Pelini vs Riley

ndobney

Pelini's firing was far overdue, and it wasn't *just* about on field performance.

If Riley turns this program into a Top 15 team in year 2 or year 3, nobody remembers this year. Similarly, if he had somehow escaped all those close games to turn in a 10-win year 1, and craps the bed in year 3, nobody will care.

Programs take some time to be defined under a coach. Once that time is given, they have to produce fairly consistently, on and off the field.

• Fire 2

Pelini's firing was far overdue, and it wasn't *just* about on field performance.

If Riley turns this program into a Top 15 team in year 2 or year 3, nobody remembers this year. Similarly, if he had somehow escaped all those close games to turn in a 10-win year 1, and craps the bed in year 3, nobody will care.

Programs take some time to be defined under a coach. Once that time is given, they have to produce fairly consistently, on and off the field.

I don't know if I agree with that, cause I don't think the fans will ever forget a coach missing a bowl game.

Pelini's firing had almost nothing to do with his record and almost everything to do with the severe hatred for his job that he seemed to develop the longer he was here. It wasn't healthy for either party to be in that relationship anymore, and that is okay. If Pelini had Riley's personality I'd be willing to say he would still be here.

Riley seems completely inept. There should be staff changes made at the end of the season- again I am going to continue to beat the Todd Orlando drum for DC- but there won't be changes. Nebraska can afford any real coach they want for the most part, the money is there. The biggest issue isn't that they chose an out of the box candidate, it's that they chose an out of the box candidate that has proven to be mediocre over an extremely large sample size and has a philosophy on football that does not mesh with how Nebraskans believe the game should be played.

The man for this job is Tom Herman. His emphasis on developing a strong running game while playing to Greg Ward Jr's strengths on offense is simply amazing. If we are lucky enough to have Herman remain at Houston for another 2 years (allowing Riley to have 3 seasons) and Riley still hasn't produced, I don't see how Nebraska won't make him an offer. To think that we could've had an ace recruiter in the south on this staff in Ed Oregeron and instead we chose Mark effing Banker and Hank effing Hughes is laughable. I'm a UConn fan and I love Hughes but to think that he would bring more to Nebraska than a coach like Oregeron is absolutely ridiculous.

I will give Riley credit for Trent Bray. Pay that man.

• Fire 4

Pelini's firing had almost nothing to do with his record and almost everything to do with the severe hatred for his job that he seemed to develop the longer he was here. It wasn't healthy for either party to be in that relationship anymore, and that is okay. If Pelini had Riley's personality I'd be willing to say he would still be here.

Riley seems completely inept. There should be staff changes made at the end of the season- again I am going to continue to beat the Todd Orlando drum for DC- but there won't be changes. Nebraska can afford any real coach they want for the most part, the money is there. The biggest issue isn't that they chose an out of the box candidate, it's that they chose an out of the box candidate that has proven to be mediocre over an extremely large sample size and has a philosophy on football that does not mesh with how Nebraskans believe the game should be played.

The man for this job is Tom Herman. His emphasis on developing a strong running game while playing to Greg Ward Jr's strengths on offense is simply amazing. If we are lucky enough to have Herman remain at Houston for another 2 years (allowing Riley to have 3 seasons) and Riley still hasn't produced, I don't see how Nebraska won't make him an offer. To think that we could've had an ace recruiter in the south on this staff in Ed Oregeron and instead we chose Mark effing Banker and Hank effing Hughes is laughable. I'm a UConn fan and I love Hughes but to think that he would bring more to Nebraska than a coach like Oregeron is absolutely ridiculous.

ok then who would you rather have kept Pelini or Eichorst and Pearlman?

I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know one thing with 100% certainty: neither Pelini nor Riley are the answer for righting this program.

I agree...Pelini should have been fired after the 2012 debacle vs Wisconsin, and Riley is simply not the right answer to turn this program around. I honestly think that, had Pelini's personality not been such a strong factor in his firing, we may not have focued on finding the nicest guy out there to take over. It's like Eichorst was so focused on finding the anti-Bo that he forgot to find a good head coach.

• Fire 1

I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know one thing with 100% certainty: neither Pelini nor Riley are the answer for righting this program.

I agree...Pelini should have been fired after the 2012 debacle vs Wisconsin, and Riley is simply not the right answer to turn this program around. I honestly think that, had Pelini's personality not been such a strong factor in his firing, we may not have focued on finding the nicest guy out there to take over. It's like Eichorst was so focused on finding the anti-Bo that he forgot to find a good head coach.

Maybe its this administration that we can't win with.

• Fire 4

ok then who would you rather have kept Pelini or Eichorst and Pearlman?

I don't want any of them. I explicitly said it was time for Bo to go. As much good as he did for Nebraska in his first 3 years he clearly developed a high level of frustration with both the state and university- presumably Eichorst played a major role in this as Bo is on tape having said as much.

The issue isn't that they went outside the box to hire their coach. The issue is that instead of looking for a proven winner the AD chose the nicest guy in CFB and completely ignored his record as a coach. If you were going to take a chance on a guy, take a chance on a young assistant a la Herman, Chad Morris, Kirby Smart, Scott Frost, etc. Even if Riley would've been told he can't bring his gang of friends with him this would've been at least more tolerable. I respect his loyalty to his staff but this is a business, if you don't produce you will be let go.

Who is more deserving to get fired? PElini getting fired when he did or Riley right now after the Northwestern loss?

This doesn't matter...

Pelini was relieved of duty less than a year ago. Is there any point comparing the two, when the former has no bearing on what's happening now?

• Fire 2

Agree. Pelini should have been fired after 2012, and again after 2013. It made little sense he was fired after 2014, except that it was one year clearer the team would never get any better.

Riley doesn't deserve to be fired. He may not have been the best choice for Nebraska, but he was the choice our AD made. So now we will live with him for a minimum of three or four years and hope that he can be successful. In my opinion, it has less to do with system (any system can work here) and more to do with how well he and his staff can recruit and how objectively Riley evaluates his assistants and coordinators.

• Fire 2