"Joe" from Know It All Football

I moved a few posts into the Offending post thread in the Shed. Both sides of this ongoing debate had gotten off topic and a bit heated. Keep it on topic: "Joe" from Know It All Football

==========================

I'm all for people expressing their opinions, and back-and-forth debates. But it seems like every thread during this past troubled month have been polluted by a handful of posters who spout out the same old trash. Keep it civil. Or I'm gonna run the message board equivalent of a fullback trap over your ass.

So vacation them or ban them. I'm sick of reading all that repetitive garbage and I'm sure I'm not alone.

• Fire 3

Doesn't this offense have any "creative" run plays other than run into the middle of the line where all the defenders are waiting? Zone read, counter, fake the sweep run up the middle, something. And why was Imani Cross the one running it? I don't know. This staff and their play calling/personnel decisions have just been baffling.

• Fire 3

I moved a few posts into the Offending post thread in the Shed. Both sides of this ongoing debate had gotten off topic and a bit heated. Keep it on topic: "Joe" from Know It All Football

==========================

I'm all for people expressing their opinions, and back-and-forth debates. But it seems like every thread during this past troubled month have been polluted by a handful of posters who spout out the same old trash. Keep it civil. Or I'm gonna run the message board equivalent of a fullback trap over your ass.

So vacation them or ban them. I'm sick of reading all that repetitive garbage and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Agreed. It would be nice if some people would leave the past in the past and focus on the now and the future.

Good call.

Yeah, why didn't we run this?

FXsa6V.gif

That's Pierson El right there.

I mean, look how creative that was, and it worked really, really well.

Unless I'm wrong, I saw something a few minutes into the game, the announcers mentioning that Wisconsin had a true freshman and a redshirt freshman both in Wisconsin's starting linebacker corps? T.J. Edwards and Chris Orr? So running your final three plays straight at the heart of a young Wisconsin LB'er group, and we weren't able to take advantage of that?

So now that we have covered blaming the coaches, let's look at the first play.

UkG0-U.gif

If Imani bounces that outside of Cethan seal on the edge, that's easy first down if not more.

What's the call on this one ya'll think? Is this a designed counter or does the RB choose to cut it back? Or is that Langsdorf running the ball? Looks to me like that left side was blocked really well.

izQEWn.gif

How about this third down play. Janovich had just broken a touchdown on a run right up the gut just moments ago.....

yFxTlY.gif

What was Langsdorf thinking giving Janovich the ball up the middle again? Crazy! Should've play action passed and thrown incomplete to stop the clock and allow Wisconsin to keep a timeout in their pocket. Or run that bootleg play we f'd up against Illinois again, this time we would've gotten it right I'm sure.....

Hindsight is an advantage the morons questioning this stuff get the advantage of, Langsdorf is in the moment and has seconds to make the play call. I'd have him call it no other way than how he did. The players had the opportunity to take the game in their hands. That's how the players want it. Wisconsin stood up and played tough defense and it just didn't work out.

Sadly our defense allowed Wisconsin to come right down the field and get into field goal range. If they hadn't, you'd all be finding something else to complain about even after a victory over a team that set a rushing record on our Blackshirts last year.

So give it up.

• Fire 2

True, I appreciate you getting all defensive. I like your passion.

Now, tell me, on our last 3 offensive plays how many yards did we gain and how much time did we kill by running head first at the defensive line that had 3 time outs?

So because they gobbled up our ball carrier on the outside a couple other times in the game, that justifies running it up the middle 3 times? I guess if you want it to? All I know is that running to the outside would theoretically bleed more time, even if it's only a second or two, before the ball carrier gets tackled down.

Actually, listening to some other perspectives on this matter of Cross's runs, the 2nd down play was designed for him to cut out left. Watch the blocking scheme, watch even TA on this play. Cross didn't run the play call right. Listen to former players who seem to know alot about things going on in this program. First off, its noticable that some players are not buying into this coaching change. Jay Foreman pretty much eluded to that on this radio call in part.

IE: not running the ball where its designed to go, might cause some issues.

Jankovich would have been such and easy target. He got his long run of the year, that more than likely won't ever be there again. When he is in the backfield, linebackers will be keying on him the rest of the season. Not saying that we don't keep using him, but don't expect any more 50+ yard runs for TD's.

Blocking during the last parts of the 4th quarter in these games hasn't been really great either. Sure blame every aspect of the team for there mistakes. Its starts and stops with offensive and defensive lineman doing there job first. If our D-line appllied more pressure, this would take some pressure off of our db's. If our O-lineman held a block longer than 1/2 a second, we might gain more than 2 yards a rush. The only reason the Janko run happened was the defensive line bull rushed and were in our backfield before Janko even received the ball. Than ran past him! Good play call, with some defensive help as well.

Foundations of all teams start on O line play and D line play.

With time on our side, and the win basically gift wrapped and HANDED to us, we dropped the proverbial ball, again……typical.

With three runs plays dialed up that even my nine year old could predict, Wisconsin stuffs the ball back down the Huskers’ throats and forces another punt. I hate to sound like a broken record, but are-you-kidding?!

Ha ha! Last week when Langsdorf tried to be creative with a QB bootleg which went awry Husker fans almost strung him up at the nearest cottonwood. This week he calls three established running plays and Husker fans are again eyeing that cottonwood. :lol:

I would think someone named Nuance would be able to see the subtle differences between the two situations.

Somebody put it best last week: They ran the right plays in the in the wrong weeks!

Besides that, it's pretty sad that the coaches let fan reactions to a certain play call affect future play calls. Really? they wouldn't consider a pass at the wnd of the Wiscy game because fans were too upset with the pass against the Illini???

Do you know that's the reason they didn't call a pass? You must have some great insights. It's easy to sit here five days later second guessing the play calls, and spitballing about what they should have called instead. You remind me of a poster a few years back who said: "Why don't they just call plays that work?"

99.5% chance of winning that game. All they have to do is run the clock down. Easy. Illinois has no timeouts remaining. They could've taken a knee. And they call a play from the playbook which includes an option to pass. But they somehow supposedly communicated (smoke signals??) to Tommy that the pass option was off the table for this one time special case. And you're defending this idiocy?

In the Wiscy game, it's completely different. They know they need a first down to ice the game or give Wiscy the ball back with over a minute to play. They didn't even try for a 1st down. They did what they SHOULD have done the previous week (in a completely different situation.) They didn't need to pass, but three straight up the gut is pretty much guaranteed NOT to get a 1st down against Wiscy.

I can't believe I even need to explain this crap. 13 year old kids playing Madden would've called the correct plays in BOTH situations 99% of the time.

Are you a 13 year old who plays Madden? That certainly would explain your behavior. The way you prance around the board taking victory laps after our losses, relishing in our misery. :facepalm:

Whatever happened to attack the post NOT the poster? or do renegade mods get exceptions when they don't agree with a comment?

• Fire 3

With time on our side, and the win basically gift wrapped and HANDED to us, we dropped the proverbial ball, again……typical.
With three runs plays dialed up that even my nine year old could predict, Wisconsin stuffs the ball back down the Huskers’ throats and forces another punt. I hate to sound like a broken record, but are-you-kidding?!

Ha ha! Last week when Langsdorf tried to be creative with a QB bootleg which went awry Husker fans almost strung him up at the nearest cottonwood. This week he calls three established running plays and Husker fans are again eyeing that cottonwood. :lol:

It's so freaking stupid it makes me want to literally smack the dumb f'ers that do this. These coaches have no chance of pleasing these people, not a chance. It's not anything to do with what happens on the field. They've got their mind made up already, they probably already had their minds made up in December when their beloved BoBo got canned and they pledged allegiance that they would hate whoever replaced him, as a display of respect and jock-riding love for their beloved nostril flaring jackass.

A lot of peoples' opinions on play calling has to do with the results. At Illinois, if Tommy leads Ozigbo on that pass and he makes the first down off of it, people would have been praising the guts of Riley and Langsdorf. Against Wisconsin, if the blocking were more favorable and Cross/Jano punch the ball for a first down, everyone would have praised them then as well. It all depends on results, and when the results aren't favorable, all the armchair coaches emerge with the "If I was coach, we'd have..." garbage.

While there is truth in what you say as it is always easy to be the QB the Monday morning after, there are still basic fundamentals involved in 'play calling'. Calling plays is somewhat art as much as science really. But, you still have to use good judgement based on ALL the facts and circumstances of the game as then existing. Each and every play of a football game is like the next move in a chess game. Frank solich was a checkers player attempting to play chess. Against other checkers players, Frank often did OK. Callahan was a clear chess player but he liked to use his knights and Queen and wasted his pawns often to no apparent advantage. Osborne was extremely careful and played the games almost the same way every time with basic strategies that all who watched recognized. He never cared for finesse - he overwhelmed with brute force.

Riley appears more like Callahan than Osborne but time will tell. I remain hopeful that Riley is a wise old fox and will see the wisdom of using more power over finesse. The passing game of the 'west coast offense' style is too much of a playground or backyard football strategy. It won't work in college, at the highest levels of success on a steady basis because you don't have the time to teach the players before their college playing time is over. The time clock starts ticking the day the arrive on campus after a couple brief years in high school football. There will be dam few HS age recruits ready to play Riley football at a high level. It will take a couple years to learn it and another year on the field to become 'seasoned' in it. By then you have a senior year as a highly proficient player and the team performs at a high enough level to win most of the games. Then the cycle repeats itself. It works in pro ball because players are already the best of the best from college and can be ready to go and play for 6 or 8 years at a winning level. And in pro ball, 8-4 is great. Going undefeated is the college football measure of greatness! It is almost unheard of to even consider it in the pros.

• Fire 1

No, but Mods will try to put blatant trolls in their place

weird, I don't see anything trollish about that personal opinion. Actually seems to be the same thing I'm hearing on a lot of the talk shows as well. Whereas NUance's comments are blatantly a personal attack.

Dude, if you haven't noticed GBRednecks nonsense over the past week then good for you.

If you have and you are willfully getting in his corner, good luck with that.

• Fire 1

True, I appreciate you getting all defensive. I like your passion.

Now, tell me, on our last 3 offensive plays how many yards did we gain and how much time did we kill by running head first at the defensive line that had 3 time outs?

So because they gobbled up our ball carrier on the outside a couple other times in the game, that justifies running it up the middle 3 times? I guess if you want it to? All I know is that running to the outside would theoretically bleed more time, even if it's only a second or two, before the ball carrier gets tackled down.

read what he wrote with each play. had what should have happened actually happened, more than the 12 seconds that came off the clock would have come off the clock. the second down play was especially irksome because cross was ankle tackled by a guy that was sipping gatorade when the ball was snapped.