday. I watch football all Saturday long,  I don't need a couple hours of guys talking about college football beforehand. 

As for the lack of gameday on campus perhaps we should lose less than four games in a year before we cry injustice. 

I know I should care about GameDay being on campus because it would benefit recruiting and help the local economy but I just can't bring myself to. 

• 3 months later...

1 hour ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Part of me would actually prefer not to have gameday in Lincoln for the Ohio State game.  I think we have a better shot of picking them off if they don't go into it taking us as seriously as they should.

Funny you say that...since 99% of posters will tell you that they NEVER watch ESPN, that they HATE gameday, that everyone on gameday is a joke and that no one cares about it anymore...

I hope they come here for any and every game that they can.

When they were at Starkville a few years ago...when it was Ole Miss vs MSU (1 v 2, I think) it looked amazing.  They only really do one super lame game a year...like NDSU or something like that...

The rest...you know it means something.

• Plus1 3

Hi first time poster, I don't think Gameday is ideal until we show we can show up for a big game. We've seriously choked and been blown out every big game for a long time.

FYI I was on Huskermax but left due to the insane amount of ads, and now they require you to disable adblock.

44 minutes ago, Salsa Red said:

Hi first time poster, I don't think Gameday is ideal until we show we can show up for a big game. We've seriously choked and been blown out every big game for a long time.

FYI I was on Huskermax but left due to the insane amount of ads, and now they require you to disable adblock.

Welcome!

We definitely have choked on the big stage for a very long time,  but those teams knew they had lost before those games started.   That is starting to change.   This team now believes they can compete with anyone and will relish the big moments when we finally get another one with something on the line.

10 hours ago, runningblind said:

Welcome!

We definitely have choked on the big stage for a very long time,  but those teams knew they had lost before those games started.   That is starting to change.   This team now believes they can compete with anyone and will relish the big moments when we finally get another one with something on the line.

For the most part I agree with you.  Frost and Co. are instilling the right attitude.  

However, this is a year where the non-conference games are crucial.  The team needs to come out, take care of business and build confidence going into the OSU game.  If the team comes out and is efficient, relatively free of stupid mistakes that costs the team, and operates like a good team in the early season, that will build confidence for the tougher games later.