***Official Purdue Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

Where the hell do you people just realize that if we just execute, things usually go our way! If we don't have the players to execute, then we need to get them...

This is something Bo Pelini would say...

And then True would lambast him for it.

Haha! Yep you guys are right and it is funny. Key difference here though and I know most of you won't get it or even care to read this, but the big difference is that I supported Bo for about the first 5 years. Hell, f#*k that, I even supported Bo in his final year when he swore he had seen the light and some changes were coming.

7 years in, we watched the same team do the same stuff in the same schemes.

If you can't respect the difference there, then piss off and quit talking to me.

I do see the difference. Except, we're doing the same things, and worse. If it was bad for Bo, it has to be bad for Riley too.

Not sure how much to put on Coach Riley and his staff yet.

Watching the games, the players are there, they are in position to succeed. They are not executing and they are not making plays.

Too many experts here throwing the coaches under the bus and not even talking about the players.

A defensive back watches the WR catch the ball and then misses the tackle, and tha'ts the coaches fault?

Ryker throws a pick on a horrible pass and the first and following comments here are about Langsdorf?

Gimme a break guys, these players are really doing a poor job this year. Period. It's all about how much ownership you think Riley and his staff have in this team and right now, I seriously question how much this is "their team".

Coaches need to put the players in position to succeed. Purdue has the worst rush D in the B1G, and we abandoned the run. Our secondary has been torched by every QB we've faced, Banker says "oh, we can make adjustments" and we continue to put them on islands and put them in position to fail.

It's not just the fans questioning what's going on. It's former players and analysts across the country.

As a leader/manager/boss it is YOUR JOB to put people under you in the best position possible to succeed. Even if you don't have a team of rock stars, you do what you can. Nebraska isn't doing that.

This +1000, and why folks like True just don't get it.

Frankly, if Riley were a CEO, he would have already been fired, his tenure has been that abysmal so far.

This +10000000000000000000

What's wrong with that guy? What a dumbass.........

(added more zeroes for effect)

+1. Couldn't agree more.

Where the hell do you people just realize that if we just execute, things usually go our way! If we don't have the players to execute, then we need to get them...

Haha! Yep you guys are right and it is funny. Key difference here though and I know most of you won't get it or even care to read this, but the big difference is that I supported Bo for about the first 5 years. Hell, f#*k that, I even supported Bo in his final year when he swore he had seen the light and some changes were coming.

If you can't respect the difference there, then piss off and quit talking to me.

I do see the difference. Except, we're doing the same things, and worse. If it was bad for Bo, it has to be bad for Riley too.

Watching the games, the players are there, they are in position to succeed. They are not executing and they are not making plays.

Too many experts here throwing the coaches under the bus and not even talking about the players.

A defensive back watches the WR catch the ball and then misses the tackle, and tha'ts the coaches fault?

Ryker throws a pick on a horrible pass and the first and following comments here are about Langsdorf?

Gimme a break guys, these players are really doing a poor job this year. Period. It's all about how much ownership you think Riley and his staff have in this team and right now, I seriously question how much this is "their team".

Coaches need to put the players in position to succeed. Purdue has the worst rush D in the B1G, and we abandoned the run. Our secondary has been torched by every QB we've faced, Banker says "oh, we can make adjustments" and we continue to put them on islands and put them in position to fail.

It's not just the fans questioning what's going on. It's former players and analysts across the country.

As a leader/manager/boss it is YOUR JOB to put people under you in the best position possible to succeed. Even if you don't have a team of rock stars, you do what you can. Nebraska isn't doing that.

A defensive back watches the WR catch the ball and then misses the tackle, and tha'ts the coaches fault? I think there is a lot of fault to go around. I do think the coaches set the tone and define the standards. In the case of the DB, was he taught to stay on the WR or to play the ball? There is some technique that needs to be taught. I would imagine that the DB's attitude and ego need some coache's attention also. The pass defense has been a problem since the first game. What improvement or changes have been made?

you made a great case for why these coaches stink!! they have made zero change to scheme/technique when it comes to the DB's. The DB's are left on an island alone, the D-Line isn't getting to the QB so the DB's resemble toast (always getting burnt). That is on the Coaches!!! did you see that level of defensive play week in and week out since Cozgrove left town? Banker is a horrible DC. Doesn't make any adjustments and, like Cozgrove, tries to make the player fit his scheme instead of adjusting scheme to put his players into position to succeed... Then, the HC doesn't lift a finger to make a change... the players (and fans that pay these coaches salary) deserve better.

The fact that Ozigbo didn't have a carry is disappointing.

Still this is far from laying it "all" on the coaches.

Oh, I agree it's not "all" on the coaches.

Ozigbo did play though and got a couple carries and a catch. No idea where Wilbon is. They raved about him all last year.

I want Wilbon out there big time. Not sure what happened there, but it has been the most frustrating thing to watch us try to kick start a run game without our best RB.

Wilbon is our best RB.

Ozigbo, not far behind.

You don't get the impression that this isn't "all" on the coaches when you read you and some of your buddies comments.

The fact that Ozigbo didn't have a carry is disappointing.

Still this is far from laying it "all" on the coaches.

Oh, I agree it's not "all" on the coaches.

Ozigbo did play though and got a couple carries and a catch. No idea where Wilbon is. They raved about him all last year.

I want Wilbon out there big time. Not sure what happened there, but it has been the most frustrating thing to watch us try to kick start a run game without our best RB.

Wilbon is our best RB.

Ozigbo, not far behind.

You don't get the impression that this isn't "all" on the coaches when you read you and some of your buddies comments.

It's because you have confirmation bias. There's guys on the team that have quit on the staff, no question. It happened in 2007 too. At this point, it's looking like a lost cause.

triple tip pick off.

We're cursed.

I can't take it anymore. Does anyone posting here have clue? If you throw a pass way behind the receiver, bad things happen. It doesn't mean you are cursed, it means you can't throw accurately, which is a function of coaching, talent, effort, and practice.

Good lord right!?

It's either bad coaching or we're cursed!? Where the hell do you people just realize that if we just execute, things usually go our way! If we don't have the players to execute, then we need to get them and we can hardly hold Riley and his staff accountable for not having the guys capable of executing right now. How the hell could that be their fault?

We've been inconsistent for years now!

It is all mental right now. Players are culpable for their actions and mindset. Coaches are too. Charlie Strong came into a distinct but equally toxic atmosphere in Texas. He started the change in culture during the off-season by making the team accountable for their actions (lots of players dismissed). The play suffered from the talent loss, so mid-season, Charlie has incorporated more power football. It is a lot easier to buy in as a player when you know there are consequences to your actions (Team comes first) and that you will have an opportunity to run the ball down the opponents throat on Saturdays. Accountability + Power Football, that is the recipe for a strong football culture.

Yeah, and that is where I find the coaches responsible and if you've read my comments on this board, you've seen it.

I get in these discussions here with stupid people and I find myself defending the coaches constantly with the on field stuff, but this accountability and personnel area of the team is one are I am baffled by the decisions.

I totally agree with your Charlie Strong reference and this catering to the athlete mentality needs to disappear here as well. These guys need an awakening, but how will they ever wake up if they don't feel like their position on the team is ever in jeapordy. I totally get it.

Then you have to put yourself in the shoes of the coach. If you're a coach, you're responsibility is to put the best product you can on the field. So if there is such a drastic drop off to that next level then you're in a tough spot. Do you allow the team as a whole to suffer and fail because you've put an even worse player in the game? I mean, we have to remember, these decisions affect everyone. Not just the player that doesn't seem to give a crap.

The whole team suffers.

I think we are indeed in a rebuild mode and I think there needs to be some cleansing of this program.

I get you, but hopefully, the play today is not the best product this team can produce. If so, play the back-ups anyway. If your starters are the only physical talents that can get you wins, you have to show them they need to bring it mentally as well or they will be replaced. Your losing the games anyway. Might as well lose the game while winning the team. Feel me?

I'd normally agree except we're close to the end of season. At this point I'm glad Cav is not rotating on the OL. It's probably better not to put in one or two players that would give some effort. It wouldn't be enough to make a difference and would only have those players associated with this shitshow. Let the players that started this mess continue doing what they are doing. Imagine being a starter on the line for one of the worst teams in Nebraska history with every one of your plays on film. People can complain about the coaches all they want but losing to Purdue comes down to some really poor effort by players. Not all players but enough.

Show me one person, just ONE, who picked us to lose to Purdue before the beginning of the season. Most predicted a winning record; many predicted double-digit wins and an appearance in the CCG. This is an embarrassment, a mockery, a disgrace. There's no other way to put it.

We haven't lost yet.

You were saying?

A defensive back watches the WR catch the ball and then misses the tackle, and tha'ts the coaches fault? I think there is a lot of fault to go around. I do think the coaches set the tone and define the standards. In the case of the DB, was he taught to stay on the WR or to play the ball? There is some technique that needs to be taught. I would imagine that the DB's attitude and ego need some coache's attention also. The pass defense has been a problem since the first game. What improvement or changes have been made?

As a leader, if my subordinates are not following instructions, I replace them. Every DB is doing the same thing, and have been doing it all year. That is the fault of the coaches.