Press Conference - October 5

Mavric

Call a timeout so the clock stops huh? That makes even less sense

If you call time out with one second left on the play clock, then Illinois gets an extra second.

If you DON'T call time out, and then run a bonehead play that stops the clock then Illinois gets an extra 40 seconds.

You guys are right, I'm not really sure exactly how I came to the conclusion that it would make that much of a difference with the clock stopped. But yeah, I agree that a timeout there really would have made sense to make sure everyone was on the same page.

Still the worst coaching decision and time management skills I have ever seen from a Nebraska team. Didn't get the play in until 8 seconds on play clock? Couldn't get our TE motioned over. Hey coaches, how bout we call a timeout. I know we had at least one left and you can't take them home.

Doesn't even matter if it was a designed run, cause it's still awful coaching.

Riley missed an opportunity to "man up"........sad for him.

From Tommy"(If) we make a field goal with 40-50 seconds on the clock,"

This doesnt make much sense because if he gets tackled we get to burn 40 seconds off the clock.

How about we stop talking about the 3rd down play. It didnt cost us the game. We had 4 quarters to score more then 13 points against a bad illinois team. We had 50 seconds to keep a team from going 70 yards. We all get it the third down call was bad. I wasnt going to be any happier with a win. A win is a win except when you win only off having more talent then the other team. Terrible play calling. Spent 4 games finding our #1 back and they chose newby. But newby wasnt even on the field on the 3rd down and cross didnt even see the field. We are using jano out of the pistol now. He led with 11 carries??? 11 carries????

• 1st and 10 at NEB 38

Andy Janovich run for 3 yds to the Neb 41

• 2nd and 7 at NEB 41

Devine Ozigbo run for 4 yds to the Neb 45

• 3rd and 3 at NEB 45

Andy Janovich run for 6 yds to the Illin 49 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at ILL 49

Devine Ozigbo run for 1 yd to the Illin 48

• Timeout ILLINOIS, clock 02:31

• 2nd and 9 at ILL 48

Andy Janovich run for 8 yds to the Illin 40

• 3rd and 1 at ILL 40

Andy Janovich run for 10 yds to the Illin 30 for a 1ST down

• Timeout ILLINOIS, clock 01:49

• 1st and 10 at ILL 30

Andy Janovich run for no gain to the Illin 30

• Timeout ILLINOIS, clock 01:46

• 2nd and 10 at ILL 30

Andy Janovich run for 3 yds to the Illin 27

• 3rd and 7 at ILL 27

Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Devine Ozigbo

• Timeout NEBRASKA, clock 00:55

• 4th and 7 at ILL 27
  • Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Andy Janovich

Regardless, it's 3rd and 7. I would have had all the players on the sideline before that play and called a timeout with 1 second on the play clock. That way they get it right. This is what we're running, do this, don't do this. Have to have everyone on same page. Kind of an important play.

Keep the clock running, goes to 15-20 seconds. Punt, Field Goal, whatever. But I like our chances better with only 15-20 seconds on game clock then 55.

Mike Riley. please note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This doesnt make much sense because if he gets tackled we get to burn 40 seconds off the clock.

How about we stop talking about the 3rd down play. It didnt cost us the game. We had 4 quarters to score more then 13 points against a bad illinois team. We had 50 seconds to keep a team from going 70 yards. We all get it the third down call was bad. I wasnt going to be any happier with a win. A win is a win except when you win only off having more talent then the other team. Terrible play calling. Spent 4 games finding our #1 back and they chose newby. But newby wasnt even on the field on the 3rd down and cross didnt even see the field. We are using jano out of the pistol now. He led with 11 carries??? 11 carries????

Haha. This. It pretty much sums these coaches up to a T.

I know this is not it but sometimes I feel like they read the paper and think "Well, this is what the fans want, so here we go, more FB, here is your FB, stop the running game with everyone playing the run, no problem, more walk ons, okay!"

Again, I know it is not the case, it just cracked me up.

I know this is not it but sometimes I feel like they read the paper and think "Well, this is what the fans want, so here we go, more FB, here is your FB, stop the running game with everyone playing the run, no problem, more walk ons, okay!"

Again, I know it is not the case, it just cracked me up.

I thought the same thing. Granted the FB Janovich had a good game against Southern Miss (on only 6 carries mind you) and it was cool to see and some fans got a kick out of that. 2 games before that however practically all of the carries went to Terrell Newby. (28 carries against Southern Alabama). Then just a few games later there's the FB leading the team in carries against Illinois!!! It's completely ridiculous when you sit back and look at it. Throw Ozigbo in there and things really get confusing. It's as if there is no rhyme or reason when it comes to Riley and co's run game.

Except for Wilbon of course who has been MIA for almost a month now... At least they're consistent there.

Louis-CK-Scratches-His-Head.gif

Right on point with what I was just going to say. Was the end of the game a mess? Yes, yes it was, but so was the other 3 3/4 quarters of football. The fact that we were throwing it around that much in those conditions is just......................WOW!