unsportsmanlike-conduct/2015/10/27/how-talented-is-nebraska

Sargon

http://www.1620thezone.com/unsportsmanlike-conduct/2015/10/27/how-talented-is-nebraska

They added up the ranking data per player on the 2 deeps for the Big West.

Conclusion....little separation top to bottom. And, all 7 teams are very mediocre in 2 deep talent per recruiting rankings.

Rankings.png

Nebraska is #1 overall in the 247Composite, while they're tied for #2 in the Rivals ranking. But, they're not running away with the division by any means. They're pretty much average. They're right in line with pretty much all of the other six teams in their division.

To debate the reason for a 3-5 start can certainly be had. Whether it's on Bo Pelini, Mike Riley, a combination of the two, or something else entirely is not what this post is about. We can do that on our show moving forward.

But what I think this shows is that Nebraska's talent isn't as good as the collective we thought it was before the season.

• Fire 2

Interesting statistics in that article. Thank you for posting that up.

I would be curious to see a similar comparison across the power conferences over 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 year periods. I would also be curious to see what the upper and lower bounds are for that composite. Curious to see if, statistically, college football has seen a trend towards more parity over a 30 year period OR if what we could call "average" just captures more of the college football landscape than it did at different periods in the past.

I realize it is easy to get caught up in analysis of statistics and focus in on them as the absolute communicator of truth but it is also interesting how they can point to trends or suggest outcomes.

In the end, I think zoogs nailed it.

It is really cool that he put that together. That is fun to look at and compare.

I'd question why Lane Hovey (RS) is listed instead of Stanley Morgan (4*) when they're listed as OR on the depth chart and Morgan has nearly double the targets/catches/yards, but that would only change the results a little.

EDIT: Taariq Allen is listed, not Hovey, which is even more dumbfounding.

I never really felt Bo did much with the high star guys he did recruit. There are exceptions, I just feel that was the norm for him.

One of the USC guys hypothesized that perhaps Bo favored the lower ranked guys because that's what he was as a player... Under the radar, scrappy. Pretty farfetched, but interesting nonetheless.

I never really felt Bo did much with the high star guys he did recruit. There are exceptions, I just feel that was the norm for him.

One of the USC guys hypothesized that perhaps Bo favored the lower ranked guys because that's what he was as a player... Under the radar, scrappy. Pretty farfetched, but interesting nonetheless.

Haha..what's the story behind your signature? I can't stop watching it...

• Fire 1

Haha..what's the story behind your signature? I can't stop watching it...
No idea. Just found it when I wanted to switch things up. Loved watching Lil Red see what he had coming.

Seriously... Imagine him standing over your bed when you woke up at night. I'd legit have a heart attack.

It is really cool that he put that together. That is fun to look at and compare.

I'd question why Lane Hovey (RS) is listed instead of Stanley Morgan (4*) when they're listed as OR on the depth chart and Morgan has nearly double the targets/catches/yards, but that would only change the results a little.

You asked a good question on twitter and if they answered it, I didn't see it. You asked which 2-deep he used. It's a good question. Is it best possible? Is it coming out of Fall Camp? Is it last week's?

Here's another report. NU appears much better.... This is blue chip recruits per school as a percentage. Lists all conferences.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/2/18/5312840/college-football-recruiting-teams-championships

Big Ten:

452633597_extra_large.jpgWho's No. 3 on the recruiting trail after these two? Gregory Shamus, Getty

Team % '13-14 v. '11-12 Ohio State 68 Up 17% Michigan 55 Up 16% Nebraska 30 Down 28% Penn State 21 Up 2% Michigan State 16 Up 8% Wisconsin 14 Up 14% Maryland 13 Up 9% Rutgers 12 Down 21% Northwestern 8 Up 12% Iowa 8 Down 14% Indiana 5 Up 10% Purdue 2 Even Illinois 2 Even Minnesota 1 Up 3%

The Big Ten gets a bad rap at times, but it's basically right there or better than most other conferences. There is some serious jockeying for the No. 3 slot, and some of the lesser teams are fighting tooth-and-nail to make moves out of the cellar. But there is a lot of cellar here, with six schools recruiting in the single digits.

Nebraska's move to the Big Ten has not helped its recruiting at all. If anything, it has hurt quite a bit. The two-year drop of 28 percent compared to the '11-12 classes is one of the biggest in the country, and coach Bo Pelini's perpetual hot-seat status doesn't help either. Nebraska is a weak state for high school talent, and Nebraska has not been nationally relevant in any way since current recruits began elementary school.

James Franklin is an awesome recruiter, and Penn State's sanctions will hurt less over the next few years. However, even with all the excitement about Franklin's first class, it was right in line with the 20 percent clip Penn State had recruited at over the three classes before his arrival. It will take time before Penn State can match Ohio State and Michigan on the recruiting trail.

Wisconsin seems to be making some moves under new head coach Gary Andersen, thanks perhaps in part to the success of the former head coach. And that's not easy, because its state produces very little elite recruiting talent.

The two teams entering the league, Maryland and Rutgers, bring a similar level of talent, but the programs seem to be going in opposite directions. Rutgers' recruiting is plummeting. Maryland, meanwhile, has overcome ridiculous injuries on the field and made the best of it, and its recruiting is on the way up. Penn State's hiring of Franklin will make things tougher on the Terrapins in the D.C. area than Bill O'Brien did, though.

Here's another report. NU appears much better.... This is blue chip recruits per school as a percentage. Lists all conferences.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/2/18/5312840/college-football-recruiting-teams-championships

Big Ten:

452633597_extra_large.jpgWho's No. 3 on the recruiting trail after these two? Gregory Shamus, Getty

Team

%

'13-14 v. '11-12

Ohio State

Up 17%

Michigan

Up 16%

Nebraska

Down 28%

Penn State

Up 2%

Michigan State

Up 8%

Wisconsin

Up 14%

Maryland

Up 9%

Rutgers

Down 21%

Northwestern

Up 12%

Iowa

Down 14%

Indiana

Up 10%

Purdue

Even

Illinois

Even

Minnesota

Up 3%

The Big Ten gets a bad rap at times, but it's basically right there or better than most other conferences. There is some serious jockeying for the No. 3 slot, and some of the lesser teams are fighting tooth-and-nail to make moves out of the cellar. But there is a lot of cellar here, with six schools recruiting in the single digits.

Nebraska's move to the Big Ten has not helped its recruiting at all. If anything, it has hurt quite a bit. The two-year drop of 28 percent compared to the '11-12 classes is one of the biggest in the country, and coach Bo Pelini's perpetual hot-seat status doesn't help either. Nebraska is a weak state for high school talent, and Nebraska has not been nationally relevant in any way since current recruits began elementary school.

James Franklin is an awesome recruiter, and Penn State's sanctions will hurt less over the next few years. However, even with all the excitement about Franklin's first class, it was right in line with the 20 percent clip Penn State had recruited at over the three classes before his arrival. It will take time before Penn State can match Ohio State and Michigan on the recruiting trail.

Wisconsin seems to be making some moves under new head coach Gary Andersen, thanks perhaps in part to the success of the former head coach. And that's not easy, because its state produces very little elite recruiting talent.

More: The All-Big Ten Recruit Team

The two teams entering the league, Maryland and Rutgers, bring a similar level of talent, but the programs seem to be going in opposite directions. Rutgers' recruiting is plummeting. Maryland, meanwhile, has overcome ridiculous injuries on the field and made the best of it, and its recruiting is on the way up. Penn State's hiring of Franklin will make things tougher on the Terrapins in the D.C. area than Bill O'Brien did, though.
I'd be curious to see what became of those guys. I'd wager a good deal a good number of them left the program or just did not end up contributing. Some, but not all, of that is on the coaches.