McKewon: Why Huskers Can't or Won't Run the Ball

First and goal, and we pass twice. Once for a loss on an unblocked "bubble screen" and then the pick. Boos were sounding around Memorial Stadium, not at TA for the pick, but for calling pass plays inside the ten yard line.

We get the ball first and goal in the second half and run three times (although I'm not sure why we ran an injured Newby out of the spread with no fullback) and score on TA's QB sweep.

So we CAN run it after all. I wondered if the boo birds influenced the play calls in the second half, or just the pick. Either way, I hope it is a lesson learned by the staff.

To be fair to Langsdorf, that first down play was a packaged play. Tommy didn't like the numbers and saw a blitzing LB and threw the bubble (8-man box with blitzing LB). Honestly, just a great play by the DB on that, if he misses that tackle, TD. All WR's were in man coverage with zero help.

Here's the play, watch RG move to second level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfaFwQ_eyTI?t=1h31m20s

Agree that it's pretty well established that it was a combo run/pass play call. But that's a VERY poor decision by TA. They had seven guys in the box and two guys lined up to cover Westy. At worst we had six guys to block seven and he throws it to one guy with two defenders on him. And two of the guys "in the box" were quite a ways back. It's first and goal. You don't need 15 yards. You need two.

• Fire 1

Agree that it's pretty well established that it was a combo run/pass play call. But that's a VERY poor decision by TA. They had seven guys in the box and two guys lined up to cover Westy. At worst we had six guys to block seven and he throws it to one guy with two defenders on him. And two of the guys "in the box" were quite a ways back. It's first and goal. You don't need 15 yards. You need two.

I think Tommy knew the second guy covering Westy was coming and took his chance. Maybe I am just giving Tommy the benefit of the doubt, in which case I'm wrong. Maybe I'm too optimistic and biased about our players. I wouldn't doubt that at all.

Regardless, I still don't like the play call. As I stated before (*cough* end of Illinois *cough*), if you want to run the ball, don't give your QB an option to run.

Overall, the way the game was going, I like I-formation there. Or better yet, that split pro set that Tommy scored on the second to last TD (only because it looks cool), especially with Carter and Jano having a great day blocking.

I agree with Mavric. I wish he could call every other series and see if he could best Langsdorf.

Here's a question for anybody: If Nebraska gets the ball first and goal on the two, would you give the ball to Janovich, or give the ball to Cross with Janovich being a lead blocker, or something else? I like Janovich's chances, but I think everybody runs better with Janovich out in front, so I go with Cross...but Armstrong rolling out with Janovich out front...too many right answers, I guess...

I even like my chances carrying the ball behind Jano.

Same video, 1:44:20, Nebraska lined up in the I-formation. I nearly wet myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfaFwQ_eyTI?t=1h44m20s

YES!! Totally on board for that. What a great play, great run by Cross, even better block by Jano!

He has another great block a few plays after that out of the I also.

Nice play and good blocking. What was the line doing on the next play? It looks like Gates didn't block anyone and the right guard was pulling. I don't understand what they were trying to do.