Falling Standards

I don't think people are settling for MR, yet anyway. I just think some are still hopeful that he can get things turned around, do better than his predecessor (not this year obviously), and do it without being an insufferable jerk.

I'm still hoping MR gets the job done, but yeah, things haven't started off for him the way I had hoped and I've had to back off my expectations some. Not a huge fan of this offensive style and really not a fan of the pass coverage or some of the clock management, play calling and penalty issues. But I'd still love for him to get it working right. I'm not settling, just trying to be patient and give things enough time to be absolutely sure one way or the other. There will be plenty of time to call for heads if that becomes necessary. I just can't see any point in starting down that path yet because 1- Eichorst won't be making any change before the end of next season at the soonest. 2- I like the guy and want to give him every opportunity to prove his way can work. Right now I have my reservations but if he works to change some things, unlike his predecessor, things could work out. Anyway for me it's about being patient, not settling.

• Fire 2

Remember when we were worried about the "good" team we were to play after Minnesota (or any other lesser conference opponent), instead of worrying if we were going to beat them. Now it's a sense of relief beating a team, that once upon a time this program would have trounced 42-10, 35-7, etc...

Was it a sense of entitlement? maybe? Was it a higher standard because of the tradition? possibly?

The fact that Minnesota use to be a lesser opponent is completely irrelevant to what they are now. They were a team that lost to #4 TCU and their vaunted offense by only 6 points. Not saying TCU played their best game but how do you think we would have fared in that game week one or really any of the last couple years? Minnesota has a decent program now and really the entire landscape of college football has changed and you're just gonna have to get use to that. In fact this was one of the better wins we've had in the last three years and I'm not embarrassed to say that.

This is Riley's first year and he, as well as the rest of the team, are still figuring some things out and this week looked like they may finally be on to something that could last beyond this one season. If this was Riley's third year and we were in this position then sure go ahead and rant, but come on man have a little fun it's football.

• Fire 2

"Settling for Riley"?

After seven games ... I've "settled in" that Riley is the coach. I was not calling for his head after four straight losses and I'm not singing his praises after beating a "below average" Gopher team.

I wish our fan base could let him get in a season of work and then we can evaluate and see how he adjusted and what issues he worked through.

I'm 51, so I realize that it takes time to implement changes in a major college football program sometimes. If that means I've "settled" then okay.

I gave Bo seven years. Can a fan ask for more then 7 games for Riley without that being "settling for Riley"? No offense intended to walkasalone, my comment is a general comment to every fan.

• Fire 3

Yeah, to echo what has been said -- this is a team that has beat Nebraska the last two years, coached by a well-respected man that many wanted for the Nebraska job.

This was far, far, far from a hugely impressive win. It's the type of win we'd like to see Nebraska put on teams like Minnesota with regularity. In a season that got off to a bumpy start and included a loss to Illinois, hell yeah we're going to celebrate the team getting back on track.

• Fire 2

College football is different these days. Even under Callahan, NU could count on a win against Baylor. Lately, Baylor is a legitimate top-5 team year in and year out. Hell, Texas(!) is the worst Power 5 team in the state, behind Baylor, TCU, A&M, and Tech. And it's been that way for the last five years. Simply put, there is a lot more parity in college football these days.

Minnesota is a legitimate team that many picked to win the division. They have a solid coach and some good players. It shouldn't and won't define the season, but it's a nice K State-level win for a belleaguered team looking to find its identity.

• Fire 2

I think that after 14 years of mediocrity the acceptance level has changed. We now look for "moral" victories as a sign of improvement. I am glad we won. Its a step in the right direction. Does it mean we have turned the corner? Who knows.

If you want to look at the success of another first year coach, check out Narduzzi at Pitt. 5-1 (not the toughest schedule), but their only loss to Iowa. On a field goal. To lazy to post the stats, but their pass D is in the top 7 in all categories, total D is up to 39. It also appears that his "quarters" coverage is still based upon aggressive CB play in press coverage. To paraphrase a player, "the receiver has so many options on routes, we play physical it limits the routes.

Still not sold on the staff. I feel its a case of Cally and Coz, Frank and Craig, Bo and Paps............ Maybe right HC, but the staff might be his undoing.......

• Fire 6

I was impressed by what MR said in the press conference yesterday. Something to the effect of "When adversity comes staring you in the face, don't get down on yourself and your teammates. Keep working to get better. Now that we've had success and won a game it isn't time to slack off" He is teaching them to be men and showing them great life lessons.

Interpret this how you want, this is just what I see...

Remember when we were worried about the "good" team we were to play after Minnesota (or any other lesser conference opponent), instead of worrying if we were going to beat them. Now it's a sense of relief beating a team, that once upon a time this program would have trounced 42-10, 35-7, etc...

Was it a sense of entitlement? maybe? Was it a higher standard because of the tradition? possibly?

I think many fans are settling for Riley, because he's not his predecessor. I see a lot folks are seeing, "glimpses of hope" from this past weekends win. Should we be searching for glimpses of hope against a team that this program has crushed for many years? Many of us settled for Bo for many years, myself included, because he wasn't Callahan.

My enthusiasm hasn't been this nonexistent since Callahan. The way the games are coached, the fact that it's essentially taken 7 games to find a running game, does't speak well for the current regime.

I just hope things get better, because right now, it's kinda sh*tty to watch this...

This +1,000. It's why I suggested the sunshine pumpers and the folks that want to give Riley 3-4 years are only dragging this program down--they're settling for mediocrity and a coaching staff that took seven games to figure out what fans figured out after the BYU game.

I was all in favor of getting rid of Bo--but not for settling for a bargain-bin Dr. Tom. Nebraska has the resources and the money coming into the program--we shouldn't have settled for Riley, and neither should the fans...

I think that after 14 years of mediocrity the acceptance level has changed. We now look for "moral" victories as a sign of improvement. I am glad we won. Its a step in the right direction. Does it mean we have turned the corner? Who knows.

If you want to look at the success of another first year coach, check out Narduzzi at Pitt. 5-1 (not the toughest schedule), but their only loss to Iowa. On a field goal. To lazy to post the stats, but their pass D is in the top 7 in all categories, total D is up to 39. It also appears that his "quarters" coverage is still based upon aggressive CB play in press coverage. To paraphrase a player, "the receiver has so many options on routes, we play physical it limits the routes.

Still not sold on the staff. I feel its a case of Cally and Coz, Frank and Craig, Bo and Paps............ Maybe right HC, but the staff might be his undoing.......

Agreed. Honestly, Riley should be "asked" at the end of this season to jettison Banker, the DB coach, and possibly Langsdorf, depending on if he can figure out that they need to shift their offensive philosophy to a run-first offense to not only best use the talent on hand, but to deal with the geographic reality of where and who they play.

And if Riley can't/won't, then we'll have definite confirmation that this is Callahan 2.0, and this whole era is going to be one long, unfunny version of Groundhog Day.

• Fire 1

I came to terms with the fact that this is no longer 1994 a long time ago. you would do your self favor to stop holding todays team to the standard set by one of the best squads in CFB history. just sayin....we won the friggin game on the road vs a team that beat us the last few years....baby steps my friend.