Defensive Stats

neepster

So, it seems hard to understand, but defensively we actually regressed this week.

Last week we were 108/128 in total defense. Now we are 110/128.

Our pass defense remains worst in the NCAA at 128/128 and more than 150 yards higher than #127 Bowling Green... this is a level of bad that is frankly almost unbelievable. I don't think our players are that bad... I think the coaching and schemes are just really bad.

Our rush defense got slightly worse but it is clear that it is being helped by the fact that everyone is throwing on us a LOT.

On the plus side, Minnesota's offense #80 is much worse than Wisconsin #43, and Minnesota's passing offense is #94.

So, I think we may have a decent chance to win vs. Minnesota. Northwestern is an even WORSE passing team, so we might be able to pull off an upset there. However, Purdue is #52 in passing offense...

• Fire 1

Going off memory here, maybe someone can help out with data ... but I recall the defense showing up competitively for most of the game. It was (yet another) breakdown in the 4th quarter, where they reeled off some of their big plays.

For most of the game, Wisconsin couldn't run and didn't bother trying. Their top RB somehow ended up with 119 yards and a big YPC, but that must have come from a couple of big gainers later on. The defense was swarming and stuffing their RBs early on.

Going off memory here, maybe someone can help out with data ... but I recall the defense showing up competitively for most of the game. It was (yet another) breakdown in the 4th quarter, where they reeled off some of their big plays.

For most of the game, Wisconsin couldn't run and didn't bother trying. Their top RB somehow ended up with 119 yards and a big YPC, but that must have come from a couple of big gainers later on. The defense was swarming and stuffing their RBs early on.

I agree the defense seemed to play well for 90% of the game. Rush D seemed particularly stout. I think the counter-intuitive stats (119 yards for that RB) are largely due to the skewed TOP. Wisconsin seemed to have the ball on O most of the game. Add in a few big gainers and you get those numbers despite what was an otherwise fairly solid defensive effort for most of the game.

• Fire 1

Minnesota is going to come out trying to throw the ball. I mean freaking Wisconsin thew the ball 50 times. Hello? Mike Leach? Did you take the job at Wisconsin?

Minnesota's offense is horrible. I think we'll win this week. There is just no way that kind of god awful luck can go against MR again. I see NU winning by a couple scores.

Minnesota is going to come out trying to throw the ball. I mean freaking Wisconsin thew the ball 50 times. Hello? Mike Leach? Did you take the job at Wisconsin?

Minnesota's offense is horrible. I think we'll win this week. There is just no way that kind of god awful luck can go against MR again. I see NU winning by a couple scores.

What's the definition of insanity again?

Yes, I think our pass defense has been poor but it has not been as bad as the national rank of dead last by a 100 plus yards per game certainly.

One of the big problems for our defense has been our offense - the feast or famine effect one might call it. Our offense - no matter the 50/50 approximate ratio of passes to runs has very low time of possession. Drives are typically 3 and out or we move down the field quickly with 15 yard chunks. Even our TD drives which are only about 3 or 4 per game or so last less than 3 minutes. Often our possession may last barely 1 minute. We snap the ball with 10 or 12 seconds remaining on the play clock even after a run. We are running a sort of hurry up offense. Of course we have far too many incomplete passes and our completions tends to be for first downs. When we have the ball, between the lack of ordinary running plays within the boundaries, the incomplete passes, pass completions with receivers going out of bounds, etc, we stop the clock most of the time. As a result, we use very little game clock when we have the ball. This loads up on the defense. Our opponents are getting more possessions per game and more time to run plays against us. This gives them more yards per game statistically.

So, it seems hard to understand, but defensively we actually regressed this week.

Our pass defense remains worst in the NCAA at 128/128 and more than 150 yards higher than #127 Bowling Green... this is a level of bad that is frankly almost unbelievable. I don't think our players are that bad... I think the coaching and schemes are just really bad.

Our rush defense got slightly worse but it is clear that it is being helped by the fact that everyone is throwing on us a LOT.

On the plus side, Minnesota's offense #80 is much worse than Wisconsin #43, and Minnesota's passing offense is #94.

So, I think we may have a decent chance to win vs. Minnesota. Northwestern is an even WORSE passing team, so we might be able to pull off an upset there. However, Purdue is #52 in passing offense...

Our defense has given up 30+ points twice this year. And that took overtime and a Hail Mary to get it.

As much as i hate seeing yards pile up. the defense isn't giving up a lot of points.

• Fire 1

Our offense def hasn't helped us any lately, but if it isn't he most obvious thing in the world then I don't know what is.

You CANNOT expect to have your DBs never look at the QB running with WRs all game. Said this since week 1 and nothing has changed. You better have 4 All-Americans back there if you ever want to have a good pass defense in this scheme.

We NEVER look back for the ball -- just hoping to knock it away when it reaches their hands.

Our defense has given up 30+ points twice this year. And that took overtime and a Hail Mary to get it.

As much as i hate seeing yards pile up. the defense isn't giving up a lot of points.

This is the part that is frustrating. I agree. We aren't giving up a ton of points.

It's almost a situational thing. If the game is close at the end with the opponent having the ball, we can't stop them.

Our D is also at the bottom for plays over 10, 20 and 40 yards IIRC.... That doesn't help. I think teams now will just take shots knowing the pass D will break and they get 6 or a big play.

Our technique and play on the back end is killing us. As is the offensive scheme. Since we have no run game and TA is no longer a run threat, teams can double Westy or other receivers. Making TA have to make tight throws. We get the running game strong again, let TA run more, the D will have to drop down guys in the box to help. Now single coverage with "easier" throws for TA.

Its all scheme. Not talent. On either side of the ball.