Pelini vs Riley

ndobney

5 losses by 13 points. all in the last few seconds/minutes of the game.

We have yet to be dominated in a game like we were in several losses while Pelini was at NU. This is a young team that will benefit from these close games and will have a lot of experience and hunger in the future.

We have yet to play an opponent of the caliber that dominated Pelini.

Wisconsin. Oh and Minnesota beat Nebraska the past two years as well.

Both of those teams are much worse than they were the last two years.

Serious question . . . are you really still holding out hope that Riley can turn things around?

What good does hand-wringing do me? That's certainly not fun, nor how I want to spend my Saturday's--being in a constant state of pissed off. Yes, I am still holding out the hope that Riley can turn things around and I will continue to do so until he no longer coaches here, no matter how short or long his time at Nebraska is.

I don't know how many times I have to say that I've been disappointed with how the team's performed this year and how (record-wise) it's hard to imagine a team not winning 9, 10 games after they had done so the previous 7 years. I'm not sure if Mike Riley will be the guy for Nebraska, but I'm going to continue to hope every week that both the team and the staff start taking steps towards the national stage.

It's your choice to hand-wring and gloom and doom about the program. That's fine.

Bo Pelini is 3-4 at Youngstown State right now. Looks like he's got his own transition struggles.

How could somebody not be hoping Riley turns things around? Of course Husker fans hope he does. He's the head coach of the football team we root for. Until the day when he's not the HC, then hell yes I'm hoping they get it turned around.

I didn't ask if he hoped for anything. I hope I win the lottery. But I certainly don't expect to.

If you really think Riley is going to turn anything around, that's is some damn fine blind optimism.

We have yet to be dominated in a game like we were in several losses while Pelini was at NU. This is a young team that will benefit from these close games and will have a lot of experience and hunger in the future.

Serious question . . . are you really still holding out hope that Riley can turn things around?

giphy.gif

Pelini's firing was far overdue, and it wasn't *just* about on field performance.

If Riley turns this program into a Top 15 team in year 2 or year 3, nobody remembers this year. Similarly, if he had somehow escaped all those close games to turn in a 10-win year 1, and craps the bed in year 3, nobody will care.

Programs take some time to be defined under a coach. Once that time is given, they have to produce fairly consistently, on and off the field.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry xmas.

Here's one that's a lot more believable: If Pelini were still here we would be 7-0. The only thing that kept games close this year was our players. The poor coaching decisions are so obvious you have to be blind to not see them.

Riley won't be turning any team into a top 15 team. I'm sorry. He and his staff are simply in over their heads. They are sub-mediocre coaches. There is no switch that can be flipped to suddenly make them understand how to properly coach football.

Bo lost his first game to Northwestern, too. Bo also lost to Wisconsin by about 120 points (including one to a 7 and god damn 6 Wisconsin team).

Bo would most certainly not be 7-0 if he were here. Probably better than 3-5, but definitely not 7-0. Also, if Bo were still here we'd be running the same system and there'd be less of these "growing pains".

But seriously, why the f#*k do we give a single sh#t about Pelini?

Which game would we have lost if Pelini was still here?

Pelini's firing was far overdue, and it wasn't *just* about on field performance.

If Riley turns this program into a Top 15 team in year 2 or year 3, nobody remembers this year. Similarly, if he had somehow escaped all those close games to turn in a 10-win year 1, and craps the bed in year 3, nobody will care.

Programs take some time to be defined under a coach. Once that time is given, they have to produce fairly consistently, on and off the field.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry xmas.

Here's one that's a lot more believable: If Pelini were still here we would be 7-0. The only thing that kept games close this year was our players. The poor coaching decisions are so obvious you have to be blind to not see them.

Riley won't be turning any team into a top 15 team. I'm sorry. He and his staff are simply in over their heads. They are sub-mediocre coaches. There is no switch that can be flipped to suddenly make them understand how to properly coach football.

Bo lost his first game to Northwestern, too. Bo also lost to Wisconsin by about 120 points (including one to a 7 and god damn 6 Wisconsin team).

Bo would most certainly not be 7-0 if he were here. Probably better than 3-5, but definitely not 7-0. Also, if Bo were still here we'd be running the same system and there'd be less of these "growing pains".

But seriously, why the f#*k do we give a single sh#t about Pelini?

Which game would we have lost if Pelini was still here?

Well...let's see:

1) No Abdullah to boast a significant running attack.

2) Same TA with a Tim Beck handcuffed passing scheme forcing passes to Jordan Westerkamp because that was the only WR on our team.

3) An obsolete TE

4) A defensive front that plays paddy-cake and doesn't stuff the run.

5) A stingy secondary.

We would've lost to:

1) BYU or Miami

2) Wisconsin or Minnesota

I'm guessing we certainly wouldn't have lost to Illinois and probably wouldn't have lost to Northwestern. So I'm guessing we'd probably be 6-2.

But again, why the f#*k do we give a single sh#t about Pelini. As True mentioned, YSU is 3-4 and fresh off a loss to Southern Illinois--who (eek) is not even in the Top 25 of FCS teams whereas YSU was ranked #16 (gee doesn't that sound familiar?)

• Fire 1

There is also a tendency to compare Riley's Nebraska career to Pelini's full Nebraska career, however nobody seems to compare their first years.

There were big losses in Pelini's first year (notably Missouri at home under the lights) but there were also far more reasons for hope and encouragement than there were for despair. The team clearly had fight every week and had a purpose on both offense and defense, while also progressing mightily throughout the year. Remember this was a team that beat Clemson in the Gator Bowl in Dabo Swinney's first year there, and Pelini stood on the stage at the Gator Bowl and made the famous "Nebraska is back and were here to stay" announcement.

This season feels much closer to Callahan's first/last year than it does Pelini's first year. The team is close in all of the games they play, but it doesn't feel like there is a purpose or reason for anything that is happening. I want Riley to succeed because it means Nebraska succeeds but when people were asking for change in the head coaching position at Nebraska they wanted a team that would 1. Win and 2. Not get blown out. This staff seems to have brought a 1. Not get blown out 2. Win mentality.

I would've loved to see Pelini get a shot with the weakened roster depth he had left so we could:

- see a Nebraska offense without Ameer and featuring Tim Beck's passing "attack"

- a Nebraska pass rush without Bray's LBs or Randy Gregory

- hear about how we just need a few more recruiting classes to get back in shape

- probably win 8-9 games and finish on the cusp of the Top 25 again, with a future outlook of treading water.

...Not. I would not have loved to see any of that.

• Fire 2

There is nothing to turn around this season. The only thing this team can focus on is building for next year. I would like to see the coaches reform their running scheme on offense, secondary on defense, and return coverage on special team. However, I think we have seen this story play out too many times in the past 15 years to hold our breath expecting a coaching staff to willingly change their stripes...or stride?...maybe strife...whichever.

"I didn't ask if he hoped that Riley will turn things around."

Yes you did.

Bo would have been either 6-1 or 7-0 with this team. It's amazing the revisionist history that people do to defend their perception. Most thought this team had talent (certainly better then most teams we will face) and schedule (very easy) to do well. Instead, we are possibly fighting not to be in LAST place in our division next week when we play Purdue.

I would've loved to see Pelini get a shot with the weakened roster depth he had left so we could:

- see a Nebraska offense without Ameer and featuring Tim Beck's passing "attack"

- a Nebraska pass rush without Bray's LBs or Randy Gregory

- hear about how we just need a few more recruiting classes to get back in shape

- probably win 8-9 games and finish on the cusp of the Top 25 again, with a future outlook of treading water.

...Not. I would not have loved to see any of that.

I dont think we would of lost Randy Gregory under Bo I think he would of stayed.

One coach had 9 wins or more, one coach may give us 9 losses.

Debating Riley v. Bo is pointless we got rid of Bo he is gone he is not coming back he did not leave to get a pack of cigs hes gone, hes done Let it Bo.

MR is no Bo, in positive ways and negative.

My brother in law coaches kids and played college football, he called this season at the start 4 or 5 wins best.

He has looked at MR history his hires and this crap will continue.