Chatelain: What now, Huskers?

Saunders

Both the heart and head say to clean house. Run Eichorst out of Nebraska immediately. The coach is 62 years old. We will be starting over in a matter of 5ish years anyways because there is no other coach on this staff capable of head coaching duties. Fire Eichorst, hire Alberts and put this staff on notice.

Then when you are done with that, go through each and every player on this team and decide if they are worthy of a scholarship or not. I will say it, some of these players shouldn't be here, and it has nothing to do with talent. Just ask Charlie Strong.

There was some half a$$ed effort in todays game. No doubt. Get onboard or get off.

Yup. But the coaches are just as responsible. Not only are these players still around, but being rewarded with game time. Purge the program.

It all started with coaching and talent not coming through when it needed to. Now, passion and drive have started to affect them. I think the want to and drive was there for the first half of the season, or, at least the first few games. But, I think teams can only take so much. Sure, some of the guys may be focused, but 125 of them probably are not. And can you blame them? They went from winning 9 games to now probably not even going to a bowl game. They've had coaches telling them do things a certain way all season and it's not transitioning to the field. There's a chance there's doubt in many of their minds.

Honestly, I think the season is officially a wash. I'm supporting the players through and through but it just feels like nothing is left of this season, and we're seeing it in the overall performance.

Well it goes back to what Benning and Jason Peter said about taking pride in your craft. They're D-1 athletes and it's time to act like it. I can see where they have lost faith in the coaches, but still play with some damn pride. You have to want it.

Peters and Benning would be no names under this staff. That's what they don't really "get."

Both the heart and head say to clean house. Run Eichorst out of Nebraska immediately. The coach is 62 years old. We will be starting over in a matter of 5ish years anyways because there is no other coach on this staff capable of head coaching duties. Fire Eichorst, hire Alberts and put this staff on notice.

Then when you are done with that, go through each and every player on this team and decide if they are worthy of a scholarship or not. I will say it, some of these players shouldn't be here, and it has nothing to do with talent. Just ask Charlie Strong.

There was some half a$$ed effort in todays game. No doubt. Get onboard or get off.

Yup. But the coaches are just as responsible. Not only are these players still around, but being rewarded with game time. Purge the program.

It all started with coaching and talent not coming through when it needed to. Now, passion and drive have started to affect them. I think the want to and drive was there for the first half of the season, or, at least the first few games. But, I think teams can only take so much. Sure, some of the guys may be focused, but 125 of them probably are not. And can you blame them? They went from winning 9 games to now probably not even going to a bowl game. They've had coaches telling them do things a certain way all season and it's not transitioning to the field. There's a chance there's doubt in many of their minds.

Honestly, I think the season is officially a wash. I'm supporting the players through and through but it just feels like nothing is left of this season, and we're seeing it in the overall performance.

Well it goes back to what Benning and Jason Peter said about taking pride in your craft. They're D-1 athletes and it's time to act like it. I can see where they have lost faith in the coaches, but still play with some damn pride. You have to want it.

Peters and Benning would be no names under this staff. That's what they don't really "get."

Okay? Doesn't invalidate their points.

They, like too many people here, equate wins with effort. Wins are a result of superior preparation, of which effort is a component but not alone sufficient. They like to think they gave better effort than these kids because they were getting better results under a far superior HC. Reality check: they may not have been. Secondary reality check, if they gave better effort, it may have been because they saw it paying off under a coaching staff that knew how to win. If they'd played under the abominable mismanagement we see today, maybe they would have "given up" too.

I don't see a point in giving Riley a pass even if he cleans house. He's the problem. These are "his guys." He hired them and he's not known to fire assistants. Continuity is great when your program is winning.

I kind of agree, I don't really buy into the idea of purging assistants and keeping the head man. He's the Captain, it's his ship. If you want wholesale changes, why not just get rid of the hand man too?

I say get rid of MR now. Miami fired Golden. This is unacceptable. Name an interim HC, and get a great HC as soon as possible. Send SE the door at the same time if he made this hire. I still don't understand how SE is allowed to choose the HC without input from others.

Some of y'all have been saying that since BYU or week 4. Well news flash bud, anyone can say that. What is the game plan after you fire someone? What is the resolution to the solution? What is option B in case your best favorite expert coach says no thanks? Not specifically you, but you and the rest.

WHO IS THE COACH THAT WANTS TO GO WHERE THEY HAVE LESS THAN A FOUR WEEK PATIENCE/TOLERANCE LEVEL (FAN BASE) WAITING FOR HIM???!!! PROVIDE NAMES AS YOUR SOLUTION PLEASE!

AND WHAT DO YOU DO IF HERMAN SAYS "NOT A CHANCE IN HELL"???

AND CALHOUN SAYS "YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME, NO WAY!"

AND AFTER 4 OR 5 TOP CHOICES SAY NOPE, ALL YOU HAVE LEFT IS ..............??

• Fire 2

CAPS LOCK FOR A HEATED MOMENT. I apologize. I just want to know what happens when the guy in the Husker fan's head doesn't sign on to coach here. What happens after that?

And that's not even considering the current players, recruits and ramifications of a one-and-done axe.

Not saying I'm for or against (but leaning more towards against it and tossing many assistants out the door) but I rarely see a plan that hints towards reality.

• Fire 1

They, like too many people here, equate wins with effort. Wins are a result of superior preparation, of which effort is a component but not alone sufficient. They like to think they gave better effort than these kids because they were getting better results under a far superior HC. Reality check: they may not have been. Secondary reality check, if they gave better effort, it may have been because they saw it paying off under a coaching staff that knew how to win. If they'd played under the abominable mismanagement we see today, maybe they would have "given up" too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm calling for the coach's heads as well, but the players need to put in the work. Regardless of who the staff is comprised of, they play for Nebraska. That's not an opportunity that gets laid out to everyone. Either get on the bus or stay at the station. We've got other passengers who would like to ride.

CAPS LOCK FOR A HEATED MOMENT. I apologize. I just want to know what happens when the guy in the Husker fan's head doesn't sign on to coach here. What happens after that?

And that's not even considering the current players, recruits and ramifications of a one-and-done axe.

Not saying I'm for or against (but leaning more towards against it and tossing many assistants out the door) but I rarely see a plan that hints towards reality.

We're really stuck in a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario aren't we? It's a big chance we take to enter the carousel again, but can we really tolerate the product on the field?

• Fire 1

I don't see a point in giving Riley a pass even if he cleans house. He's the problem. These are "his guys." He hired them and he's not known to fire assistants. Continuity is great when your program is winning.

I kind of agree, I don't really buy into the idea of purging assistants and keeping the head man. He's the Captain, it's his ship. If you want wholesale changes, why not just get rid of the hand man too?

I say get rid of MR now. Miami fired Golden. This is unacceptable. Name an interim HC, and get a great HC as soon as possible. Send SE the door at the same time if he made this hire. I still don't understand how SE is allowed to choose the HC without input from others.

Some of y'all have been saying that since BYU or week 4. Well news flash bud, anyone can say that. What is the game plan after you fire someone? What is the resolution to the solution? What is option B in case your best favorite expert coach says no thanks? Not specifically you, but you and the rest.

WHO IS THE COACH THAT WANTS TO GO WHERE THEY HAVE LESS THAN A FOUR WEEK PATIENCE/TOLERANCE LEVEL (FAN BASE) WAITING FOR HIM???!!! PROVIDE NAMES AS YOUR SOLUTION PLEASE!

Can't a coaching search be like dating women? You know make before break? If you get turned down by everyone that is better than what you have then stick with what you have.

To our fan bases credit we haven't started flying banners. It should be interesting to see what kind of coaches Miami is able to attract.

• Fire 1

coaches coach. Players play. Just watch the games. There are multiple players not giving full effort. And it started game one. Thats why guys like benning and peter and foreman are pretty much straight up ashamed. Its plain offensive. This team hasnt shown a fraction of the desire and passion past teams have. Even last year.

Now. The effort issue doesnt absolve this staff. They are just as much to blame. Ive rewatched this debacle twice already. There are 4 guys im trying to figure out why theyre still on the field.

Right now? I think were screwed either way. Cavs handling and comments on the oline tell me such. In regards to the gap. How wide is starters to twos. So hes either clueless or the future is not bright. Next year will notbe better.

We're really stuck in a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario aren't we? It's a big chance we take to enter the carousel again, but can we really tolerate the product on the field?

Yes we are stuck, and it's frustrating. I have no insight and am all ears to hear what is the best break/fix solution. With respect to reality and not just a carte blanche answer of "open the checkbook and he will come". This is a mess we are in. Hopefully it will get way way better.

Can't a coaching search be like dating women? You know make before break? If you get turned down by everyone that is better than what you have then stick with what you have.

To our fan bases credit we haven't started flying banners. It should be interesting to see what kind of coaches Miami is able to attract.

I hear ya..... it's a very difficult and frustrating situation. Just ready for solutions and done with the "Fire Him Now!" threads. Only time will tell if we do anything, and specifically, anything right. :hmmph

A guy like Mike Riley...... An also ran who accomplished much of nothing. Only last time, he was the only choice with many other folks available.

I think the fact that the situation really can't get any worse kind of erases any worry about perception if we change coaches again. There are some good young coaches out there that could probably right the ship. Yeah, we aren't going to get a big splash name at this point but it's hard to imagine we could get anyone worse

I don't really know what a realistic "splash hire" would be? Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, Dantonio, etc are all at programs they've established over the years, or are at places where they can be their for life. Someone earlier mentioned names that "no one" has heard of (Herman, Calhoun, etc). I doubt if we hired McElwain today (maybe some still don't know who this is), there'd be much teeth gnashing even though hes not a "big name". Not specifically asking you, olddominion, just using your quote for context.