OWH: Ranking Every Husker Loss Since 2001

Mavric

I might put the '96 loss to Arizona State on there somewhere. A 17-0 shutout that knocked us off the pedestal of 90s dominance. I remember how sad that was.

well for one, its since 2001.

2. That loss was shocking. But it didnt merely knock us off the pedestal. We were one win for playing for another title 3 months later. And won it all the next year. It was actually just a slight blip in an era.

I didn't notice 2001 that until after posting. I guess we could have made to the the MNC game with that loss. But it sure seemed like the end of the era at the time. :dunno:

Personal List:

10 vs WI 2014

9 vs TT 2005

8 vs TT 2004

7. vs tx 2009

6. vs tx 2003

5. vs tx 2007

4. vs tx 2006

3. vs. tx 2002

2. vs. tx 2010

1. vs CU 2001

I have a lot of family in tx and they are absolutely insufferable when it comes to football due to the streak they have. Not to mention the fact that they overtook us for all time wins in 1/1/2005 when they won the Rose Bowl and we didn't even make a bowl. We're still like 9 back. Everyone mentions CU 01 - I have a name for it - The Curse of Black Friday - and it still haunts us. After all that's gone down this year, it's hard to deny it.

Personal List:

10 vs WI 2014

9 vs TT 2005

8 vs TT 2004

7. vs tx 2009

6. vs tx 2003

5. vs tx 2007

4. vs tx 2006

3. vs. tx 2002

2. vs. tx 2010

1. vs CU 2001

I have a lot of family in tx and they are absolutely insufferable when it comes to football due to the streak they have. Not to mention the fact that they overtook us for all time wins in 1/1/2005 when they won the Rose Bowl and we didn't even make a bowl. We're still like 9 back. Everyone mentions CU 01 - I have a name for it - The Curse of Black Friday - and it still haunts us. After all that's gone down this year, it's hard to deny it.

I refer to it simply as The Debacle in Boulder. It really is most definitely the game that started the slide from excellence.

I would put the Penn State game in 2002 way higher for me. Penn State 2002 my goodness, watching Larry Johnson run wild. Good grief.

My Top 10.

1. Colorado 2001 - No words. Nebraska couldn't stop over pursuing.

2. Penn State 2002 - Larry Johnson, this game is what brought me back to reality. I mean, 3 blowout losses in the last 4-5 games NU had played. It was an unreal time in my life as a Husker fan.

3. Texas 2009 - :01 is the amount of time it took from me to go from the highest high to the most extreme drunk pissy person possible.

4. Texas 2006 - Terrence Nunn, never liked the guy after this game. Freshman in college that year. Watched in my dorm with friends, freaked out most of the game only to end in heartbreak.

5. Virginia Tech 2009 - DANNY COALE ALL THE WAY!!!! makes me sick.

6. Texas Tech 2005 & 2008 - These two games are the same for me, watching LeKevin Smith fumble that ball. Then watching Joe Ganz throw that pick after we blocked that PAT.

7. Iowa State 2009 - 7 turnovers. Wow.

8. Oklahoma 2010 - I thought NU was going to run away. Turns out they did, in a sense. After this point, I had gotten numb to losing. Nothing after this game has affected me as much as losses prior to this one. It had gotten to the point for me, that we were never gunna turn the corner, something supernatural was keeping us "left behind"

9. Missouri 2003 - Brad Smith, ugh, Jammal Lord with that fumble when trying to throw. Sheesh.

10. Kansas State 2003 - I remember watching Darren Sproles drag TJ Hollowell into the endzone.

I would say they have the Texas game at #1 because it completely hits their first three criteria:

1) how long the loss lingered;

2) how the game ended and

3) significance of the game and

Of often is :01 brought up? It was a game we had won and let get away by three crazy plays in the last few seconds - kick OOB, horse-collar tackle, time back on the clock - that could easily have gone our way. And it would basically be tied for the second-most significant game - with the other CCGs, behind the 2001 NCG - that we've played since then. Which would have ended our conference championship drought.

So perhaps we weren't expected to win. But that's the old argument - which is worse, losing a game by three scores or almost winning a game you shouldn't only to let it slip away?

Kind of sounds like a loss that matches this year's defeats.

I will only point to one thing about the KSU loss in 03' and that KSU was the best team Snyder ever put on the field. That team went on to embarrass OU in te Big 12 title game.

For me the worst loss has to be 01' Colorado. Everyone is right who says this was the start of the downward spiral. The invincibility of the program was damaged. If that loss would have been a game where we lost by less than a touchdown, who knows what might have happened in the future. This was the downfall. 02' season was bad, but expected in some ways after losing most of the roster after the 01 season. That was when I think most realized that Solich couldn't recruit enough athletes to compete with the best, but 03' was decent, and had some very good players.

As far as the rest on that list, its a toss up. Where did the 08' Kansas loss rank? Too me that was a complete low point. That game and Callahan made Fatgino look like a genius.

No way Colorado 2001 is not number 1 on that list. It should be 1A, 1B, & 1C. That definitely signaled the beginning (or really the end of an era) of a new dynamic for Husker football. I was at that game and it changed my football soul. Had never experienced anything close to that at a Husker game before. It was gut wrenching to say the least. Unfortunately, ever since then, that feeling has been all too common of an occurrence. That one game is why, to this day, I am extremely careful in selecting games I will attend in person. I never, ever, want to experience a game like that in person again. If I think we're going to get prison raped, count me out for attending, don't need to be there.

My guess is you didn't go to the Wisconsin games in 2011, 2012 (B1G Championship) and last year's game in Madison. I think all three of those fit your description of prison-raped.

I will only point to one thing about the KSU loss in 03' and that KSU was the best team Snyder ever put on the field. That team went on to embarrass OU in te Big 12 title game.

For me the worst loss has to be 01' Colorado. Everyone is right who says this was the start of the downward spiral. The invincibility of the program was damaged. If that loss would have been a game where we lost by less than a touchdown, who knows what might have happened in the future. This was the downfall. 02' season was bad, but expected in some ways after losing most of the roster after the 01 season. That was when I think most realized that Solich couldn't recruit enough athletes to compete with the best, but 03' was decent, and had some very good players.

As far as the rest on that list, its a toss up. Where did the 08' Kansas loss rank? Too me that was a complete low point. That game and Callahan made Fatgino look like a genius.

2007 Kansas game. Kansas had 76 points with a ton of time left, I thought they would score 90 that day

Again, 07' KU team was the best that they will have. That was again a really good team on both sides of the ball. Of course, these teams and losses are easy to remember because they have slowly undone the Big Red mojo.

Personally, I am a Big 12 fan yet because of the old school rivals and teams, but to be honest, the losses to some of these Big 10 teams are far worst than some of those on the top 10 list. Excluding the 01' CU loss and a couple others, some of our Big 10 losses have been awful. Minnesota x 2, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisky x 3, because of the manner we lost some of these games, they are bad losses, that kind of lead to Bo being let Go.

I might put the '96 loss to Arizona State on there somewhere. A 17-0 shutout that knocked us off the pedestal of 90s dominance. I remember how sad that was.

well for one, its since 2001.

2. That loss was shocking. But it didnt merely knock us off the pedestal. We were one win for playing for another title 3 months later. And won it all the next year. It was actually just a slight blip in an era.

I didn't notice 2001 that until after posting. I guess we could have made to the the MNC game with that loss. But it sure seemed like the end of the era at the time. :dunno:

understood. My bad. I didnt think of it as "at that time".

I was 12. I cried like a little bitch. Think about it. 2 years and 9 months since the last loss. Lol

Personally the most heartbreaking loss is the 2009 Big 12 title game. Everything that could go wrong on our last defensive stand, did. I still maintain Colt Mccoy never got in the endzone in that game, he was down when he reached the ball across.

The worst overall embarassment is always going to be the 2012 Big Ten title game. We spent the entirity of the debacle in a hospital with my wifes family as her uncle layed on his death bed, and that was the crap sandwhich we had on the TV.