Pelini vs Riley

ndobney

Imagine if Bo had been fired in 2013 as he so thoroughly deserved.

Whoever the new hire would have been would have had 2014 to start with -- Kenny, Ameer, and RG4 -- another full recruiting class, and this year would be year 2 of new systems. Maybe 2014 would have still been a struggle in transition, but what did we accomplish anyway? 3rd place in the B1G West? Meh.

That was a setback for the program, to wait another year. IMO. But I'm not sure we had a choice.

• Fire 2

In a head to head fight, Pellini hands down. He's younger and meaner.

The fact that few want our old coaches when we let them go is telling. Bo won the lottery here and it will take years if ever before a major school would touch him.

Riley will keep his staff through next year. If he has similar results and doesn't fire some, he should be given the ultimatum.

Riley will keep his staff through next year. If he has similar results and doesn't fire some, he should be given the ultimatum.

I'm not a huge fan of ultimatums -- even to Bo. But, Bo after year 3 did call his shot with a major change in assistants. And every year thereafter, he called his shot again by either not changing, or with his further replacement hires.

I think that's a good way to go. You let a coach live or die by his own choices. Certainly Riley will be making his own, and be judged by them in the future.

If you keep having to tell the head guy to change his guys, maybe it's something else that needs changing.

• Fire 2

Imagine if Bo had been fired in 2013 as he so thoroughly deserved.

Whoever the new hire would have been would have had 2014 to start with -- Kenny, Ameer, and RG4 -- another full recruiting class, and this year would be year 2 of new systems. Maybe 2014 would have still been a struggle in transition, but what did we accomplish anyway? 3rd place in the B1G West? Meh.

That was a setback for the program, to wait another year. IMO. But I'm not sure we had a choice.

Agreed. I think the firing after 2013 would have been a lot more understandable, too, on the heels of his behavior during that Iowa game. Hell, for most of the talking heads around college football, it was not a question of "if" but "when" we would fire Bo. And then Eichorst came out in support and it was a disaster.

Anyway, I agree it's not a Bo v. Riley thing. I think Bo is a pretty low-class human being and am VERY glad he's gone. I was very, very underwhelmed when we named Riley as the new head coach, but hoped he'd surround himself with a cast of big-time assistants. Even as OSU re-tread after OSU re-tread came onboard, I was still hopeful that maybe we were wrong about Banker and Hank Hughes and that things would be good here. Looks like I was wrong.

I'm not a huge fan of ultimatums -- even to Bo. But, Bo after year 3 did call his shot with a major change in assistants. And every year thereafter, he called his shot again by either not changing, or with his further replacement hires.

I think that's a good way to go. You let a coach live or die by his own choices. Certainly Riley will be making his own, and be judged by them in the future.

If you keep having to tell the head guy to change his guys, maybe it's something else that needs changing.

Micromanagement never works.

• Fire 1

Who is more deserving to get fired? PElini getting fired when he did or Riley right now after the Northwestern loss?R

Riley was a bad hire - pure and simple. What now Cornhusker nation? I say he gets 3 years and then if his

system doesn't work - goodbye. The AD is an idiot - Bo's was right. New Assistant Coaches need to be hired,

and they don't need to come from Oregon State. Black shirts are a joke - worse pass D ever...

Pelini's firing had almost nothing to do with his record and almost everything to do with the severe hatred for his job that he seemed to develop the longer he was here. It wasn't healthy for either party to be in that relationship anymore, and that is okay. If Pelini had Riley's personality I'd be willing to say he would still be here.

Riley seems completely inept. There should be staff changes made at the end of the season- again I am going to continue to beat the Todd Orlando drum for DC- but there won't be changes. Nebraska can afford any real coach they want for the most part, the money is there. The biggest issue isn't that they chose an out of the box candidate, it's that they chose an out of the box candidate that has proven to be mediocre over an extremely large sample size and has a philosophy on football that does not mesh with how Nebraskans believe the game should be played.

The man for this job is Tom Herman. His emphasis on developing a strong running game while playing to Greg Ward Jr's strengths on offense is simply amazing. If we are lucky enough to have Herman remain at Houston for another 2 years (allowing Riley to have 3 seasons) and Riley still hasn't produced, I don't see how Nebraska won't make him an offer. To think that we could've had an ace recruiter in the south on this staff in Ed Oregeron and instead we chose Mark effing Banker and Hank effing Hughes is laughable. I'm a UConn fan and I love Hughes but to think that he would bring more to Nebraska than a coach like Oregeron is absolutely ridiculous.

I will give Riley credit for Trent Bray. Pay that man.

How can we get seaofred92 to take over of Eichorst?

I wanted Bo gone a couple years sooner. Bo made changes, maybe because he never wanted Watson, but Bo even gave in and worked to improve special teams. I think losing Carl and Marvin hurt Bo a lot. I was very irritated at Bo's contract exensions. If MR gets a contract extension after this year we are in deep trouble.

I think I heard something about Jamrog being a big part of the STs turnaround last year. Maybe he was some kind of STs whiz that somehow managed to have a coaching effect on the team. Kind of interesting. I'd expected better from the STs this year. I don't mind an STs coach at all -- but please, please be a solid one. Let's just say the jury's out on this one, but the same could be said for everybody!

Regarding contract extensions, annual +1 year is Standard Operating Procedure. It will never stop a coach from being fired. I'm not sure if they start doing it in year 1 or not, but irrespective of how you feel about Riley (or felt about Bo) it's something where Nebraska probably sticks with SOP. And that's fair.

I think I heard something about Jamrog being a big part of the STs turnaround last year. Maybe he was some kind of STs whiz that somehow managed to have a coaching effect on the team. Kind of interesting. I'd expected better from the STs this year. I don't mind an STs coach at all -- but please, please be a solid one. Let's just say the jury's out on this one, but the same could be said for everybody!

Regarding contract extensions, annual +1 year is Standard Operating Procedure. It will never stop a coach from being fired. I'm not sure if they start doing it in year 1 or not, but irrespective of how you feel about Riley (or felt about Bo) it's something where Nebraska probably sticks with SOP. And that's fair.

If MR's contract is not extended it is less costly to get rid of him. The best part is that there is an excuse. At the end of his current contract he is in retirement age. Simply tell recruits he was given 5 years to fix the program and then hand it over.