Keyshawn's take<< a must read for all on this board

Sorry if this was posted, on mobile, didn't look too thoroughly.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/recruiting-keyshawn-says-husker-fans-should-show-patience-with-riley/article_ad205426-6dfe-11e5-9023-03405f8a5ff3.html?mode=jqm

“Kids start questioning" things when they hear that, Johnson said. A seed of doubt gets planted. And the stronger the scrutiny, the more likely it is for other college coaches to pile on — the "blood-suckers," Johnson called them — and thus begins a negative recruiting campaign against NU.

***EDIT - added to the title - ETR

• Fire 3

I'm not even sure it's a case of whether anyone believes the extremists, but who wants to be around all that negativity?

Johnson's point is that recruits, his son included, are often aware of the most extreme fan reactions — even if they're limited to message boards or social media accounts.

Talk of firing a coach after five games?

“Kids start questioning" things when they hear that, Johnson said. A seed of doubt gets planted. And the stronger the scrutiny, the more likely it is for other college coaches to pile on — the "blood-suckers," Johnson called them — and thus begins a negative recruiting campaign against NU.

You want to get behind in recruiting the next four or five years? Keep it up," Johnson said. At this early point, support is what's needed most, according to Johnson.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/recruiting-keyshawn-says-husker-fans-should-show-patience-with-riley/article_ad205426-6dfe-11e5-9023-03405f8a5ff3.html

• Fire 1

It's not like these are 4 and 5* recruits Riley is going after. We lose a 2* recruit to Idaho Vandals? I think we will be fine, and probably go after a 2* kid that is also considering Central Michigan.

Why do you even post on a Husker message board? Why post lies on here? Are you even a fan of the Huskers? And what d-bag would upvote that garbage?

Keyshawn's son is a 4*. Several of his teammates who have visited here, or are considering the Huskers- the very players Keyshawn would know about and be referring to- are 4*s.

• Fire 6

If you want to avoid the well earned scrutiny, win. Shut them up

Do you at least admit that the constant negativity and criticism has the potential to harm the program? And NO potential to help at this point?

There is scrutiny all over college football. I don't think that lowering our expectations will do the program any favors, unless, as Jason Peter says, they want to play for Illinois.

• Fire 1

This is a double-edged sword. I do agree with much of what Keyshawn stated, and understand that many recruits read our message boards and would be turned off by all the negativity. But this is why it was so important for Riley and staff to win some of these early games. They had tons of momentum going on the recruiting front, and it's gone completely quiet. Recruits know that, at a school like Nebraska, the pressure from fans can be so overwhelming that it will lead to pressure on the administration to look at another coaching change. These 2016 recruits (like Keyshawn's gang) like Nebraska but especially Riley and his staff, and if they feel the staff may be gone soon, they will drop us from their list. These are kids that are highly rated that want to take NU to the next level and feel they can. But, as one person said, we just need to win games and this will take care of itself.

Do you at least admit that the constant negativity and criticism has the potential to harm the program? And NO potential to help at this point?

There is scrutiny all over college football. I don't think that lowering our expectations will do the program any favors, unless, as Jason Peter says, they want to play for Illinois.

Staying supportive is not equivalent to lowering expectations.

• Fire 1

Haha it's part of being a fan, we're allowed to be negative because we care deeply about the team and get upset when we see the team struggling. Now if our administration fired a coach every season they didn't win a national championship then that would have potential to harm the program. What is going on at Rutgers and Maryland has potential to harm a program. Fans that speak negatively? That happens everywhere across the country. Alabama fans call for Saban's head whenever Bama loses, and he's won three national championships over there.

Good article. While disappointed, as every fan is, support is needed. I hope HCMR can turn this program around, but fixing the recruiting gaps Bo left won't happen in one year. I agree with the article that it is far too soon to be calling for his job. We had more talent last year, plus we are adding a different system and scheme. Do I think the coaches coached poorly against Illinois? Yes, I do. Passed way too much, but, we shouldnt be kicking "our" team when they are down. With some of the poster's negativity on this site, it doesn't seem like you fully support the team.

• Fire 4

1. Yes, but the source of the negativity is what's on the field. If he wins, it will go away.

2. No, it has an enormous potential to help. If you replace a 6-6 coach with a big name coach who is expected to play for titles, then you are moving in the right direction. Indeed, the earlier that new coach is hired, the more likely he will land some top recruits.