Time to bench Tommy and start one of the underclassmen against Minnesota

Here is the issue. We currently have a car that needs servicing. We take it to a boat mechanic because they both can fix " engines". Although both are similar, they are different enough that one can not get the most out of or repair it properly. Oh, it will "work", but it's half a$$ed and still not correct.

The Huskers are a car engine and Riley is a boat mechanic. Both might be the best, but together, neither one will work right.

NU either needs to get a car mechanic, or wait patiently for 3-5 more years as we get more boats....

Either way, I wouldn't expect any earth shattering improvements the next few years. We might get a winning record, but history shows .536....

No, no. Excuse me but we need a janitor to clean house.

Tommy is the least of our problems and I'm surprisingly pleased with him. He is with out question the leader of this team. He is constantly holding his teammates accountable. This offense would be 2009 bad with out him.

His footwork could use a little work, but people harp on that too much. His arm means his footwork doesn't need to be so polish (see Farve and Aaron Rodgers as good examples). He just needs to be smarter about his throws and not force those long balls.

Sit Tommy and you get your pick of Fyfe, Darlington (One concussion away from ending his career), and AJ Bush. Please..enlighten us all who will lead us to the promise land.

Whichever one can complete a five yard pass? I don't understand the unwavering support Armstrong receives from some, nor the plaudits thrown his way by members of the media. He has a tremendous set of physical tools for the position, but he lacks some of the most basic fundamentals necessary for consistency. He never steps into throws and he never steps up into the pocket. I've seen no evidence that he has the instincts to run the read option nor to move through his progressions. Given his experience, it's difficult to expect any of this will change. I really don't want to be too critical of a student athlete, but I have difficulty believing that our other options could be significantly less productive than Armstrong, who is really struggling.

I get that some are really frustrated, and for those of us old enough to have lived through the glory years, this is particularly difficult to swallow, but I also see a team that has really improved over the course of the season in a number of areas. We still continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with penalites, and our QB and cornerbacks are really struggling right now. Otherwise, I see a team that is playing much better than they did at the beginning of the year.

• Fire 2

Tommy is the least of our problems and I'm surprisingly pleased with him. He is with out question the leader of this team. He is constantly holding his teammates accountable. This offense would be 2009 bad with out him.

His footwork could use a little work, but people harp on that too much. His arm means his footwork doesn't need to be so polish (see Farve and Aaron Rodgers as good examples). He just needs to be smarter about his throws and not force those long balls.

Just to argue, his footwork is a major issue. That's pretty much exclusively why he's a 50% (and lately worse) passer, missing many receivers that could have extended drives or gotten points. That has to priority numbero uno for him if he ever wants to be better than average-sometimes good.

Benching Tommy would be the worst thing these coaches could do...Tommy can be a good quarterback if you control what he does. We should run. Then, you play action off that or run rollout passes. Occasionally, you go for a bomb. It's really that simple, and it's been said by many people. Also, I think installing the WCO is a bad idea. In arguendo, if one is going to install that type of offense, one should wait until you have a pure passer like O'Brien. With that said, I do think the coaches deserve atleast two to three years to show their worth. Calling for their heads after the first season is crazy and impractical.

Benching Tommy would be the worst thing these coaches could do...Tommy can be a good quarterback if you control what he does. We should run. Then, you play action off that or run rollout passes. Occasionally, you go for a bomb. It's really that simple, and it's been said by many people. Also, I think installing the WCO is a bad idea. In arguendo, if one is going to install that type of offense, one should wait until you have a pure passer like O'Brien. With that said, I do think the coaches deserve atleast two to three years to show their worth. Calling for their heads after the first season is crazy and impractical.

This is a sensable statement!! Unlike the sh#t I post!!

Tommy's footwork on throws looked worse than Tebow.

and Tebow won championships.

This is why ppl will never take you serious. You cant puck something of a player to knock by comparing it to one of the most successful college qbs in history.

Its like sayin "mike riley will never win at nebraska cuz hes too nice, just like Osborne was"

Givee a break.

I thought Langsdorf would be a difference-maker with Tommy but he hasn't been so far. Kid hasn't really developed, he's a smidge better but that is expected with experience. That said, we don't use Tommy's wheels near enough. Tommy didn't make ultra-conservative playcalls with the knowledge that Wiscy would just call a timeout after we run up the middle. Tommy didn't fail twice in the waning minutes of the game to keep Wiscy out of fieldgoal range. He's still our best chance of winning games. Nobody left on our sched is playing that good of ball that we can't beat them if we clean things up. We can still salvage bowl eligibility, it's not likely but certainly possible.

Two coaching staffs, same issues with Tommy........hmmmm, might be a Tommy problem, rather than coaching!

How would anyone know whats behind Tommy when we don't see anyone else. Same as Pelini, wouldn't ever replace starting QB no matter how bad they were playing.

When a thrower, throws bullets all game long, uncatchable balls, and completely off target throws, you try something else, even just for a quarter.

He has worse mechanics than Martinez, Tebow, ever thought of.

Setting up your receivers for success, instead of constant overthrows, fastballs that are uncatchable, success is a team thing.

No.

This.

But I do think some immediate competition for Tommy's job next year is warranted. Whether that comes in the form of a graduate transfer, or JUCO QB, I don't know. But I think Tommy definitely should have his job up for grabs next year with someone who can give us more chances to win games next season.

• Fire 1

This offense would be 2009 bad with out him.

We're actually not far off that pace, surprising since we're barely into the conference season. We'd have to score a little over 20 points a game from here on to equal 2009. Our yardage numbers are better this year, but largely due to better rushing numbers. Yards per pass attempt are nearly the same, completion pct is worse this year. 3rd down percentage is equal. And that was with a better offensive start to the season in 2009 than this one (that schedule had more true weenies to start before ultimately ramping up).

With the way this offense has started the conference season it is not out of the realm of possibility at all to see it be similar. I honestly don't see that happening, mostly due to a weak schedule. But the offensive production or lack thereof the past few weeks does make one wonder.