Eichorst Rant

Is Trev Alberts ready to take over in Lincoln? Will he be ready if the new chancellor ditches Eichorst in a year or 2?

I've seen this idea brought up a couple different places. Can someone tell my why Trev Alberts would be qualified to be an AD at Nebraska? And "he played at Nebraska" doesn't count.

I don't think Riley should be fired not should this hired be considered "bad" yet. Riley came into a very toxic environment and has brought an entirely new system in. I figured this year would be tough and I figured this would take more than a year to fix some of the problems the program had developed under Pelini. While I'm not happy with the results so far I am quite optimistic that Riley can win at Nebraska.

As far as the AD, I think you have to look at the entire athletic program as a whole while also giving Riley more than a year (half season) to determine the quality of the hire.

Bullcrap. If Riley and his staff exercised even a bit of coaching competence and ground out half of the very winnable games that NU has lost, there would be no crisis in confidence.

The toxicity is a result of players knowing their coaches have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against awful competition who should have been out of the game by the third quarter.

As far as the rest of the program, this AD has done nothing to override the cluster that he's created in football.

• Fire 2

Is Trev Alberts ready to take over in Lincoln? Will he be ready if the new chancellor ditches Eichorst in a year or 2?

I've seen this idea brought up a couple different places. Can someone tell my why Trev Alberts would be qualified to be an AD at Nebraska? And "he played at Nebraska" doesn't count.

How long has he been an AD at UNO? I honestly don't know.

All I know is that the next guy that's AD needs to understand coaching. I mean really understand it.

most fans here think the ad and president are already trying to sabotage football, just as well get a guy who outright ended a program.

I think the OP criticized the Reily hire saying that it should have been someone with Nebraska ties.

I can't think of anyone else that fits that desciption so I asked if Trev would/could/should get looked at. I don't know if he can or not.

most fans here think the ad and president are already trying to sabotage football, just as well get a guy who outright ended a program.

Ummm....no.....most fans do not believe the AD and President are trying to sabotage the football program.

There are some message board whiny fans who believe this. Most fans do not.

• Fire 1

The toxicity is a result of players knowing their coaches have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against awful competition who should have been out of the game by the third quarter.

Any actual proof of this? You are saying this like it is gospel and I've yet to see anyone give proof.

I've watched every game this year and I haven't once though that the team quit or wasn't giving 100% effort at any time. If anything I find the team is much more mature this year than last year.

Also these quotes also don't show a team that has "quit" Anyone claiming this team has quit on each other or the coaching staff is basing on nothing more than speculation, not facts.

"Football is a crazy game. Lots of ups and downs. It's kind of a roller coaster ride and we're on it right now in full force, but we'll be OK. We have great coaches here, great team, great players and they know what's important and they're mature guys. We're all mature, and we'll be OK. We'll stay together, we'll keep this thing going, we'll stay positive, we'll get back and have a great week at practice and get ready for Purdue." - Jordan Westerkamp

""You've got to have the right attitude. Sometimes it's not going as well as we want it to go, but we've just got to make sure we keep grinding. We can either give up or we can keep grinding this season out and keep working together because, at the end of the day, we've got seniors on this team that this is their last year. We don't want to give up on them just like they're not giving up on us. They want to go out the right way. We wantthem to go out the right way. We play for these seniors. No matter the results, we want to fight to the end. No matter if we're on the sidelines

watching or we're on the field trying to make plays for them." - Tommy Armstrong

"I think energy was good. This group is incredibly resilient and guys kept their foot on the pedal, they played four quarters of hard football." - Jack Gangwish

I never said these kids quit or aren't showing effort. I believe they are and am tired of the player blaming that's going on to justify (a) people's belief in a .500 coach, and (b) people's belief that we should have fired the last coach (because he's responsible for the negative attitude).

This team plays extremely hard. They are just put in terrible positions by the staff, so of course there are plays where they are going to look like they aren't giving effort... it's tough to look "fast" when your system puts you out of position.

• Fire 1

I never said these kids quit or aren't showing effort. I believe they are and am tired of the player blaming that's going on to justify (a) people's belief in a .500 coach, and (b) people's belief that we should have fired the last coach (because he's responsible for the negative attitude).

This team plays extremely hard. They are just put in terrible positions by the staff, so of course there are plays where they are going to look like they aren't giving effort... it's tough to look "fast" when your system puts you out of position.

Laughable that you don't think Pelini is fostered a negative attitude to the team. "Us against the world" "F*** the fans. F*** all of them. They can kiss my a** when I leave" "The AD is a c***"

I've read you musings on another site (that you've been chased off of), so just for the record so all of huskerboard knows your M.O., can you tell us why you think that Bo shouldn't have been fired?

• Fire 2

I think a huge factor was that Pelini had created a very toxic environment.

From personal experience I coached a girl's basketball team (high school) and took over from a coach that was a hot head and when I took over the program was very toxic. The girls on the team had a negative attitude towards anyone that had the slightest criticism of them and many of the seniors thought that my coaching staff and I were "idiots" for not running a fast break offense (kicked 2 seniors off of the team due to attitude). While I did incorporate some fast break into my team I believed that slowing the game down (and running a variation of the Princeton offense) would do better in our district and how we matched up.

The first season we finished 6-21 and second to last in district. The next season once I was able to weed out the negative attitudes the younger girls became more receptive to the new system and our leaders were now juniors. We didn't change much from our gameplan but we improved to 18-9 the second year and won the district championship (and played a brutal schedule) we actually finished the season on a 15 game winning streak once we started playing schools our size. We didn't have more talent than the year before, the main difference was that we were able to get rid of the toxic environment.

When I look at guys who I would consider team leaders that are positive I look at Armstrong, Gangwish, Westerkamp, Gerry. Aside from Gangwish those guys are juniors and will be the senior leaders next year. Riley will have had a year to fully implement what he wants and get some of the talent in that he wants.

I could be wrong about it but I really feel as if the team was horribly toxic at the end of last year (which Pelini's team meeting confirmed to me). Takes a while to rid a program of that, certainly more than a year.

Not absolving Riley and staff of all fault as the blame certainly falls on them and they have made mistakes. I do believe this staff can definitely win here at Nebraska and we aren't far off at all right now.

Michigan State will be a HUGE test to see where we are as they will be the first true "power" team we play this year.

• Fire 5

Laughable that you don't think Pelini is fostered a negative attitude to the team. "Us against the world" "F*** the fans. F*** all of them. They can kiss my a** when I leave" "The AD is a c***"

I've read you musings on another site (that you've been chased off of), so just for the record so all of huskerboard knows your M.O., can you tell us why you think that Bo shouldn't have been fired?

1. Mainly because a guy whose opinion I trust implicitly when it comes to NU football would not have fired him.

2. Also because I recognize that winning at a program like NU requires a sheer force of will that is pretty rare in coaches. It sometimes brings along with it some unsavory aspects, which were actually quite tempered in 2013 and 2014 if anyone were honest. Things improve dramatically after 2010 in that regard, again, if people were honest.

3. I think Pelini gained valuable experience while maintaining a minimum threshold of performance that would have positioned him and his program to take a step up between years 8 and 12.

4. I didn't think that at the time there was a viable upgrade available (that has definitely borne itself out).

Feel free to disagree, but firing a coach is always a 2 step process, and I don't think that Step 2 was going to be up no matter who was hired among the realistically attainable candidates. If Step 2 is lateral, or worse, down, then you don't take Step 1. End of story.

Same will apply when it comes time to evaluate a change in the current HC.

• Fire 2

I think a huge factor was that Pelini had created a very toxic environment.

From personal experience I coached a girl's basketball team (high school) and took over from a coach that was a hot head and when I took over the program was very toxic. The girls on the team had a negative attitude towards anyone that had the slightest criticism of them and many of the seniors thought that my coaching staff and I were "idiots" for not running a fast break offense (kicked 2 seniors off of the team due to attitude). While I did incorporate some fast break into my team I believed that slowing the game down (and running a variation of the Princeton offense) would do better in our district and how we matched up.

The first season we finished 6-21 and second to last in district. The next season once I was able to weed out the negative attitudes the younger girls became more receptive to the new system and our leaders were now juniors. We didn't change much from our gameplan but we improved to 18-9 the second year and won the district championship (and played a brutal schedule) we actually finished the season on a 15 game winning streak once we started playing schools our size. We didn't have more talent than the year before, the main difference was that we were able to get rid of the toxic environment.

When I look at guys who I would consider team leaders that are positive I look at Armstrong, Gangwish, Westerkamp, Gerry. Aside from Gangwish those guys are juniors and will be the senior leaders next year. Riley will have had a year to fully implement what he wants and get some of the talent in that he wants.

I could be wrong about it but I really feel as if the team was horribly toxic at the end of last year (which Pelini's team meeting confirmed to me). Takes a while to rid a program of that, certainly more than a year.

Not absolving Riley and staff of all fault as the blame certainly falls on them and they have made mistakes. I do believe this staff can definitely win here at Nebraska and we aren't far off at all right now.

Michigan State will be a HUGE test to see where we are as they will be the first true "power" team we play this year.

Good post and how I believe the team might be right now.....unfortunately.

I love when the idiots come out of the woodwork calling for the AD like they have a clue about running an athletic program at a power 5 school.

It's like watching good will hunting. A janitor that knows complex math equations.

on a messageboard

under an anonymous profile

epic

But in "Good Will Hunting," wasn't the janitor really good at complex math equations? Or maybe I'm just missing your point. :lol:

It means, it's hollywood and movies about toilet scrubbers being geniuses are exactly that. Movies. Fictional stories. People that think they know how to run an athletic department or who is doing what, currently in the program, makes me point and laugh. None of you know what you're talking about. You have no idea how an athletic department is ran or what it would involve being in that position at a power 5 athletic program.

Stop pretending you know, because you don't. Calling for a firing you know absolutely nothing about makes husker fans everywhere appear stupid by association.

• Fire 3

I don't think Riley should be fired not should this hired be considered "bad" yet. Riley came into a very toxic environment and has brought an entirely new system in. I figured this year would be tough and I figured this would take more than a year to fix some of the problems the program had developed under Pelini. While I'm not happy with the results so far I am quite optimistic that Riley can win at Nebraska.

As far as the AD, I think you have to look at the entire athletic program as a whole while also giving Riley more than a year (half season) to determine the quality of the hire.

This is why the Riley hiring really struck me as odd when it was announced. Personally, I was and still am very excited about the Riley hiring. However, I do wonder why he took the job? He has been given ample opportunities over the years to leave Oregon State, but he stayed. He was offered much better jobs than here, yet he stayed at Oregon State. Riley has been around the block enough times to know exactly what he was getting himself into by taking this job. The one thing I still do not understand is why he took it. Going to a program underperforming in a recruiting hotbed like USC sounds a lot more enjoyable than coming to a program who just fired a perennial nine win coach where recruiting is difficult at best.

The only thing similar between Riley and Clownahan is the situations they inherited when they came here. Both came into a situation where there was a lot of questioning with regards if the previous coach should have been removed. Both came into a program that had won nine games the year before. Other than that, there really is no comparison.