Sipple: NU Leaders Face Tough Decisions

Frost is running Oregons offense. SOme of you posters got tor realize that Frost is running what Helfrich wants and what Chip Kelly started. Frost knows the landscape. He knows Nebraska Football. He would know the Big 10 , because its alot like the Big 12/Big 8 he played in. He understands.

The program needs tradition and those with that tradition back. Our offensive lines played harder under Cotton than they are now. Sounds like Cavanaugh is a good coach, and might be one who would stay. The point is pride back into the program. Bringing back those who can recruit to Nebraska and fit Nebraska. Those are only goingto be Nebraskans, who either played here or grew up here.

Since Solich, we have complained about every offensive CO, and almost every D coord. These other staffs can't please the fan base. So far not other staff can do anything right. Solich was fired because all he did was run the ball, option attack. It was said that we needed to move into the next century. Upgrade so we can be relevant for the future. That brought us Callahan.

What about my top choice, Mark Richt? He has Nebraska ties, and grew up here. He has every possible credential you could want.

(cough) Scott Frost (cough)

I keep seeing you drop his name, but why? Just because he QB'd here? He has no HC experience and you're ready to hand him the reigns? Truth of the matter is, if he weren't a Nebraska boy his name wouldn't even be mentioned. And I like Frost.

Go look at Tom Herman's resume before taking over as HC at Houston. Then again, maybe you don't like Tom Herman.

The reason Herman's name is being mentioned, and Fuente's, is because they are now head coaches at smaller programs and they are proving what they can do as head coaches. Frost has never been a head coach. He needs to get his feet wet someplace else before he jumps to a major school. See the difference?

Like TO

If we can't get Tom Herman or Pat Narduzzi, I'm jumping on the Scott Frost train with you. Influenced by Walsh, Osborne, Parcells, Belichick, Snyder, Chip Kelly and Gruden...the only way you can improve that list is if he was somehow coached by Vince Lombardi as well.

Frost may be the only possibility. Other than him, it's hard to imagine a promising young coach or an established big name coach coming to this dumpster fire where 9 win coaches get fired.

Frost is running Oregons offense. SOme of you posters got tor realize that Frost is running what Helfrich wants and what Chip Kelly started. Frost knows the landscape. He knows Nebraska Football. He would know the Big 10 , because its alot like the Big 12/Big 8 he played in. He understands.

The program needs tradition and those with that tradition back. Our offensive lines played harder under Cotton than they are now. Sounds like Cavanaugh is a good coach, and might be one who would stay. The point is pride back into the program. Bringing back those who can recruit to Nebraska and fit Nebraska. Those are only goingto be Nebraskans, who either played here or grew up here.

Since Solich, we have complained about every offensive CO, and almost every D coord. These other staffs can't please the fan base. So far not other staff can do anything right. Solich was fired because all he did was run the ball, option attack. It was said that we needed to move into the next century. Upgrade so we can be relevant for the future. That brought us Callahan.

What about my top choice, Mark Richt? He has Nebraska ties, and grew up here. He has every possible credential you could want.

Richt has some very talented and very under performing teams. enuff said for that argument.

Can't think of too many coaches that have done less with more. Has he ever had a recruiting class that wasn't top 5? And what does he have to show for it? Pelini won more games from '08-'14 than Richt did.

• Fire 2

Can't think of too many coaches that have done less with more. Has he ever had a recruiting class that wasn't top 5? And what does he have to show for it? Pelini won more games from '08-'14 than Richt did.

Richt does have two SEC Championships, even if they are over 10 years old. But I get your point and it is a valid one.

I wish I could read the mind of new Nebraska President Hank Bounds. I talked to him briefly in August at a Husker football scrimmage. It became immediately clear he knows the game. He has a reputation for holding people accountable. Those traits may not bode well for Husker athletic director Shawn Eichorst.

Eichorst, who unilaterally hired Riley, is in a bit of a fix. His key supporter is a lame-duck chancellor, Harvey Perlman, who's not exactly a popular figure with a significant share of the eight-man Board of Regents. Perlman, set to retire June 30, unilaterally hired Eichorst. If push came to shove, and Perlman was asked to fire Eichorst, my guess is he wouldn't.

Which is why I wish I could read Bounds' mind. He has a mess on his hands, it seems.

I'm told Eichorst has very limited support among the upper-level administration, and support continues to wane with each loss. This one was especially damaging, considering Purdue (2-6, 1-3) scored more points against Nebraska than it did in its previous three Big Ten games this season combined.

Damn... If that doesn't beg for a house cleaning, IDK what does.

• Fire 1

If we can't get Tom Herman or Pat Narduzzi, I'm jumping on the Scott Frost train with you. Influenced by Walsh, Osborne, Parcells, Belichick, Snyder, Chip Kelly and Gruden...the only way you can improve that list is if he was somehow coached by Vince Lombardi as well.

Frost may be the only possibility. Other than him, it's hard to imagine a promising young coach or an established big name coach coming to this dumpster fire where 9 win coaches get fired.

So sick of this argument. Everyone in the country knows why we fired Bo. Most people were surprised it took as long as it did. It wasn't the number of wins, it was his behavior. Bo's firing has nothing to do with this, Mike was just the wrong hire and few people will blame us for firing him after this years performance. It's a high pressure, high expectation job. People know that, stop with the excuses

• Fire 2

What you are all failing to realize and mention is that Richt is playing against teams who also finish in the Top 10 in recruiting year-in, year-out. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Florida... it's not like he has superior talent and is losing to inferior teams. If Pelini had the same schedule that Richt had during that time span, do you really think we would've won 9 games? Heck no.

I don't want any coach who isn't confident enough in his abilities to be worried about being fired. Nobody out there would blame us for firing a guy that took a 9-win team and turned them into a 3-win team. That being said, no way does Fuente or Herman turn down a $4-million contract to stay at Memphis or Houston. No way.

• Fire 3

So correct me if I'm wrong on this:

1. We fire Bo, we now pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

2. We fire Riley, we would have to pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

3. We hire a coach under a current contract with another school, we'd have to buy out his contract to come here?

If that's all true, that's a boat load of cash.............

So sick of this argument. Everyone in the country knows why we fired Bo. Most people were surprised it took as long as it did. It wasn't the number of wins, it was his behavior. Bo's firing has nothing to do with this, Mike was just the wrong hire and few people will blame us for firing him after this years performance. It's a high pressure, high expectation job. People know that, stop with the excuses

That's not the point. Nebraska is the only school in history that has fired a 9 win coach with no losing seasons. And we've now done it twice. Most any of the young up and comers or established big name coaches can name their price at most any school. Why would they come here? It sucks to say it, but it's a fact. Our administration has screwed the pooch so bad, they can't even be trusted to hire another coach.

Also, the coaching fraternity is pretty tight knit. Most other coaches know that Pelini got fired because of a toxic relationship with his boss. It takes two to form a toxic relationship. Those same coaches probably also realize the fact that everything Pelini said in his last player meeting is true.

Nobody decent will work for Pederhorst. Even Scott Frost would be nuts to come here.

IMO, Solich was fired because he hired friends and it failed. Callahan hired friends. Pelini hired friends. Riley hired friends. The friends protocol does not work.

Harvey might be too chickensh#t to fire him but thats what should happen. Harvey is a lame duck and he needs to fall on his sword. You appoint an interim, efectively telling everyone to update their resumes. It will be an expensive failure but the longer you drag this out the more damage it does.

That's just it. How long to let this drag out? How much damage is done to the brand with each passing week?

I realize unloading these guys would signal what some have called a $34 million loss, but how much of a loss does the brand of Nebraska football continue to suffer if we let this go on for another year or two? I'm talking Eichorst and Riley. Let's face it, Nebraska has had Beth Mowens and been on ESPNU in the past two weeks. There has to be less TV money coming to your program when you are relegated to that, than say being on national TV at 3:30 or 8:00 pm. Yes, this would be quite an expensive failure, and I am not the one writing the checks, but I think letting Eichorst to continue to pilot this program, if you can call it that, will reduce the brand further.

I could argue that this is similar to New Coke in 1985. Coke was losing steam to Pepsi, much like the Nebraska program was losing steam under Frank Solich, and Bo Pelini. Coke changed to what they thought people liked, a sweeter tasting product, much like trying to bring a Pro-Style West Coast offense to Lincoln. The buying public hated it, the Nebraska fans hate this. Quickly Coke reversed it's course and by the end of the year in 1985 it's sales had doubled. the only problem with this little tale is that no one at Coke was fired or demoted. Unfortunately some people in Lincoln probably need to go in order to reverse this course.

• Fire 1

IMO, Solich was fired because he hired friends and it failed. Callahan hired friends. Pelini hired friends. Riley hired friends. The friends protocol does not work.

Huh? Solich was hamstrung with a bunch of content old guys who wouldn't or couldn't go out on the road to recruit. When he finally did hire a new staff, they immediately improved from 7-7 to 10-3.

So what were you referring to with Solich?

• Fire 1