One more thought about Mike Riley

ndobney

if you are loosing to many close games it is the coaches fault.

this x1000

No not this. Coaches do not miss field goals. And coaches don't throw interceptions in OT. Coaches don't even throw head scratching pick six that factor into a loss. In fact, coaches are not on the field to hold a defensive player's hand on a Hail Mary pass at the end of a game (past 4th grade). And when a coach calls a play tagged with "run", they sure as heck don't ask the QB to improvise and pass it to kill clock. :dumdum

Some of y'all just point to the coach for the won-loss record. Apparently when a play works, it's because of the players and when it doesn't, it's definitely something else...... :facepalm:

Perhaps the players have not performed well enough? Or maybe the plays attempted by the players have altered the outcome of a drive, a series, a pivotal defensive stop, etc.

No but coaches teach QB's how to run the play, coaches teach defenders proper positions on hail mary passes and coaches teach players how to stay calm. Most importantly coaches put kids on the field that understand what they teach. I'm not saying it is all the coaches, but with this many issues I'm putting most of it on them.

The mistakes the players are making are elementary type mistakes. They have been playing football long enough to know better. They are not in Jr. High anymore.

I have preached to my oldest son about not drinking for years now. I have told him what could potentially happen and the consequences that could follow. Here last week, he went with some friends to a volleyball game and came home a little woozy. We could tell he had been drinking and we were correct when he finally admitted it. Is it my wife's fault and mine that he went and drank anyways?

Actually, yes, to an extent -- if your consequences were more severe, he'd probably think twice about drinking. If he's not suffering any consequences for his actions, then why stop? Last year my stepson was caught smoking weed and I told him if I caught him again I'd be shipping him off to boot camp. Guess where he spent most of his summer? Hasn't smoked since.

Actually, yes, to an extent -- if your consequences were more severe, he'd probably think twice about drinking. If he's not suffering any consequences for his actions, then why stop? Last year my stepson was caught smoking weed and I told him if I caught him again I'd be shipping him off to boot camp. Guess where he spent most of his summer? Hasn't smoked since.

I sold his car and if he wants another one, he will have to buy it himself without our help. How is that for consequences. He bought the first one with our help and by working his ass off, now he will really have to work his ass off if he wants another one. We told him that is what would happen if he drank and I stuck to my word.

Maybe Riley needs to set some consequence if the players don't want to listen and play the way they are taught.

Sometimes consequences work wonders.

Sometimes they backfire completely.

Most of the time kids smoke and drink and test boundaries as part of a timeless ritual, hopefully surviving, growing up and laughing about their youthful indiscretions.

And sometimes parents who think their kids "haven't smoked since" are merely flattering themselves.

this x1000

No not this. Coaches do not miss field goals. And coaches don't throw interceptions in OT. Coaches don't even throw head scratching pick six that factor into a loss. In fact, coaches are not on the field to hold a defensive player's hand on a Hail Mary pass at the end of a game (past 4th grade). And when a coach calls a play tagged with "run", they sure as heck don't ask the QB to improvise and pass it to kill clock. :dumdum

Some of y'all just point to the coach for the won-loss record. Apparently when a play works, it's because of the players and when it doesn't, it's definitely something else...... :facepalm:

Perhaps the players have not performed well enough? Or maybe the plays attempted by the players have altered the outcome of a drive, a series, a pivotal defensive stop, etc.

I'll put 1.5 loses on the coaches end of things.

The Illinois loss IMO is completely on the way the game was called and on the crappy clock management at the end of the game. If the game is called to mirror the weather conditions with more of a running attack the game is most likely never in doubt. Even if it is still called the same way. Illinois should have got the ball back on their own 20 yard line with no TO and about 12 seconds left in the game. That was poor management.

I put about half the blame for the NW loss on the coaches. Again I think it was a poorly called offensive game plan. They abandoned the run way too early and start flinging the ball around. Even though the two previous games Michigan and Iowa ran for over 200 yards. MR and DL want to run the ball, but if it doesn't show results right away the abandon it quickly. The other half of this loss falls squarely on the players. Too many dropped passes. Turner giving up on a sure TD route all contribute to the loss. One bad decision by TA causes most likely a 10 point swing with his pick six that he throws. TA doesn't throw that ball the game is 31- 23 or at the very least 29-23.

Abandoned the run game to early........that seems to be the answer for all 5 losses by some fans. When your not gaining yards via the rush, you have got to try something else. When receivers drop balls on a very high rate, that doesn't mean the play call was bad, the player didn't step up and deliver.'

No matter the coach, the style or the players, these issues have been going on for years now. Ameer Abdullah and the combo of Randy Gregory last year made some plays. Ameer might go down as a Top 5 all time RB here. Randy Gregory, when he applied himself, was a very talented pass rusher, but he chose to only play hard when the lights were on and his draft stock might raise a little bit.

Ameer could gain 3 yard by himself if needed to keep a drive alive. Gregory could sack a QB when we needed that play to win a game.

This team doesn't even have anyone on the same talent level as either one of those. The former staff didn't leave enough talent and this group hasn't had enough time to establish any kind of recruiting chain. Not a fan of Riley, but also not a fan of firing him right now. That changes from game to game, but looking at the landscape right now, I don't see a miracle worker out there.

The coaching carousel is starting. Lets just see what, who, end up where this year. My only true concern is that Illinois and Minnesota find a good fit and become even better or at least solid. Illinois could become decent with Chicago near, just takes the right coach who can recruit.

Most of the time kids smoke and drink and test boundaries as part of a timeless ritual, hopefully surviving, growing up and laughing about their youthful indiscretions.

And sometimes parents who think their kids "haven't smoked since" are merely flattering themselves.

And sometimes outsiders have no clue what they're talking about. He undergoes random drug testing, and has passed every one. Try again.

I sold his car and if he wants another one, he will have to buy it himself without our help. How is that for consequences. He bought the first one with our help and by working his ass off, now he will really have to work his ass off if he wants another one. We told him that is what would happen if he drank and I stuck to my word.

Maybe Riley needs to set some consequence if the players don't want to listen and play the way they are taught.

Fair enough -- you didn't state that in your other post.

this x1000

No but coaches teach QB's how to run the play, coaches teach defenders proper positions on hail mary passes and coaches teach players how to stay calm. Most importantly coaches put kids on the field that understand what they teach. I'm not saying it is all the coaches, but with this many issues I'm putting most of it on them.

^^ he gets it...

Or.......?

Maybe you don't get it.

If you think Mike Riley and his coaches have come in and changed the way these juniors and seniors play the game, from their attitude/mentality, fundamentals, aggression and technique, all in 10 months? Then maybe you're missing the obvious.

Kalu, Dedrick Young, Chris Weber, Marcus Newby, Chris Jones, Freedom Akinmoladun all some of the youngest guys on the defense, and probably playing the best football of each position group. we are seeing out there.

Nick Gates has already earned the reputation as our best offensive linemen, he's a redshirt freshman. Stanley Morgan is coming along nicely. Alonzo Moore's improvement over one season is remarkable even as he's in his JR. season, Riley made it clear that he loves Alonzo Moore for a big reason. Says Moore is easy to teach and willing to learn. It's been the one guy I've heard Riley really go out of his way to display how much he respected that.

Now I'm not saying for sure, because I don't know, but is it possible that some of these younger guys are more apt to have success because it's easier to wash away the old schemes, the old techniques, and the old piss poor attitude of the former staff? It's really possible.

I'd believe that before I would believe that a bunch of new coaches came in and have complete ownership of every aspect of this JR. and SR. laden team all in 10 months of coaching football here.

The older guys on this team are ingrained with the things they've been taught and the way they learned them. Sometimes it takes longer to unlearn and break the old habits before you can become the player you need to be in a new system AND a new culture.

Young guys on this team have a leg up in that aspect, lucky for us, Bo didn't get a lot of younger guys involved too much. The stories about practice were that a lot of guys stood around. We know we didn't see a whole lot of depth established in games. So the instincts, both on and off the field, may not be so deeply lodged into their being.

Good for those guys.

They have less of the old "stench" to wash off. In my opinion, that's a good thing.

Or.......?

Maybe you don't get it.

If you think Mike Riley and his coaches have come in and changed the way these juniors and seniors play the game, from their attitude/mentality, fundamentals, aggression and technique, all in 10 months? Then maybe you're missing the obvious.

Kalu, Dedrick Young, Chris Weber, Marcus Newby, Chris Jones, Freedom Akinmoladun all some of the youngest guys on the defense, and probably playing the best football of each position group. we are seeing out there.

Nick Gates has already earned the reputation as our best offensive linemen, he's a redshirt freshman. Stanley Morgan is coming along nicely. Alonzo Moore's improvement over one season is remarkable even as he's in his JR. season, Riley made it clear that he loves Alonzo Moore for a big reason. Says Moore is easy to teach and willing to learn. It's been the one guy I've heard Riley really go out of his way to display how much he respected that.

Now I'm not saying for sure, because I don't know, but is it possible that some of these younger guys are more apt to have success because it's easier to wash away the old schemes, the old techniques, and the old piss poor attitude of the former staff? It's really possible.

I'd believe that before I would believe that a bunch of new coaches came in and have complete ownership of every aspect of this JR. and SR. laden team all in 10 months of coaching football here.

The older guys on this team are ingrained with the things they've been taught and the way they learned them. Sometimes it takes longer to unlearn and break the old habits before you can become the player you need to be in a new system AND a new culture.

Young guys on this team have a leg up in that aspect, lucky for us, Bo didn't get a lot of younger guys involved too much. The stories about practice were that a lot of guys stood around. We know we didn't see a whole lot of depth established in games. So the instincts, both on and off the field, may not be so deeply lodged into their being.

Good for those guys.

They have less of the old "stench" to wash off. In my opinion, that's a good thing.

This is what I'm seeing. When you consider what the strength of the defense was last year and what the glaring weakness is this year, it pretty much says it all.

And sometimes outsiders have no clue what they're talking about. He undergoes random drug testing, and has passed every one. Try again.

And here I thought you were judging someone else's parenting skill.

• Fire 1
But since the previous staff neglected their recruiting duties to several positions we now start a Freshamn DE who was a TE last year and Senior walk on.

This has been covered before.

Pelini recruiting was supposed to have led to Avery Moss and Randy Gregory starting this year for Nebraska. Both were considered quality recruits by most everybody at the time. Avery Moss was on the All Big Ten Freshman team in 2013 and Gregory is now getting paid in the NFL.

Now, one can fault Pelini for recruiting two guys who ended up having off the field problems, but no one can question the talent of these two recruits.

• Fire 1