Chatelain: What now, Huskers?

Saunders

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Nebraska basically has two options: Fire the athletic director now, then the coach at the end of the season, as it did in 2007. Or ride this thing out. Those are the options.

Your heart says clean house, right? Start over. You can’t stand another Saturday like this. I don’t blame you one bit.

But what does your head say? Practically speaking, Nebraska has no choice but to endure this disaster for three more weeks. Hope like heck that Riley can make the proper offseason decisions to turn it around in 2016.

That means a significant roster purge. That means a hard look at his closest assistant coaches. That means stricter discipline.

What about Shawn Eichorst? I can’t imagine his email feedback will be “90 percent positive,” as he insisted a few weeks ago. The A.D. is on thinner ice than Riley, no doubt. He better schmooze every booster he can find, millionaire or not.

What about the fan base? Nebraska's national reputation is stained too deep to clean. Memorial Stadium could be a zombie-zone in the second half against Michigan State and Iowa.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mad-chatter-what-now-huskers/article_6e73530a-800e-11e5-9e23-4fde294409e9.html

• Fire 1

Something just doesn't sit well with me in terms of firing Riley. I don't know how much stock to put into the concerns that firing a coach after year one means we won't be able to get a good coach. And if you fire the AD, does that, in turn, make it easier to lure a coach here?

Furthermore, I don't know what the contract situation is like here, but we're still paying Bo. We probably still would have to pay Riley a buyout. And even though we're one of the more profitable athletic departments in the country, I'm curious just how much financial blow we can handle if we're continuing to fire our highest paid coaches.

We're not a good situation. Part of me says fire everyone, the other part of me wonders if that really is the best option for the university right now.

I don't see a point in giving Riley a pass even if he cleans house. He's the problem. These are "his guys." He hired them and he's not known to fire assistants. Continuity is great when your program is winning.

I kind of agree, I don't really buy into the idea of purging assistants and keeping the head man. He's the Captain, it's his ship. If you want wholesale changes, why not just get rid of the hand man too?

• Fire 1

Something just doesn't sit well with me in terms of firing Riley. I don't know how much stock to put into the concerns that firing a coach after year one means we won't be able to get a good coach. And if you fire the AD, does that, in turn, make it easier to lure a coach here?

Furthermore, I don't know what the contract situation is like here, but we're still paying Bo. We probably still would have to pay Riley a buyout. And even though we're one of the more profitable athletic departments in the country, I'm curious just how much financial blow we can handle if we're continuing to fire our highest paid coaches.

We're not a good situation. Part of me says fire everyone, the other part of me wonders if that really is the best option for the university right now.

A $1 million buyout is part of Mike Riley's contract as Nebraska head football coach.

Details of the five-year contract were obtained Wednesday.

Riley's base salary is set at $2.7 million, and will increase by $100,000 increments to $3.1 million over the course of five years.

If Riley takes another coaching job, Nebraska would be owed $1 million. Bo Pelini's buyout was $250,000.

If terminated, Riley will be guaranteed a monthly payment of $170,000 through the term of his contract (Pelini will get $150,000). Both amounts would be reduced should the coach find another job.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/riley-contract-includes-million-buyout/article_baf3a9d7-97c6-52aa-af24-96ec7457b6ec.html

• Fire 2

That's the tough part. But IMO, if we keep him, we're hitting the 2 decade mark without a conference title.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Nebraska basically has two options: Fire the athletic director now, then the coach at the end of the season, as it did in 2007. Or ride this thing out. Those are the options.

Your heart says clean house, right? Start over. You can’t stand another Saturday like this. I don’t blame you one bit.

But what does your head say? Practically speaking, Nebraska has no choice but to endure this disaster for three more weeks. Hope like heck that Riley can make the proper offseason decisions to turn it around in 2016.

That means a significant roster purge. That means a hard look at his closest assistant coaches. That means stricter discipline.

What about Shawn Eichorst? I can’t imagine his email feedback will be “90 percent positive,” as he insisted a few weeks ago. The A.D. is on thinner ice than Riley, no doubt. He better schmooze every booster he can find, millionaire or not.

What about the fan base? Nebraska's national reputation is stained too deep to clean. Memorial Stadium could be a zombie-zone in the second half against Michigan State and Iowa.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mad-chatter-what-now-huskers/article_6e73530a-800e-11e5-9e23-4fde294409e9.html

If Riley is canned, who are the options for replacing him? Because firing a guy is just one part of a solution. I would like names of candidates.

• Fire 1

People talk about how hard it is to recruit to NU. The weather, location, conference etc...... I don't think its that hard, but I am not a recruiter. For arguments sake, lets say NU does have recruiting disadvantages to other schools.

Recruits now see the following:

A coach who took a 9-4 team to 3-6 (realistically 3-9).

A coach whose mistakes with the clock cost us 3 of those losses.

A OL that doesn't rotate. At all. Again, if I am an OL recruit I see this and look to go elsewhere.

If I am a good DB, no way in hell I choose NU.

No way I choose a school that is slipping further and further from respectability and into the realm of also rans and really now a B1G bottom feeder. Purdue, because of playing to not lose, made the game much closer. For all intensive purposes, we just got blown out by Purdue. A school that is 1-18 against B1G opponents......

So yea, my heart says cut him loose as does my head. Fire SE as well. His mistake. His hire. Fix it or your gone. End of discussion.

Id start contacting coaches now. There are some big time schools opening up and some guys will be moving. Get a good one while the getting is good. I'd offer Frost (Shaw, Herman). He gets NU. Played with passion and thats what we need. I'd offer Herman, Shaw etc... Find a guy who can use the talent we have and recruit for it. A guy who "gets what NU was and is". A definitive system that fits. Brings back physicality on both sides of the ball. A coach who demands accountability. You perform or you sit. End of discussion,

So yea, tell him this weekend he's gone. Either that or tell him the following are gone:

Read

Banker

Stewart

Cav

Davis

Langs

Open up the check book and hire big time DC and OC. Tell Riley that the WCO pass happy crap is a no go. If he wants to keep that, get to stepping. Would a guy like Monken, Calhoun, come here as OC? Bring back Gill, Sanders, Brown..... I know folks say you can't pick a guys staff, but the caveat to allow him to stay, the staff needs to be approved prior to....