Keyshawn's take<< a must read for all on this board

Clarify one thing: Expectations can be high and should be, but reality is, only 4 teams now get a shot and only one team will win it.

This isn't the 80's and 90's when college football was ruled by OU, Neb, Miami and on occasion Florida St. Those were the teams that usually played for titles. Big 8 was almost guaranteed a spot in the title game. OU or Neb was that.

The game has changed, the landscape has changed. At some point the fanbase has to change some to and realize that the good ol days are well in the past. This program never recovered from a legend retiring. The program was T.O.. Nebraska football was Tom Osborne.

I totally understand where Keyshawn is coming from about how the crap spewed across these boards can have a negative impact on recruiting. What others fail to see though is that losing has an even greater impact on recruiting. I think recruiting would be at an all-time low If things continue on this trajectory for a couple of years. Regardless, any little bit we can do to help out the program, I am all for it. So I hear you Keyshawn, tone it down. Got it.

Literally, nobody fails to see that. Nobody. Not a single person. The difference is there's nothing we here can do about the losses. But we can stop being super negative, and we can stop bringing up the obvious problems in every single thread and post as if nobody is aware of them.

wouldn't that be trolling?

One would think so.

It's tough to tell when people know something, since many seem to gloss over the obvious.

I remember when trolling meant that someone was posting something simply to get a negative reaction.

Apparently now trolling means that if I disagree with the truth and honesty that someone else posts and i have no way to refute it with facts, I'll grab the lowest hanging fruit and and throw it at said poster in an attempt to discredit their factual post.

It's intellectually dishonest.

• Fire 1

Certainly negative comments won't help recruiting in my opinion but realistically it won't really hurt it much either. If the Johnson boy and or others which seem to be 'packaged' with him are seriously interested in Nebraska, then they should come and visit and see for themselves. They should then commit and become Huskers or NOT and it is as simple as that. What a few fans say or don't say on a message board is meaningless to the team, the coaches, the players, the recruits, etc.

There's a second story up at the OWH about Johnson's relationship with Riley here.

LINCOLN — Keyshawn Johnson didn’t hesitate when asked, nor did he amble through his response. There’s one clear reason why he’s introduced his son and several other highly regarded prospects to Nebraska.

That reason is Mike Riley. “The only reason,” Johnson said. “Otherwise, I probably would have never seen Nebraska in my life.”

Clarify one thing: Expectations can be high and should be, but reality is, only 4 teams now get a shot and only one team will win it.

This isn't the 80's and 90's when college football was ruled by OU, Neb, Miami and on occasion Florida St. Those were the teams that usually played for titles. Big 8 was almost guaranteed a spot in the title game. OU or Neb was that.

The game has changed, the landscape has changed. At some point the fanbase has to change some to and realize that the good ol days are well in the past. This program never recovered from a legend retiring. The program was T.O.. Nebraska football was Tom Osborne.

Oh we've realized all right.

There's a second story up at the OWH about Johnson's relationship with Riley here.

LINCOLN Keyshawn Johnson didnt hesitate when asked, nor did he amble through his response. Theres one clear reason why hes introduced his son and several other highly regarded prospects to Nebraska.

That reason is Mike Riley. The only reason, Johnson said. Otherwise, I probably would have never seen Nebraska in my life.

But, ....but, .... #39 class..... Riley getting owned... Only 2 star guys... Only 4 spots left....but...

LINCOLN Keyshawn Johnson didnt hesitate when asked, nor did he amble through his response. Theres one clear reason why hes introduced his son and several other highly regarded prospects to Nebraska.

That reason is Mike Riley. The only reason, Johnson said. Otherwise, I probably would have never seen Nebraska in my life.

But, ....but, .... #39 class..... Riley getting owned... Only 2 star guys... Only 4 spots left....but...
I must have missed where these guys enrolled at NU.

It's nice that they are considering us, but unless they make it here, it doesn't really mean much.

• Fire 1

I must have missed where these guys enrolled at NU.

It's nice that they are considering us, but unless they make it here, it doesn't really mean much.

I agree. Let me see them commit and sign in February 2017 and then I will believe.

The first two losses you can maybe make a case for - first game and lost on a hail mary, first away game. Maybe you can have more patience with those. The Illinois game was just a disaster and the coaches deserve all the heat they are getting for it. You can't expect a reasonable person to be ok with that one. The awful playcalling on offense, clock management, the blown coverage at the end. All pretty basic things that were blatantly bad. Come on.

• Fire 3

If you want to avoid the well earned scrutiny, win. Shut them up

Do you at least admit that the constant negativity and criticism has the potential to harm the program? And NO potential to help at this point?

Of course there is potential for harm. The constant negativity and criticism last year led directly to us being stuck with Riley. But there is potential to help, if the negativity and criticism gets Riley and Pederhorst fired.

• Fire 2

It's pretty telling when a guy who worked this close with someone wants to send his players to the next level with that guy and admits he would never had considered the palce if not for that guy. May not mean much to some, I think it backs what most have said all along. The guy needs time to put it together.

I'll admit, I have gotten increasingly impatient with losing these games we shouldn't. I hate being negative guy or overly critical guy. It comes from frustration, it comes from being disappointed time and time again. If being optimistic is what it takes to get these players here who can help us turn it around, I'm in.

I just want to see some return on my optimism, lets see some of that return tomorrow. Beat Wisconsin, I'm on board.

I have a hard time believing that recruit would be swayed by the negativity of a bulletin board. You know why recruits are even looking at the boards? To see what the fans are thinking (pretty sure they could give two flying f's what a bunch of posters say on a board). A kid, who is a legitimate talent, is smart enough to see NU getting toasted for over 400yrds per game in passing. See us dead last in pass defense. See us leading the nation in penalties. See a coach whose poor clock management has hurt/"cost" us two games....

So yea, If me saying Riley was and appears to be a bad hire, (an opinion) is costing us "talent", not the articulable facts listed above, I'll take the blame.........These kids are light years ahead in surfing technology to get answers. I'm sure some wold even know of a firing before the fan base. If Riley was fired, that's the only thing I see that would cost us recruits.

These highly touted kids should be looking at the "talent deficit" and realize that as a true fresh they can come in and start. Riley actually playing numerous true fresh will help recruiting as much as the novel act of winning.......

^What is occurring on the field is far more important than anonymous negative posters on a forum.