DB Struggles

Redux

"Our 'Quarters Coverage' is a zone defense, but it's zone and then when routes develop, we pick up (man-to-man)" he said. "The guys are still not 100%...they don't have it yet because they weren't (man-to-man) players (in the previous system)..."

Bottom Line "There are mechanics to it that we're still learning" Banker said.

http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/article_26214df6-756d-11e5-81ac-d3c603549676.html?mobile_touch=true

I hope it's an acclimation process and that's it. The other possibility is that our secondary coach is not very good at teaching them.

I think they're getting better, and they're competing. There are lapses like ... I think it was Kalu or Cockrell who was turned around and lost his receiver on that first TD. There are things like the roll out dump to the flats pass that they did for a good part of the first half without NU being able to take it away.

It seems like the DBs have been put asked to do things that they have not quite been up to. They're not backing down from the challenge, either, which is good.

Been numerous posts about quarters coverage. I "bought" into the pre-season HS defense..... Until I started reading. It might seem simple, but far from it. It is predicated on every DB and LB's making the right read on the routes of the receivers and then passing it off to the other guy. For example, MSU passes of the vertical routes to the LB's if the receiver breaks it off at say 8 yards. This forces the LB to be cognizant of the receivers as well as a possible run.... A lot of quick reads and then react.

I would still like to see our guys play more press. If its a 3rd and 6 and the DB's are 8-10 yards off, its a pretty easy audible to have the receiver break off the route. Come off hard to drive the DB back and break off the route. AGAIN, not saying this is MSU D, but Narduzzi had them playing press 90-95% of the time. I like that. Sanders coached a very physical press style and it worked well......

My biggest concern is that there are ways to help the DB's. As of yet, it appears to be learn it all with no help because when they "get it", it will be a pretty salty D. Unsure if I wouldn't change up a little to help them...

• Fire 1

"When routes develop, we pick up man-to-man" that seems like an awfully grey area to me. Maybe that's why for short-mid distance throws we are still playing soft coverage because the "route hadn't developed yet". We've started to cover the long ball better, but those short-medium distance throws are where we still look lost.

I hope it's an acclimation process and that's it. The other possibility is that our secondary coach is not very good at teaching them.

I think they're getting better, and they're competing. There are lapses like ... I think it was Kalu or Cockrell who was turned around and lost his receiver on that first TD. There are things like the roll out dump to the flats pass that they did for a good part of the first half without NU being able to take it away.

It seems like the DBs have been put asked to do things that they have not quite been up to. They're not backing down from the challenge, either, which is good.

Didn't the DBs in the previous defense always keep a hand on the reciever? I noticed yesterday we weren't doing that and so when our DB turns to look for the ball it's easier for him to lose his man.

In regards to the demands placed on our db's being a reason for struggles against the pass, I really haven't seen too many blown assignments. That shows they know what they are doing. What they really struggle with (and I mean REALLY STRUGGLE, like worst I've ever seen) is with their ball skills. Coverage is usually pretty good to excellent. Just bat it down man. Just bat it down... (looking at you Jonathan Rose and Cockerill)

• Fire 3

They are consistently not putting themselves in a position to be successful. The receivers are getting behind them or their position is so bad (hips turned wrong way) that there is not chance to recover.

I was a DB in college, but I'm far from an expert. The position that several of these guys repeatedly put themselves in leverage 101.

I think we the athletes, but it just hasn't come together yet. It may not.

I'm not sure if we have any really good playmakers at db. I'm not saying that they're not athletic just that they don't seem to make the plays

Same kids that were here last year made plays in the old system, now they're not good playmakers? Sorry, don't buy that.

• Fire 3

"Our 'Quarters Coverage' is a zone defense, but it's zone and then when routes develop, we pick up (man-to-man)" he said. "The guys are still not 100%...they don't have it yet because they weren't (man-to-man) players (in the previous system)..."

Bottom Line "There are mechanics to it that we're still learning" Banker said.

http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/article_26214df6-756d-11e5-81ac-d3c603549676.html?mobile_touch=true

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't the bolded also the premise for Bo's D?

Very slowly the pass defense is getting better. it is never going to be great this year, it just isn't. Next year you hope it is average and continue to play good run defense. For this year I will take 300 yards passing and 65 yards rushing a game for the rest of the year and take my chances.

• Fire 4

Didn't the DBs in the previous defense always keep a hand on the reciever? I noticed yesterday we weren't doing that and so when our DB turns to look for the ball it's easier for him to lose his man.

Our DBs turned to look for a ball? Not sure you were watching the Husker game if you saw that...

I have noticed them looking back more often, but still not enough. I hate the face guarding technique.