"Joe" from Know It All Football

With time on our side, and the win basically gift wrapped and HANDED to us, we dropped the proverbial ball, again……typical.
With three runs plays dialed up that even my nine year old could predict, Wisconsin stuffs the ball back down the Huskers’ throats and forces another punt. I hate to sound like a broken record, but are-you-kidding?!

Ha ha! Last week when Langsdorf tried to be creative with a QB bootleg which went awry Husker fans almost strung him up at the nearest cottonwood. This week he calls three established running plays and Husker fans are again eyeing that cottonwood. :lol:

I would think someone named Nuance would be able to see the subtle differences between the two situations.

Somebody put it best last week: They ran the right plays in the in the wrong weeks!

Besides that, it's pretty sad that the coaches let fan reactions to a certain play call affect future play calls. Really? they wouldn't consider a pass at the wnd of the Wiscy game because fans were too upset with the pass against the Illini???

Do you know that's the reason they didn't call a pass? You must have some great insights. It's easy to sit here five days later second guessing the play calls, and spitballing about what they should have called instead. You remind me of a poster a few years back who said: "Why don't they just call plays that work?"

99.5% chance of winning that game. All they have to do is run the clock down. Easy. Illinois has no timeouts remaining. They could've taken a knee. And they call a play from the playbook which includes an option to pass. But they somehow supposedly communicated (smoke signals??) to Tommy that the pass option was off the table for this one time special case. And you're defending this idiocy?

In the Wiscy game, it's completely different. They know they need a first down to ice the game or give Wiscy the ball back with over a minute to play. They didn't even try for a 1st down. They did what they SHOULD have done the previous week (in a completely different situation.) They didn't need to pass, but three straight up the gut is pretty much guaranteed NOT to get a 1st down against Wiscy.

I can't believe I even need to explain this crap. 13 year old kids playing Madden would've called the correct plays in BOTH situations 99% of the time.

Are you a 13 year old who plays Madden? That certainly would explain your behavior. The way you prance around the board taking victory laps after our losses, relishing in our misery. :facepalm:

Ha LOL

With time on our side, and the win basically gift wrapped and HANDED to us, we dropped the proverbial ball, again……typical.
With three runs plays dialed up that even my nine year old could predict, Wisconsin stuffs the ball back down the Huskers’ throats and forces another punt. I hate to sound like a broken record, but are-you-kidding?!

Ha ha! Last week when Langsdorf tried to be creative with a QB bootleg which went awry Husker fans almost strung him up at the nearest cottonwood. This week he calls three established running plays and Husker fans are again eyeing that cottonwood. :lol:

It's so freaking stupid it makes me want to literally smack the dumb f'ers that do this. These coaches have no chance of pleasing these people, not a chance. It's not anything to do with what happens on the field. They've got their mind made up already, they probably already had their minds made up in December when their beloved BoBo got canned and they pledged allegiance that they would hate whoever replaced him, as a display of respect and jock-riding love for their beloved nostril flaring jackass.

A lot of peoples' opinions on play calling has to do with the results. At Illinois, if Tommy leads Ozigbo on that pass and he makes the first down off of it, people would have been praising the guts of Riley and Langsdorf. Against Wisconsin, if the blocking were more favorable and Cross/Jano punch the ball for a first down, everyone would have praised them then as well. It all depends on results, and when the results aren't favorable, all the armchair coaches emerge with the "If I was coach, we'd have..." garbage.

Not true at all for me, I would have still said it was a bad call. The three running plays against Wisconsin were not in themselves bad, but they could have been a little more creative. Say one of the QB counters or even an outside zone. Cross should have followed his blocking though. At third and 7 I actually may have thought about throwing a pass. The time is still going to be stopped by Wisconsin with a TO. The only thing running did was make then use their final TO.

It was definitely bad playcalling the past two weeks. But yes, if the bad playcalls are successful, they are forgotten pretty quickly.

I would think someone named Nuance would be able to see the subtle differences between the two situations.

Somebody put it best last week: They ran the right plays in the in the wrong weeks!

Besides that, it's pretty sad that the coaches let fan reactions to a certain play call affect future play calls. Really? they wouldn't consider a pass at the wnd of the Wiscy game because fans were too upset with the pass against the Illini???

Do you know that's the reason they didn't call a pass? You must have some great insights. It's easy to sit here five days later second guessing the play calls, and spitballing about what they should have called instead. You remind me of a poster a few years back who said: "Why don't they just call plays that work?"

99.5% chance of winning that game. All they have to do is run the clock down. Easy. Illinois has no timeouts remaining. They could've taken a knee. And they call a play from the playbook which includes an option to pass. But they somehow supposedly communicated (smoke signals??) to Tommy that the pass option was off the table for this one time special case. And you're defending this idiocy?

In the Wiscy game, it's completely different. They know they need a first down to ice the game or give Wiscy the ball back with over a minute to play. They didn't even try for a 1st down. They did what they SHOULD have done the previous week (in a completely different situation.) They didn't need to pass, but three straight up the gut is pretty much guaranteed NOT to get a 1st down against Wiscy.

I can't believe I even need to explain this crap. 13 year old kids playing Madden would've called the correct plays in BOTH situations 99% of the time.

Are you a 13 year old who plays Madden? That certainly would explain your behavior. The way you prance around the board taking victory laps after our losses, relishing in our misery. :facepalm:

At least I'm not defending obvious idiocy.

• Fire 3

Does a good play call that doesn't work exist?

Yes.

If the pass was caught in the ill game and the clock continued to run, would it have a good play or a bad play that we were lucky to get?

If we threw a pass in the Wisconsin game and it was intercepted right there, would it have been the right play but poorly executed?

In both instances, the final score was dictated by what our D did in the defining moments. Yep, makes it much easier to coach from the confines of a TV drinking beer, especially after we see the replay's 100 times.

LOL'ed at this!

ROAR NUance!

Sicem. +1

17928139-close-up-shot-de-le-n-rugiente.

It's so freaking stupid it makes me want to literally smack the dumb f'ers that do this. These coaches have no chance of pleasing these people, not a chance. It's not anything to do with what happens on the field. They've got their mind made up already, they probably already had their minds made up in December when their beloved BoBo got canned and they pledged allegiance that they would hate whoever replaced him, as a display of respect and jock-riding love for their beloved nostril flaring jackass.

Laughed at this too! +1 sooooo true it's scary!

• Fire 1

Does a good play call that doesn't work exist?

Yes.

If the pass was caught in the ill game and the clock continued to run, would it have a good play or a bad play that we were lucky to get?

If we threw a pass in the Wisconsin game and it was intercepted right there, would it have been the right play but poorly executed?

In both instances, the final score was dictated by what our D did in the defining moments. Yep, makes it much easier to coach from the confines of a TV drinking beer, especially after we see the replay's 100 times.

The Illinois call was a bad call. It was an overly complicated convoluted call when taking a knee would've won the game. If it would've worked, it was still a bad call (which most people would've forgotten about almost immediately).

Against Wiscy, any kind of timing pass thrown in traffic would've been a bad call. Most passes of any type would've been a bad call. A sweep, or some time type of counter/misdirection running play, or even the bootleg run (properly communicated) would've been a good call. Those are examples of good calls that may not have worked, but no one would've been able to say "WTF! They didn't even TRY to get a 1st down!"

The D shares some blame, but in the Illinois game, they shouldn't even have had to take the field again. The Wiscy game, we could've made a valiant effort at a first down and failed and the D would've been in the exact same scenario anyway, so they share a little more blame in that one.

• Fire 1

Langsdorf had nothing to do with losing those games.

Maybe Langsdorf should have something to do with winning some games...just throwing that out there...

He would have since they had a lead in every game with 10 seconds left. Last time I checked, scoring more points than the other team was the goal.

I moved a few posts into the Offending post thread in the Shed. Both sides of this ongoing debate had gotten off topic and a bit heated. Keep it on topic: "Joe" from Know It All Football

==========================

I'm all for people expressing their opinions, and back-and-forth debates. But it seems like every thread during this past troubled month have been polluted by a handful of posters who spout out the same old trash. Keep it civil. Or I'm gonna run the message board equivalent of a fullback trap over your ass.

• Fire 4

Joe seems able to judge Mike Riley and company on the lack of success shown by Mike Riley and company, without trying to refute or mitigate that lack of success by tying it it to the previous head coach. I admire Joe from "Know it All Football" for being able to do that, and I believe I am on topic with this post.