Processing it all

This may be long, I apologize, but hear me out.

After giving it a night to process this loss, yet another game that we lost in the closing seconds, I've tried to figure out how to put into rational words what I'm feeling at this point.

My immediate reaction is to get extremely negative and bitter about the situation as I think that's a normal human reaction and my initial reaction was just that. Which is why I chose to step away from the board last night and give myself some time to process things to think more rationally. Another last second loss..............another moment where I allowed myself to expect us to pull this one out and my heart was ripped out of my chest again by this team. "I'm not watching another game all season, I'm sick of this crap!"

Sleep, let the emotions fade, rational thought..............sigh.

Do I think Mike Riley is the right man for the job? Probably not, but I'm not unrealistic and expecting him to resign mid-season, at the end of the season, or be fired after one season of mediocrity. I just don't think that's going to happen and it's not realistic to think otherwise, at least in my opinion. Why would he walk away from millions of dollars, because it's right? Would you walk away from millions of dollars? I know my answer to that question.............

Does this coaching staff have hurdles? Sure they do, the injuries are piling up, the players don't "fit" their system or idea of the system they want to run, there is an apparent battle that continues to go on with the previous coaching staff or at least the mental seeds they planted after years of verbal abuse and head games are still there, and learning a new conference and the ins and outs of that conference as well. There are probably other hurdles we know nothing about and I'm leaving out.

Those hurdles aren't me accepting the product being put out on the field, those are me recognizing those hurdles and understanding that those hurdles have to be tough to deal with. Doesn't mean I'm a Riley apologist, doesn't mean I'm happy with what I'm seeing, far from it, deep down inside I'm fuming.

Then I start to think about those hurdles and how those are affecting what I see on the field. The injuries are the most glaring problem, but do those injuries cause us to mismanage the clock in these games? No, they don't. Do they cause the offensive coordinator to call boneheaded plays that make no sense? No, they don't. Do they cause personnel mismanagement to occur? Possibly, but that doesn't explain the personnel mismanagement that's occurring in the backfield by the coaching staff. Do they cause penalty after penalty to occur? No, they don't. Do they cause our defensive line to not get their hands up during pass attempts? No, they don't. Do they cause our DB's to not turn around and simply look for the ball? No, they don't. Most if not all those things are coaching, period.

Riley is here for a few years folks, doesn't mean we have to like it, doesn't mean if people say "patience" that they like it and it doesn't mean any of us are happy with what we're seeing on the field. What I'm saying is stop jumping on folks and reading into everything and twisting it to fit your anger. Discuss things, get your outlet for that anger and rage out here, but try to do it rationally and in a constructive manner. NO Husker fan is happy with what they're seeing, some stress patience, some stress knee jerk reactions, some have no idea what they want to express, ALL have an opinion. Respect those and take them for what they're worth. We all share one thing, the love for the Huskers, try and remember that.

• Fire 6

First, never apologize for a long post, only badly written ones. (This one doesn't qualify).

Second, Mike Riley, nor any coach, doesn't get a set number of years. Almost every coach will eventually get fired, it's just a question of when and how much they get paid if they do. It's part of the job. While it's likely he's here a few years, there's nothing saying he isn't gone tomorrow, or 15 years from now. It's part of the job.

It's also part of the job as that guy's boss to decide to make a change. That's really tough to do sometimes. How do you know that the guy you hired will eventually pan out? How do you know he simply wasn't ever going to pan out? When do you hit the abort button, that's a tricky enough situation, but then add all the politics. It's messy.

As a guy who never knew who Mike Riley was I was never happy with the hire but then I took a step aside and said okay let's see how he hires his coordinators and his staff and he essentially brings 90% of everyone he had at Oregon State and this is where it started to chat my ass so now we're two and four we lost in Miami fine I take it we lost at BYU fine I'll take it but we lose to Wisconsin a team that hasn't had barely a pulse all season and we lose to a Illinoise team that has flatlined for a decade and we're supposed to be rational when that stuff happens I'm not saying bo should have stayed but I'm saying that smarter choices should have been made and I do not see this as the answer to the problem I think everybody on this board is a true Husker fan you would not be here if you werent but there should not be any rationalizing in the crazy house.

• Fire 1

I will be happy if this team makes one improvement per game. This week, I'd like to see the penalties get cleaned up

This year is an adjustment year and it was going to occur regardless of the coaching hire. If MR is fired, then next year is another adjustment year. Do want to have back to back adjustment years? I'm impressed with the talent that has been uncovered but I think it's difficult to expect MR to coach successfully in the B10 when he's never done it before. I think he'll adjust.

This may be long, I apoligize, but hear me out.

After giving it a night to process this loss, yet another game that we lost in the closing seconds, I've tried to figure out how to put into rational words what I'm feeling at this point.

My immediate reaction is to get extremely negative and bitter about the situation as I think that's a normal human reaction and my initial reaction was just that. Which is why I chose to step away from the board last night and give myself some time to process things to think more rationally. Another last second loss..............another moment where I allowed myself to expect us to pull this one out and my heart was ripped out of my chest again by this team. "I'm not watching another game all season, I'm sick of this crap!"

Sleep, let the emotions fade, rational thought..............sigh.

Do I think Mike Riley is the right man for the job? Probably not, but I'm not unrealistic and expecting him to resign mid-season, at the end of the season, or be fired after one season of mediocrity. I just don't think that's going to happen and it's not realistic to think otherwise, at least in my opinion. Why would he walk away from millions of dollars, because it's right? Would you walk away from millions of dollars? I know my answer to that question.............

Does this coaching staff have hurdles? Sure they do, the injuries are piling up, the players don't "fit" their system or idea of the system they want to run, there is an apparent battle that continues to go on with the previous coaching staff or at least the mental seeds they planted after years of verbal abuse and head games are still there, and learning a new conference and the ins and outs of that conference as well. There are probably other hurdles we know nothing about and I'm leaving out.

Those hurdles aren't me accepting the product being put out on the field, those are me recognizing those hurdles and understanding that those hurdles have to be tough to deal with. Doesn't mean I'm a Riley apologist, doesn't mean I'm happy with what I'm seeing, far from it, deep down inside I'm fuming.

Then I start to think about those hurdles and how those are affecting what I see on the field. The injuries are the most glaring problem, but do those injuries cause us to mismanage the clock in these games? No, they don't. Do they cause the offensive coordinator to call boneheaded plays that make no sense? No, they don't. Do they cause personnel mismanagement to occur? Possibly, but that doesn't explain the personnel mismanagement that's occurring in the backfield by the coaching staff. Do they cause penalty after penalty to occur? No, they don't. Do they cause our defensive line to not get their hands up during pass attempts? No, they don't. Do they cause our DB's to not turn around and simply look for the ball? No, they don't. Most if not all those things are coaching, period.

Riley is here for a few years folks, doesn't mean we have to like it, doesn't mean if people say "patience" that they like it and it doesn't mean any of us are happy with what we're seeing on the field. What I'm saying is stop jumping on folks and reading into everything and twisting it to fit your anger. Discuss things, get your outlet for that anger and rage out here, but try to do it rationally and in a constructive manner. NO Husker fan is happy with what they're seeing, some stress patience, some stress knee jerk reactions, some have no idea what they want to express, ALL have an opinion. Respect those and take them for what they're worth. We all share one thing, the love for the Huskers, try and remember that.

the real problem, as you pointed out, is that Riley is here for at least 2-3 more years.......better coaching and game management may not be forth coming, and that would be a bitch!

As a guy who never knew who Mike Riley was I was never happy with the hire but then I took a step aside and said okay let's see how he hires his coordinators and his staff and he essentially brings 90% of everyone he had at Oregon State and this is where it started to chat my ass so now we're two and four we lost in Miami fine I take it we lost at BYU fine I'll take it but we lose to Wisconsin a team that hasn't had barely a pulse all season and we lose to a Illinoise team that has flatlined for a decade and we're supposed to be rational when that stuff happens I'm not saying bo should have stayed but I'm saying that smarter choices should have been made and I do not see this as the answer to the problem I think everybody on this board is a true Husker fan you would not be here if you werent but there should not be any rationalizing in the crazy house.

Dude, punctuation...

• Fire 3

Dude, punctuation...

lol

Everyone needs to stop with the Michigan and Florida comparison. Check the recruiting numbers, Michigan and Florida if correct were in the Top 20 in recruiting in the last 3 years. Talent was there. Coaching wasn't apparently.

Nebraska does not have talent that Michigan and Florida have. Riley if given at least another year, will bring in better talent. Now I think we all know that Riley won't get canned yet, and more than likely will get another 2 years. I think we see progress. I think once some of these players move on and we recruit, this could change alot next year.

Riley might not be the man to win a title here, but I think he is the person to bring back some talent, correct the image, make this job appealing for a really good coach.

Penalties are a thing of reputation. Big 10 officials are maybe the worst Ive seen. Regardless of that, Bo's defiance and the teams lack of respect then and now are causing that issue. I don't think Neb is committing any more fouls than any other team, but they are being watched closer because of the reputation. Not fair, but something that needs cleaned up. Pass interference? How did this call become so judgmental. This call used to be so black and white. Either there was contact prior to pass or not. Now I here announcers saying stupid things about this. Like, Well, that was pass interference, but since it didn't have an outcome on the play, good no call, since both players were making contact, good no call. This is horrible.

Things will get better, but only if the whole team can respond as a team. Sometimes coaching can only do so much if the players won't listen and try to adjust.

Everyone needs to stop with the Michigan and Florida comparison. Check the recruiting numbers, Michigan and Florida if correct were in the Top 20 in recruiting in the last 3 years. Talent was there. Coaching wasn't apparently.

Nebraska does not have talent that Michigan and Florida have. Riley if given at least another year, will bring in better talent. Now I think we all know that Riley won't get canned yet, and more than likely will get another 2 years. I think we see progress. I think once some of these players move on and we recruit, this could change alot next year.

Riley might not be the man to win a title here, but I think he is the person to bring back some talent, correct the image, make this job appealing for a really good coach.

Penalties are a thing of reputation. Big 10 officials are maybe the worst Ive seen. Regardless of that, Bo's defiance and the teams lack of respect then and now are causing that issue. I don't think Neb is committing any more fouls than any other team, but they are being watched closer because of the reputation. Not fair, but something that needs cleaned up. Pass interference? How did this call become so judgmental. This call used to be so black and white. Either there was contact prior to pass or not. Now I here announcers saying stupid things about this. Like, Well, that was pass interference, but since it didn't have an outcome on the play, good no call, since both players were making contact, good no call. This is horrible.

Things will get better, but only if the whole team can respond as a team. Sometimes coaching can only do so much if the players won't listen and try to adjust.

so we took a half ass coach so we could lay the ground work to hire a really good coach in 2-3 years?...............wow.

• Fire 1

Holy sentence, Batman! :)

• Fire 1

This year is an adjustment year and it was going to occur regardless of the coaching hire. If MR is fired, then next year is another adjustment year. Do want to have back to back adjustment years?

McElwain and Harbaugh asked if you would repeat the question please.......

And their situation was not ours.

We line up who we want. For HC, lets face it is going to have to be someone with big balls who is a OC or DC now... We bring them in. As OC or DC next season.

We get rid of riley on X date we give him a written notice of termination post dated so on X date you are FIRED. It can be 1 or 2 years etc from now...

If he retires or resigns before then or finds new job we never go public with the firing document.

We have his DC or OC that we wanted step up and take the position.

The way red headed ginger handled the last firing and hiring was unprofessional and made us a laughing stock of football again.

The Unv is saved from yet another public firing, we have who we want. However the red headed devil is not smart enough to do this. This would require keeping your word and be able to plan something. This would mean that with our new OC or DC we still had to have the resolution to have MR 'retire' if he goes 10+ wins...

We just need to exorcise the unrealistic expectation demons which have so gripped Husker nation over 3 decades. We're no longer starting a season with a shot at a national title, much less a conference title. Our previous coach gave us an unrealistic feeling of national relevance at the expense of respectability with his sideline demeanor. It's time to take several steps back, take a few spoonfuls of humility, understand the situation, give this staff time to make this team their own. This truly is where the real fans show up. Time to support your team.

• Fire 2