The consequences of the Wisconsin loss

ndobney

I wanted to discuss with all of you how this loss has differed from all other losses previous and during the Riley Era. This loss was different from the other losses this year. The Illinois loss started a division between the fan base as the fans began to turn on Riley because of the manner of the loss. we had a 99.5 % chance to win and we lost.

I saw the last drive this week and I thought to me myself OMG lasts weeks game is gonna impact and loose this game for us. What do I mean by this. So much was made about the way we lost last week by not killing the clock that it was obviously on the front of the coaches minds which is why they blew this game with the game calling this week. The difference between the last two games is last game we needed to kill the clock for the win vs illimois, and this game we needed a first down to win the game vs Wis. You have got to realize the difference in the situations that you are in, especially with your exp, it was unexcusable.

The consequences are massive in this situation. Riley himself pointed to the need to earn the belief that his system works, and pointed to this game. Well I personally belief in his system but not him. The husker nation still needs proof, but the problem is now much bigger. The game was much bugger than we realized. Wisconsin the team that we all know got Bo fired.This was the chance to turn the page on Bo. A statement game. Possible the only statement game he will get instead. I 4th loose in a similar fashion in the last 6 attempts. Oh no friends do not kid yourselfs this was no ordinary loss. We hired Riley in part to heal the relationship between the school and fan base. This game however because of its nature severed the trust between the fans and the coaching staff. The fan base will never again trust this staff in important games that this staff is even remotely capable of game management. Even if we were able to get the best recruiting classes in FB each year the poor game management would rear its head enough to keep us from winning anything of importance. I will admit that this trust isn't permanent you can always win a national championship. (Ok semi permanent lets get real here) This is why we have heard calls to fire Riley, or Riley is over his head yada yada.

I really believe firing Riley after one year is literally the worst thing we could possible do, even 2nd or 3rd year is pretty bad. Cause of the 4 year recruiting cycle it just looks really bad, and it really makes the rest of the coaches 2nd guess weather they want the job. We have enough problems as it stands in that area. My solution is to hire someone specifically to handle game management. The relationship between fans and school is important and the reason Riley was hired. A this very very sensitive moment that relationship is in jeopardy. I hope the school listens and does the following, but at last I'm not the one in jeopardy of loosing everything. Well not everything it still has basketball. GBR

I dont even care anymore. That is what this staff has done for me. I was so miserable after last weeks game. After all these losses, after all these heart breaking games, ive become numb to it. I have been a die hard Nebraska fan my entire life, it's a HUGE part of my life. And I have realized after this weeks game vs Wisconsin as I sat on the couch and watched yet another game winning drive by the opponent and yet another last second loss, that I need to rethink my ideology of how I look at college football seasons.

I will always want Nebraska to win. GBR. But expectations need to be realized. 7-9 win seasons are great for Nebraska. We are no longer top echelon of the CFB world. Other programs have passed us by, and other historic programs have figured it out with a competent administration to stay at the top.

Until we mix things up at the top, Nebraska is looking at 7-9 win seasons as great accomplishments.

I don't understand, a state with such a devoted fan base, with such a historic football program, continues to fail to just go all in with their football team. I don't know where it went wrong, but I am sure it started with Pedey, but I don't feel NU really puts that much emphasis on the football program. It needs to just go all in on it. Understand Nebraska football is a huge deal to people, it is what makes this program so special. Makes this team so special.

But whatever, we are years from that happening.

Regardless, each week, GO BIG RED! I hope that hope of a win never stops burning each week.