JUCO S Markell Simmons [TCU - Signed LOI]

Mavric

I was curious, so I did some research.

Michigan has 23 recruits committed.

15 of those 23 (65%) are Midwest/Northeast kids - I considered those states to be Colorado, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.

Of the remaining 8 not from that region, only 2 are 4* or higher.

Ohio St. has 17 recruits committed.

13 of those 17 (76%) are from Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Maryland.

Nebraska, on the other hand, has 15 recruits committed.

6 of those 15 (40%) are from Florida or California. If you want to include Missouri as "southern" (at least, not as cold) and coastal Washington, that total goes up to 9 of our 15 (60%).

We've been forced out of the top recruits in the Midwest, so we start fighting for kids on the coast. Naturally, our competition for those schools are the Pac-12 and SEC schools, who have no inclination to hold back on blasting us for the cold.

Nice work. Seems to be another study that supports the 500-mile radius argument. I'm not saying we can get by without the sunbelt kids, we need them, too. But we definitely need to have better returns on the SD, CO, KS, MO, OK, IA, MN, IL kids. (and NE). I think this staff is starting to understand that, but the proof is in the pudding.

If we have to scramble at the end for some players already committed to other schools, I hope they are from our competitors in the region. Its still not too late to get Fant back.

I was pretty surprised by what I found when I started doing the research, to be honest. For all of our concern about the 500-mile radius, the lack of talent we pull from Illinois and Indiana (I know, Indiana is ~50-100 miles over the 500 mile limit) is a little frustrating. The problem is that the schools we mentioned (Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St.) are all within that 500 mile range themselves in those states, so they have a better "close-to-home" pitch than we do.

You will also see that there is more football talent in Michigan, Ohio & Illinois than there is in Nebraska, South Dakota, Colorado, Kansas & Iowa. I think we need to work in the east, like TO used to.

15 of those 23 (65%) are Midwest/Northeast kids - I considered those states to be Colorado, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.

6 of those 15 (40%) are from Florida or California. If you want to include Missouri as "southern" (at least, not as cold) and coastal Washington, that total goes up to 9 of our 15 (60%).

We've been forced out of the top recruits in the Midwest, so we start fighting for kids on the coast. Naturally, our competition for those schools are the Pac-12 and SEC schools, who have no inclination to hold back on blasting us for the cold.

Nice work. Seems to be another study that supports the 500-mile radius argument. I'm not saying we can get by without the sunbelt kids, we need them, too. But we definitely need to have better returns on the SD, CO, KS, MO, OK, IA, MN, IL kids. (and NE). I think this staff is starting to understand that, but the proof is in the pudding.

If we have to scramble at the end for some players already committed to other schools, I hope they are from our competitors in the region. Its still not too late to get Fant back.

I was pretty surprised by what I found when I started doing the research, to be honest. For all of our concern about the 500-mile radius, the lack of talent we pull from Illinois and Indiana (I know, Indiana is ~50-100 miles over the 500 mile limit) is a little frustrating. The problem is that the schools we mentioned (Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St.) are all within that 500 mile range themselves in those states, so they have a better "close-to-home" pitch than we do.

You will also see that there is more football talent in Michigan, Ohio & Illinois than there is in Nebraska, South Dakota, Colorado, Kansas & Iowa. I think we need to work in the east, like TO used to.

I agree with you on the low population areas, but we still could be squeezing more talent out of the Front Range (Denver), Kansas City, Oklahoma City, St Louis, Minneapolis, and Chigago better. IMO there are a good number of elite athletes coming out of those metro areas on a yearly basis. Chigago is a straight shot on I-80, and close enough for the proximity arguement.

I agree with you on the low population areas, but we still could be squeezing more talent out of the Front Range (Denver), Kansas City, Oklahoma City, St Louis, Minneapolis, and Chigago better. IMO there are a good number of elite athletes coming out of those metro areas on a yearly basis. Chigago is a straight shot on I-80, and close enough for the proximity arguement.

Close enough, but not closer than Michigans/Ohio State.

I-80 doesn't actually go to Chicago. Maybe thats what has been the downfall of the recruiting in Chicago. The coaches get on I-80 and can't ever find Chicago.

• Fire 1

Close enough, but not closer than Michigans/Ohio State.

So what? Its a hell of a lot closer to us than most of the places we recruit. Do you think we should just give up on getting top recruits from areas that are close to elite programs?

Maybe that's why Pelini "forgot" to recruit Oklahoma.

Part of that may well have been a bit of a gentleman's agreement once we left the Big 12 to not mess with Stoops's recruits. Gotta look out for the ole Youngstown boys, after all.

Outside of that, I don't know how viable Oklahoma could be for us anyway. We'd be at least third fiddle behind OU and OSU, and you've got to figure a lot of those kids would rather go play for UT or some other Texas school than NU. We were quite fortunate to land Barnett last year.

• 1 month later...