Sipple: NU Leaders Face Tough Decisions

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-after-latest-loss-nu-leaders-face-tough/article_e05d8f58-c82b-59d9-a9a1-569804df79ce.html

I wish I could read the mind of new Nebraska President Hank Bounds. I talked to him briefly in August at a Husker football scrimmage. It became immediately clear he knows the game. He has a reputation for holding people accountable. Those traits may not bode well for Husker athletic director Shawn Eichorst.

Interesting article here by Sip. He hints that the only fan of Eichorst in the administration is Perlman, who is leaving in 2016. It appears we could potentially see another offseason of change.

Fire SE tonight. Send a message. Your hire, your mess, you're fired.

Good read. Depressing as hell though. Bottom feeding NU.

from the article...

Were his players, especially on the offensive and defensive lines, fighting as hard as they could?

"I can't sit here and fault the effort," Riley said

WTH? if the coach cant fault them for not playing hard, what does that say? he is a deer in the headlights. this is too big for him...

he must not have watches the purdue touchdown at the end that was the scrum turned easy touchdown. That play showed the most quit and lack of effort I think I've ever seen the players show. Even Callahan's team turned around to destroy k-state after getting destroyed by a good Kansas team. This team gets manhandled by a 1-6 Purdue team after getting manhandled by a northwestern team they very well should have beaten. No resiliency in this team.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-after-latest-loss-nu-leaders-face-tough/article_e05d8f58-c82b-59d9-a9a1-569804df79ce.html

I wish I could read the mind of new Nebraska President Hank Bounds. I talked to him briefly in August at a Husker football scrimmage. It became immediately clear he knows the game. He has a reputation for holding people accountable. Those traits may not bode well for Husker athletic director Shawn Eichorst.

Interesting article here by Sip. He hints that the only fan of Eichorst in the administration is Perlman, who is leaving in 2016. It appears we could potentially see another offseason of change.

from the article...

Were his players, especially on the offensive and defensive lines, fighting as hard as they could?

WTH? if the coach cant fault them for not playing hard, what does that say? he is a deer in the headlights. this is too big for him...

he must not have watches the purdue touchdown at the end that was the scrum turned easy touchdown. That play showed the most quit and lack of effort I think I've ever seen the players show. Even Callahan's team turned around to destroy k-state after getting destroyed by a good Kansas team. This team gets manhandled by a 1-6 Purdue team after getting manhandled by a northwestern team they very well should have beaten. No resiliency in this team.

So correct me if I'm wrong on this:

1. We fire Bo, we now pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

2. We fire Riley, we would have to pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

3. We hire a coach under a current contract with another school, we'd have to buy out his contract to come here?

If that's all true, that's a boat load of cash.............

You know, after reading this it hit me. Riley is ready to retire. But retiring at OSU wasnt gonna give him much of a nest egg. Why not take a job here, get millions in salary with a huge buyout, purposely do crappy year one so you get fired, and walk off into the sunset a rich man who can set up the rest of his family for their lives too.
  • Fire 2

(cough) Scott Frost (cough)

No offense to Scott, but i really dont want that offense here. And im also not the "we need to run it every play, or bring back the option" guy. I like TRUE balance with an emphasis on imposing your will with the running game as your browser identity. Like USC in early 2000s, Alabama since Saban, Ohio St. for quite awhile now. Control the ball.
You are obviously an offensive mastermind with outstanding credentials so you're opinion is highly regarded.

Solich hired his good friends CB and DG; you can go look up the subsequent decline. Yes, I agree Huskers did well in 2003 under Solich, but it was due to the new DC Pelini, which was a great role for Pelini. Callahan should have kept Pelini as DC, but Callahan brought in his friend Cosgrove. ADSP pulled the plug on Solich in 2003, but for Solich it was already too late as he seemed in over his head after Osborne's recruits were out of the pipeline.

Before Eichorst fired Bo, the only person he consulted with was Pearlman. Nobody else.

Before Eichorst hired Riley, the only person he consulted with was Pearlman. Nobody else.

The guy doesn't know what's best for this program.

That, or he really is just Perlman's puppet.

Perlman deserves a fair helping of the blame for the debacle that is Nebraska football over the past 15 years.

No offense to Scott, but i really dont want that offense here. And im also not the "we need to run it every play, or bring back the option" guy. I like TRUE balance with an emphasis on imposing your will with the running game as your browser identity. Like USC in early 2000s, Alabama since Saban, Ohio St. for quite awhile now. Control the ball.
You are obviously an offensive mastermind with outstanding credentials so you're opinion is highly regarded.
What are you trying to prove? Did i say that anywhere? Im just stating my opinion in what id like to see. Isnt that what a message board is for?

So take your high and mighty attitude, your noob ass, and btfu!

How about this.. You hire Perlman's replacement now. Let him walk the halls of the Admin. and loom over Harvey like the spectre of Death, kind of like they did with Eichorst before TO finally left. You have that incoming hire put strong indicators into Eichorst's ear that if he doesn't pull the trigger on MR &Co. now, he's done like a dinner as quick as the hand-over takes place. I think SE is enough of the self-serving type to drop MR like a hot rock, hell it's not his money. :dunno

Then, you steer SE's hire to your preferred candidate while keeping in mind an AD replacement's ability to get along with said hire. Upon hand-over you can SE anyway, and then publically state the reason as a dislike for the hiring carousel and how it reflects poorly on the university, "Not the Nebraska Way" and all that. You get your coach, you get your AD, and HP & SE get to take the stigmata with them as they leave. chuckleshuffle

Yeah, kind of cut-throat, but needs must. :bonez

• Fire 3

If we can't get Tom Herman or Pat Narduzzi, I'm jumping on the Scott Frost train with you. Influenced by Walsh, Osborne, Parcells, Belichick, Snyder, Chip Kelly and Gruden...the only way you can improve that list is if he was somehow coached by Vince Lombardi as well.

Frost may be the only possibility. Other than him, it's hard to imagine a promising young coach or an established big name coach coming to this dumpster fire where 9 win coaches get fired.

So sick of this argument. Everyone in the country knows why we fired Bo. Most people were surprised it took as long as it did. It wasn't the number of wins, it was his behavior. Bo's firing has nothing to do with this, Mike was just the wrong hire and few people will blame us for firing him after this years performance. It's a high pressure, high expectation job. People know that, stop with the excuses

he has the classic copout, defeatest mindset. "But 9 wins. And we cant recruit"

f#*k that. Man up.

from the article...

Too big? He coached a bottom-tier Pac-12 program, certainly he can handle a bottom-tier B1G program.

What are you trying to prove? Did i say that anywhere? Im just stating my opinion in what id like to see. Isnt that what a message board is for?

So take your high and mighty attitude, your noob ass, and btfu!

What you like/want and what works at Nebraska are two different things. I think it was the tone in which you stated your opinion that was really annoying to me. Either way I seemed to have rustled your jimmies pretty good. Enjoy your Sunday.

IIRC, Nebhawk has been arguing for several weeks against firing Riley for the sole reason that he doesn't trust Eichorst/Perlman to make another coaching decision. After thinking about it this morning and reading Sipple's column, I think I agree with Nebhawk. Every decision Perlman has made throughout his regime in regard to the football program vis-a-vis the Athletic Department has been a total mess, and it is these decisions more than any other set of factors that are responsible for the clear downward trajectory of the program this century. Perlman is the only single person who has been involved in all the screw-ups and mistakes of the past 15 years; is this coincidence?

Perlman cannot be trusted to make a good decision, especially now when more is riding on that decision than ever before. If we whiff on the next hire, this program becomes Minnesota. So for the long-term good of the program, Perlman cannot be involved in hiring either a new AD or coach, meaning we wait to make our move until his long-overdue retirement becomes a reality.

If it weren't for Perlman and his hires being the people yet again in charge of making these crucial decisions, I'd be all for axing this incompetent coaching staff at the conclusion of the Iowa game this year.

• Fire 1

How about this.. You hire Perlman's replacement now. Let him walk the halls of the Admin. and loom over Harvey like the spectre of Death, kind of like they did with Eichorst before TO finally left. You have that incoming hire put strong indicators into Eichorst's ear that if he doesn't pull the trigger on MR &Co. now, he's done like a dinner as quick as the hand-over takes place. I think SE is enough of the self-serving type to drop MR like a hot rock, hell it's not his money. :dunno

Then, you steer SE's hire to your preferred candidate while keeping in mind an AD replacement's ability to get along with said hire. Upon hand-over you can SE anyway, and then publically state the reason as a dislike for the hiring carousel and how it reflects poorly on the university, "Not the Nebraska Way" and all that. You get your coach, you get your AD, and HP & SE get to take the stigmata with them as they leave. chuckleshuffle

Yeah, kind of cut-throat, but needs must. :bonez

That's a plan I would go along with.

from the article...

too much pelini pity party

And lack of give-a-damn affects more than just effort. It affects focus and execution. The ability to care about the little things. Its a pretty widespread problem as i sit and watch this game for the third time. And see things that i just cant wrap my head around. This is big boy college football. Not peewees.

Now. As ive said in other threads. That doesnt merely absolve these coaches of anything. Theyre the ones putting guys on the field. I have a list of 4 guys of which i think should never play a down at Bebraska again. I was a jackass yesterday and named one. Gerry. But only cuz my point of him was, why did it take umpteen injuries and Cockrells family issues to get Aaron Williams pn the field with Gerry pullin the sh#t he is since week 1? I really dont knoe if its complete neglegence or total incompetence. But its one of the two. Say what you want about talent this and system that. But you should be able to beat purdue half asleep. Why? They have one conference win in 3 years. Evryone else has. But know. They piss pounded us. For 60 minutes.

The oline issue and Cavs comments are weird too. Im normally one to put faith in coaches. Theyre around the guys all the time. They know football more. But when i watch this unit and then hear him tell us theres a gap teo things come to mind. Either "buckle up" or hes full of sh#t.

I understand the concept of game players and practice players. And a first year staff can get a mulligan to a degree on this. But by now theres enough game film and attrition to be able to walk into a meeting room and say with full confidence "you and you, out. You and you, youre up". And thats where im confused. I bang my head every day. Cuz if the guys playing are really the best we have, were in big trouble. But theres also plenty of glimpses here and that suggest thays not the case.

• Fire 1