Minnesota message boards: what are they saying?

zoogs

For some reason fans thought Jerry Kill was better. Mike Riley has a long track record and was an NFL coach and courted by USC multiple times for a reason.

ML continues to make bad decisions and is indecisive! He is unreliable and just because he had some good series doesn't change who he is

(This is after their 16/17 QB goes 2-4 in the 3rd quarter)

We are a poorly coached team.

Man.In sports, you win some and you lose some. No need to get some miserable over it.

It's crazy, isn't it? It's obviously worse in college football with the smallish schedules, but it's that way basically everywhere in all sports. It's really interesting in sports with longer schedules where a team has a mid season slump then goes on to win a title. Read some of those forums during the slump and you'll really question how humanity got out of their caves!

There's so much extremism. This game of ours today is a good example of why you want to stay in the middle. We weren't as bad as we seemed coming in, and we're not as good as we seem coming out of it.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

It has to be the same everywhere doesn't it?

• Fire 1

Most people expect to beat Nebraska this year. Honestly I'd be upset losing to this team as well...

I'm a big believer that you are what your record says you are with very rare exceptions. NU would be one of those very rare exceptions. There isn't a single team Nebraska has played this year that they weren't in a position to beat. Even Miami, who blew us out to open that game, let us fight back and almost win. There are definitely worst, and less talented teams, they could lose to.

• Fire 3

how can Miinnesota fans seriously question Jerry Kill...He has brought their program into relevance.

He's also shown his ceiling isn't very high.

In what way has he shown that? Not arguing with you, I'd just like your reasoning......heck I might even agree with it. But your statement standing alone needs some 'splainin'.

Most people expect to beat Nebraska this year. Honestly I'd be upset losing to this team as well...

I'm a big believer that you are what your record says you are with very rare exceptions. NU would be one of those very rare exceptions. There isn't a single team Nebraska has played this year that they weren't in a position to beat. Even Miami, who blew us out to open that game, let us fight back and almost win. There are definitely worst, and less talented teams, they could lose to.

I don't even know what that first statement means. "You are what your record says your are"...?This is college football...any team can beat any other team on any given day. Also most games are often decided by what often looks like 1 or a few misplays.

The fact of that matter is, we don't look like a solid team. We have an obvious weakness in our secondary that every team picks apart. We are anything but consistent in our passing game. We have yet to dominate a single team, except for the glorified FCS teams we played (and struggled with)...

We aren't unlucky. We aren't just catching bad breaks. We are a sub-mediocre football team.

• Fire 1

Enhance, I have always enjoyed your posts. I agree with what you say, but with the bold part I do disagree here.

The term "you are what your record says you are" was a term coined by an NFL coach, Bill Parcells. Maybe he picked that up from someone before him. But he would say that to dodge reality and media questions regarding where the team stands (how good/bad they are in the moment after a game).

I do not think the Huskers are equivalent to their W-L record. The 4 losses by 11 pts combined? Would love to see the probability stat from the game that showed BYU and ILL both having less than 2% chance of winning (in 4th against Huskers). That's lottery odds. At worst the Big Red should be sitting at 5-2. Dig deeper and WISC got two FG chances to beat the Huskers in under 2 minutes. Miami needed an Overtime.

Turn on ESPN and see an LSU QB chuck a deep ball downfield and see the FLA corner slip on the field and fall down. LSU WR catches it, scores a TD, and at halftime you hear how much LSU has answered the bell (or QB play so-to-speak). Seriously, he slipped, the other team got lucky...WTF?!

I like this team. Regardless of the won-loss record. I like them more than the previous Husker squads in the past few years because of the adversity they are up against with the depth issues, injuries, new coaches to learn from, new schemes, tougher schedule, former pivotal players on both sides of the ball moved onto the NFL, etc. How could anyone not embrace this year's team??

I dislike the record. But at same time, the football breaks have not been on their side, and I understand that many games have been decided by a play, or a few plays, or a kick, or a misjudged opportunity, or fatigue, or a bad playcall.... but there has never been a collapse or a game where the Huskers have been manhandled or taken to the woodshed. This is a good team with lots of opportunities left!

Ok that's all lol :lol: GBR!

• Fire 2

how can Miinnesota fans seriously question Jerry Kill...He has brought their program into relevance.

He's also shown his ceiling isn't very high.

In what way has he shown that? Not arguing with you, I'd just like your reasoning......heck I might even agree with it. But your statement standing alone needs some 'splainin'.

I agree. Jerry Kill and staff has shown an ability to win in spite of the talent on his roster. Over-performed by a lot.

Based on recruitings rankings, though, his team might have a ceiling. He has a good class this year, and boy does he need it.

I also disagree that he has brought the program to new heights. Glenn Mason had some sustained success and changed expectations there but couldn't get over the hump. I would compare Mason with Dan McCarney at ISU.

Gopher fans are awful....

The coaching staff can take the loss, full blame, period. The regression this year has been painful. The not having a big10 caliber qb combined with a MAJOR downturn and mysterious regession in OL play combined with some bad injuries has led to the regression we are seeing.

Today, I put it all on Jerry and co. We were THOROUGHLY outclassed in preparation and effort. I was worried coming in - I should have been rooting for Nebraska last week as they were truly in a must win situation. That said, looking at our next 3 games, we were damn close to that as well. What bothered the shix out of me today was the stark difference in attitude and effort on the field. I just dont get that.

OL was brutal. Just brutal. This center aint the next coming of Jim Langer. Not yet anyway. THe not finishing blocks just astounds me. We fn have to rollout a nonrollout qb every pass play that isnt a play action just to give him a chance to make a pass. Pathetic.

Beyond just not being ready to play, I felt we were outschemed and outcoached badly today. The defense looked lost at times. Tackling wasnt what it usually is, and the secondary was putrid.

What a miserable fn game.

We beat Kent State 10-7

We can't throw a football.

We got destroyed by NW who has been obliterated since.

I'd say we are bad. I was scared of Purdue.

No coach can win at Minnesota, that much has been proven. What bugs me about Jer is how his ego and arrogance has taken over. The guy bamboozled the "U" for a ridiculous contract extension, then gets sarcastic on reporters when they ask legitimate questions about the team.

The losing culture continues...

Here is what they were saying before the game:

are you seriously comparing a state with pro sports to fu-----g nebraska

seriously LMAO.gif LMAO.gif

you'd still be selling out your stadium with the schit football you've been playing for decades with the nebraska vikings, nebraska timberwolves, nebraska wild, and nebraska twins all playing in lincoln.

half those 90,000 dunces go because they think the old days could come back......LMAO

Well it is kind of hard to get up for a 2-4, last in the west division team.

I do have to give our fans credit for showing up.

I'd especially like to thank the students. They could be doing other things on a saturday afternoon than watching a schit nebraska team come to town.

well if you hadn't won in 50 years and had 4 pro teams in lincoln........if you want to think you'd still be doing 90,000, who am I to wreck your cherished delusions!

You'd be illinois or Purdue in attendance buddy.

I don't even know what that first statement means. "You are what your record says your are"...?This is college football...any team can beat any other team on any given day. Also most games are often decided by what often looks like 1 or a few misplays.

The fact of that matter is, we don't look like a solid team. We have an obvious weakness in our secondary that every team picks apart. We are anything but consistent in our passing game. We have yet to dominate a single team, except for the glorified FCS teams we played (and struggled with)...

We aren't unlucky. We aren't just catching bad breaks. We are a sub-mediocre football team.

Your argument applies to just about every sport in the world. On any given day, almost any team from any sport can beat their opponent. Four win NFL teams have upset 10+ win teams, 30 win basketball teams have beat 60 win basketball teams. That's not just a college football thing or somehow exclusive to one sport. Furthermore, obviously football games come down to a few plays - every single sport comes down to a few key plays sometimes.

Nebraska is an average team IMHO, so I'm not really disagreeing with you there. My point is this team isn't lightyears away from having a better record than what they currently have. They're really only a handful of plays away from having a much better record. Sure, they haven't gotten it done, but the doom and gloom around here would make you think this team is terrible.