"We deserve...."

gbr93

I'm just thinking out loud here. One of the most beautiful things about sports and the culture it provides, is the parity. That's what brings up the excitement levels, people latch on to it and it hooks them.

It is also one of the most frustrating and down right disgusting things about sports as well. No matter how much more talent you have, how much time and effort you put in, you have devised the best scheme possible, and you've came up with the greatest game plan, there is still the chance that you may lose. It may all be for not.

You don't deserve sh*t in athletics. Not us, not Bama, not Texas, not Oklahoma, not the Miami Heat, not anyone other team, player, coach, GM, marketing agent, communications officer or anyone else. In my eyes, and I may be wrong here so let me know if so, is that the biggest problem with this fan base is that we believe we deserve better.

Why? Why do we deserve any more than anyone else? Because we have won a lot of games in the past? Because we have some generous donators amongst us? Because we've sat in section 16, row 34 seat 1 since 1960 and never missed a game?

Those things are all great! It's apart of one of the best traditions in sports. It all combines into making a program that I love to cheer for, as with the rest of you. But don't for a second think it means we deserve anything more than anyone else. Just makes us sound like the little whiny kid at the store that his parents didn't buy him the shiny toy.

I'm not saying any of this to excuse any actions of any coaches, players, AD's, chancellors or anyone else. But just know, that in the industry of sports, no one deserves anything.

So the investment by the fans and donors, which supports the program, don't deserve to have a decent product for a return on their investment? Why do we deserve more than other teams? Because we put the time and money into it more than the other teams. That's why.

Yeah, so does everyone else. Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, and many, many more have just as much, if not more, fan support. If you see this team as being an investment, a business operation, then you're in it for the wrong reasons. You'll never be satisfied with your "investment". What time do you put into it? going down to the stadium 8 times during the fall on the weekends to drink beers with your buddies then go sit in the stadium for four hours to bitch and moan every time we throw an incompletion?

Everyone else does not do it. The vast majority of teams do not have the fan base, donors, rsources etc. that Nebraska has. Also, investment has a lot more to do with than just money and business.

Okay if we don't deserve it at least the players do. That's honestly who I felt most sick for is the players after the Illinois game. The play calling by the coaches put them in terrible situations. Throwing it 30+ times when the pass is clearly not working on a windy day like that? C'mon man. Then to make a simple play as difficult as possible. Good coaches don't do that. Riley wasn't brought in to rebuild this team. This isn't a rebuilding project here. This is supposed to be an experienced coach with a staff that has been through enough ups and downs to know what to know how to handle situational football. What transpired on Saturday was once of the worst coached games I have ever witnessed, and honestly we deserve better than that.

I understand your sentiment. And there is a little part of me that wants to say the players deserve better. Look, I'm not trying to defend Riley with my post. I'm just trying to make a general statement. No one deserves anything in sports. Point. Blank. Period.

If that is your attitude then why even mess with signing any new coaches? Let's just lose and in the process of losing just accept it by saying 'hey guys we don't deserve anything.' I hate to break it to you but Nebraska and it's fans especially after Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini and now Mike Riley most definitely deserve better. Sorry.

I said nothing about accepting losing in any of my posts. I'm actually a terrible loser and I'm just as upset as anyone else on this board with how this season has panned out so far. All I'm saying is that all of those things that define us as a program (ei. fan support, facilities, tradition, etc.) don't make us deserve any more than anyone else does. That's just the nature of sports. That's life. You don't always get what you want (that isn't me saying I'm content with the current standing of this program).

Exactly. So if that is what you're going to preach you must also accept that when a popular sports team that has a long history of winning starts losing most fan bases respond in a similar fashion. Of course no one deserves anything. That's kind of obvious isn't it? I am beyond grateful for our past. So many positive and cool things and story lines not to mention the great/historic games. All of the great players and coaches and all of the highs and lows that made us exciting to watch. We've seriously been blessed as college football fans. At the same time it isn't a crime for fans to not just sit back and accept that they are now not even remotely close to the level they once were because they see blatant reasons right in front of their faces that they (the players and the fans) do in fact deserve better. That's what sports fans do. Generally we sometimes complain and maybe even call for change when are favorite teams are losing depending on the circumstances.

Okay if we don't deserve it at least the players do. That's honestly who I felt most sick for is the players after the Illinois game. The play calling by the coaches put them in terrible situations. Throwing it 30+ times when the pass is clearly not working on a windy day like that? C'mon man. Then to make a simple play as difficult as possible. Good coaches don't do that. Riley wasn't brought in to rebuild this team. This isn't a rebuilding project here. This is supposed to be an experienced coach with a staff that has been through enough ups and downs to know what to know how to handle situational football. What transpired on Saturday was once of the worst coached games I have ever witnessed, and honestly we deserve better than that.

I understand your sentiment. And there is a little part of me that wants to say the players deserve better. Look, I'm not trying to defend Riley with my post. I'm just trying to make a general statement. No one deserves anything in sports. Point. Blank. Period.

If that is your attitude then why even mess with signing any new coaches? Let's just lose and in the process of losing just accept it by saying 'hey guys we don't deserve anything.' I hate to break it to you but Nebraska and it's fans especially after Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini and now Mike Riley most definitely deserve better. Sorry.

I said nothing about accepting losing in any of my posts. I'm actually a terrible loser and I'm just as upset as anyone else on this board with how this season has panned out so far. All I'm saying is that all of those things that define us as a program (ei. fan support, facilities, tradition, etc.) don't make us deserve any more than anyone else does. That's just the nature of sports. That's life. You don't always get what you want (that isn't me saying I'm content with the current standing of this program).

Exactly. So if that is what you're going to preach you must also accept that when a popular sports team that has a long history of winning starts losing most fan bases respond in a similar fashion. Of course no one deserves anything. That's kind of obvious isn't it? I am beyond grateful for our past. So many positive and cool things and story lines not to mention the great/historic games. All of the great players and coaches and all of the highs and lows that made us exciting to watch. We've seriously been blessed as college football fans. At the same time it isn't a crime for fans to not just sit back and accept that they are now not even remotely close to the level they once were because they see blatant reasons right in front of their faces that they (the players and the fans) do in fact deserve better. That's what sports fans do. Generally we sometimes complain and maybe even call for change when are favorite teams are losing depending on the circumstances.

I agree with you on most accounts. I'm not saying we have to sit back and accept it, far from that actually. But, don't think for a second that just because we have all those things that we should automatically be handed the keys to a new ferrari (like a Saban or Tressel in some eyes).

I'm just thinking out loud here. One of the most beautiful things about sports and the culture it provides, is the parity. That's what brings up the excitement levels, people latch on to it and it hooks them.

It is also one of the most frustrating and down right disgusting things about sports as well. No matter how much more talent you have, how much time and effort you put in, you have devised the best scheme possible, and you've came up with the greatest game plan, there is still the chance that you may lose. It may all be for not.

You don't deserve sh*t in athletics. Not us, not Bama, not Texas, not Oklahoma, not the Miami Heat, not anyone other team, player, coach, GM, marketing agent, communications officer or anyone else. In my eyes, and I may be wrong here so let me know if so, is that the biggest problem with this fan base is that we believe we deserve better.

Why? Why do we deserve any more than anyone else? Because we have won a lot of games in the past? Because we have some generous donators amongst us? Because we've sat in section 16, row 34 seat 1 since 1960 and never missed a game?

Those things are all great! It's apart of one of the best traditions in sports. It all combines into making a program that I love to cheer for, as with the rest of you. But don't for a second think it means we deserve anything more than anyone else. Just makes us sound like the little whiny kid at the store that his parents didn't buy him the shiny toy.

I'm not saying any of this to excuse any actions of any coaches, players, AD's, chancellors or anyone else. But just know, that in the industry of sports, no one deserves anything.

So the investment by the fans and donors, which supports the program, don't deserve to have a decent product for a return on their investment? Why do we deserve more than other teams? Because we put the time and money into it more than the other teams. That's why.

Yeah, so does everyone else. Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, and many, many more have just as much, if not more, fan support. If you see this team as being an investment, a business operation, then you're in it for the wrong reasons. You'll never be satisfied with your "investment". What time do you put into it? going down to the stadium 8 times during the fall on the weekends to drink beers with your buddies then go sit in the stadium for four hours to bitch and moan every time we throw an incompletion?

Everyone else does not do it. The vast majority of teams do not have the fan base, donors, rsources etc. that Nebraska has. Also, investment has a lot more to do with than just money and business.

I'm not going to check the numbers, you can feel free if you want, but I don't think we're the pinnacle in college athletics in terms of fan base size, the amount donors have given, or overall resources that are provided. We are within the upper echelon, but there are many more that have just as much to offer, or are at least comparable.

So then what does your investment consist of outside of money?

As a teacher and coach, I don't use the word deserve. Every time you feel like using it, replace it with earned.

That will tell you if you are speaking the truth.

I like this. When you get to where you want to be you can look back and say you earned the position you are in. You put forth the effort and paid your dues. But, until that time comes you shouldn't be saying you deserve certain things a long the way. Again, I'm not saying that we haven't put the time in, and it's obvious that we have earned the success we've had in the past. Just saying we cant always rely on things that we think we "deserve"

I'm not going to check the numbers, you can feel free if you want, but I don't think we're the pinnacle in college athletics in terms of fan base size, the amount donors have given, or overall resources that are provided. We are within the upper echelon, but there are many more that have just as much to offer, or are at least comparable.

So then what does your investment consist of outside of money?

I'm not going to check the numbers either. What's the point if we both agree that Nebraska is in the upper echelon. Which also means that there are some, but not many more that have just as much to offer. Don't get twisted about the "investment" part. All I am saying is that the fans invest more time, energy, money and emotions into this program that put it in the upper echelon. And with that, they deserve to have a decent product put on the field. So far the product this year does not cut it. I hope it changes here in the future, starting with a thumping of Wisconsin.

Agree. It gets back to basic football. When something dose not work you don't continue to do the same thing over and over. Game management,penalties,pass D. We don't expect more than anyone else in the country just follow basic football practices.

I find it funny that playing undisciplined football is something new for NU. They have been heavily penalized for years under Bo, so people think that the same players are all of a sudden going to play disciplined football in nine months? It takes a little more to change a mindset, and that may not come until we get different players. These guys are who they are for better or worse. The offensive play calling sucked, there is no defending that at all and anyone who does is just being an apologist IMO.

As far as worse coached games, I will take any game that Bo refused to change his defense to stop the jet sweep that lead to 70 points over what happened on Saturday. I mean he did have 7 of the 10 worst defensive performances in school history. We haven't seen that (yet) from these guys, so that has to be progress...right? lol.

• Fire 1

I find it funny that playing undisciplined football is something new for NU. They have been heavily penalized for years under Bo, so people think that the same players are all of a sudden going to play disciplined football in nine months? It takes a little more to change a mindset, and that may not come until we get different players. These guys are who they are for better or worse. The offensive play calling sucked, there is no defending that at all and anyone who does is just being an apologist IMO.

As far as worse coached games, I will take any game that Bo refused to change his defense to stop the jet sweep that lead to 70 points over what happened on Saturday. I mean he did have 7 of the 10 worst defensive performances in school history. We haven't seen that (yet) from these guys, so that has to be progress...right? lol.

The statistics disagree with you on the penalties. Nebraska has ranked middle of the pack in penalties the last few years. Oregon St. on the other hand has consistently been a heavily penalized team, which leads me to believe this is something this staff can't fix.

• Fire 1

The statistics disagree with you on the penalties. Nebraska has ranked middle of the pack in penalties the last few years. Oregon St. on the other hand has consistently been a heavily penalized team, which leads me to believe this is something this staff can't fix.

We shouldn't let those pesky facts get in the way of the narrative.