Sipple: NU Leaders Face Tough Decisions

So correct me if I'm wrong on this:

1. We fire Bo, we now pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

2. We fire Riley, we would have to pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

3. We hire a coach under a current contract with another school, we'd have to buy out his contract to come here?

If that's all true, that's a boat load of cash.............

Riley's buy out is $1M.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/riley-contract-includes-million-buyout/article_baf3a9d7-97c6-52aa-af24-96ec7457b6ec.html

I imagine your boosters would consider that pocket change.

2. We fire Riley, we would have to pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

3. We hire a coach under a current contract with another school, we'd have to buy out his contract to come here?

Riley's buy out is $1M.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/riley-contract-includes-million-buyout/article_baf3a9d7-97c6-52aa-af24-96ec7457b6ec.html

You read that wrong..

"Riley takes another coaching job, Nebraska would be owed $1 million. Bo Pelini's buyout was $250,000.

If terminated, Riley will be guaranteed a monthly payment of $170,000 through the term of his contract (Pelini will get $150,000). Both amounts would be reduced should the coach find another job."

Riley's buy out is $1M.

Thanks for the info, I truly had no idea what all of this would cost which is why I asked. :thumbs

Riley's buy out is $1M.

Thanks for the info, I truly had no idea what all of this would cost which is why I asked. :thumbs

$8.67 million for Riley, about $6.5 million for the assistant coaches

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/nu-releases-salary-info-for-husker-assistants/article_a67b0096-beeb-5c99-ae05-4198ff7712e8.html

(cough) Scott Frost (cough)

If we can't get Tom Herman or Pat Narduzzi, I'm jumping on the Scott Frost train with you. Influenced by Walsh, Osborne, Parcells, Belichick, Snyder, Chip Kelly and Gruden...the only way you can improve that list is if he was somehow coached by Vince Lombardi as well.

Said this in another thread.

Watching the Cougars tonight dismantle Vandy and the announcers were talking about Herman being a hot commodity for some of the openings. They listed several to include:

USC

Carolina Gamecocks

Miami

Maryland

and a few others.

What got me was they said that Herman wouldn't be a good fit at USC. His "style" didn't fit their culture. Same with the Gamecocks. Said he would be a better fit at Maryland, but then he was a Texas and Ohio guy. Said Fuentes would be a good fit or Smart form Bama (Carolina). They then said maybe Herman to Miami as the would need a "splash hire".

My point being, they specifically said just like kids look to schools that "fit", universities also look to find coaches who meet their culture/scheme and should be "splash hires" for those listed above.

NU did neither. Riley does not fit the culture of NU nor was it a splash hire.

Hope the next choice gets it right.......

The guys mentioned above "get the culture" of NU and would be splash hires.

You may not like the hire but Riley is a great fit for the culture of NU, or atleast what it "should" be.

It definitely wasn't a splash hire.

That loss to Purdue was horrible. When you turn the ball over 5 times, you're gonna lose football games. That's just how it works. This has been a tough season as a fan, and been maybe one of the toughest ever for the Coach of Nebraska. All the things that could go wrong are going wrong. That game yesterday was the perfect storm and Purdue caught Nebraska right in the middle of it.

So go ahead, fire the coach. That word "fire" seems to be the only answer half of you have for anything. We will live and learn here and if we choose to fire another coach, I'm betting we continue to learn the hard way.

• Fire 1

Riley's buy out is $1M.

$8.67 million for Riley, about $6.5 million for the assistant coaches

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/nu-releases-salary-info-for-husker-assistants/article_a67b0096-beeb-5c99-ae05-4198ff7712e8.html

giphy.gif

• Fire 2

Exactly. That's why it's important for the AD to make a good hire after firing the previous guy. You don't want to be paying 3 coaches on your payroll for the next 4 or 5 years.

With that being said, it's not terribly uncommon. Programs like Notre Dame and Auburn (IIRC) have been in similar situations. Luckily Riley is a relatively cheap coach, we wouldn't be firing a guy making 5-6 million per year. What it does do, however, is it makes you stick with the next hire for a long time. It would be a program killing move if the next guy stinks up the place.

If we can't get Tom Herman or Pat Narduzzi, I'm jumping on the Scott Frost train with you. Influenced by Walsh, Osborne, Parcells, Belichick, Snyder, Chip Kelly and Gruden...the only way you can improve that list is if he was somehow coached by Vince Lombardi as well.

Watching the Cougars tonight dismantle Vandy and the announcers were talking about Herman being a hot commodity for some of the openings. They listed several to include:

USC

Carolina Gamecocks

Miami

Maryland

and a few others.

What got me was they said that Herman wouldn't be a good fit at USC. His "style" didn't fit their culture. Same with the Gamecocks. Said he would be a better fit at Maryland, but then he was a Texas and Ohio guy. Said Fuentes would be a good fit or Smart form Bama (Carolina). They then said maybe Herman to Miami as the would need a "splash hire".

My point being, they specifically said just like kids look to schools that "fit", universities also look to find coaches who meet their culture/scheme and should be "splash hires" for those listed above.

You may not like the hire but Riley is a great fit for the culture of NU, or atleast what it "should" be.

That loss to Purdue was horrible. When you turn the ball over 5 times, you're gonna lose football games. That's just how it works. This has been a tough season as a fan, and been maybe one of the toughest ever for the Coach of Nebraska. All the things that could go wrong are going wrong. That game yesterday was the perfect storm and Purdue caught Nebraska right in the middle of it.

So go ahead, fire the coach. That word "fire" seems to be the only answer half of you have for anything. We will live and learn here and if we choose to fire another coach, I'm betting we continue to learn the hard way.

But we turned the ball over 5 times because we threw the ball nearly 50 times with a backup walk on QB and abandoned the run against the worst Rushing defense in the conference...

• Fire 5

The "culture" of Nebraska is playing smart, physical football, establishing a sound rushing attack, and winning games that matter. None of those things are part of Riley's coaching prowess.

He's very likely going to get a year 2, but he has to make staff changes at the very minimum. Banker, Stewart, and Read must go.

USC

Carolina Gamecocks

Miami

Maryland

and a few others.

I agree that we can't exactly fire him after one year, but it's disheartening that Riley hasn't had any answers after every week. I would be okay with an average W-L record if we didn't lose to really average teams like Wisconsin and Northwestern and really bad teams like Purdue and Illinois. I would also feel better about the future if it looked like the players were improving each week, but they aren't. I have zero faith that Riley will be able to turn it around in the years to come, but I also don't think we can fire him. Eichorst went out and got his guy and now unfortunately we are stuck with him and his inept staff.

If I didn't know the background of Riley, I would never have been able to guess that he has been doing this for 30+ years.

The "culture" of Nebraska is playing smart, physical football, establishing a sound rushing attack, and winning games that matter. None of those things are part of Riley's coaching prowess.

He's very likely going to get a year 2, but he has to make staff changes at the very minimum. Banker, Stewart, and Read must go.

Don't hold your breath.

USC

Carolina Gamecocks

Miami

Maryland

and a few others.

I agree that we can't exactly fire him after one year, but it's disheartening that Riley hasn't had any answers after every week. I would be okay with an average W-L record if we didn't lose to really average teams like Wisconsin and Northwestern and really bad teams like Purdue and Illinois. I would also feel better about the future if it looked like the players were improving each week, but they aren't. I have zero faith that Riley will be able to turn it around in the years to come, but I also don't think we can fire him. Eichorst went out and got his guy and now unfortunately we are stuck with him and his inept staff.

If I didn't know the background of Riley, I would never have been able to guess that he has been doing this for 30+ years.

I completely agree with every point you made. The lack of answers and lack of improvement is just hugely disappointing. The Purdue and Illinois losses both are the ones that stand out to me as well.

I don't know that Riley can get things fixed, and if he can it may not be quickly enough. I just don't think we can turn around and fire a guy this quickly.

There's still that part of me that see players put in the position to succeed and are just not executing or making plays. I think we are missing some key players at some key positions, especially QB.

We still appear to be a team that, with a little bit more consistency in our execution, is able to compete with or beat every single team we've played this season. So then we have the lack of execution conversation, and isn't that a conversation we've been having for a very, very long time? So when I see Mike Riley's team not executing this season, and I know this team has been inconsistent as hell for the last five years, I have to ask why I or anyone would totally blame these coaches for not being able to turn this into an execution oriented team in 10 months.

I think they deserve more time and maybe a few more consistent players on their roster to see how things go. Of course, who cares what I think. Fire them and move on to someone else. I have no particular loyalty. I do like these guys and coach Riley in particular though. I think he knows what needs to be done. He just may not be able to get it done and I'm willing to bet the next guy will struggle as well.

USC

Carolina Gamecocks

Miami

Maryland

and a few others.

This isn't a tough season for a coach at Nebraska.....we haven't even played a ranked team yet we are 3-6 with a loss against Darrell Hazell whose other two FBS wins were against Illinois and Western Michigan. Mike Riley is far from a great fit for the culture at NU. He doesn't believe in committing to the run game.....that is the one main key to the Nebraska culture. If you lose, well you better lose running the ball playing hard-nosed football. This throwing the ball 48+ times in back to back weeks? That's not a great fit.

• Fire 2

No offense to Scott, but i really dont want that offense here. And im also not the "we need to run it every play, or bring back the option" guy. I like TRUE balance with an emphasis on imposing your will with the running game as your browser identity. Like USC in early 2000s, Alabama since Saban, Ohio St. for quite awhile now. Control the ball.
You are obviously an offensive mastermind with outstanding credentials so you're opinion is highly regarded.
What are you trying to prove? Did i say that anywhere? Im just stating my opinion in what id like to see. Isnt that what a message board is for?

So take your high and mighty attitude, your noob ass, and btfu!

What you like/want and what works at Nebraska are two different things. I think it was the tone in which you stated your opinion that was really annoying to me. Either way I seemed to have rustled your jimmies pretty good. Enjoy your Sunday.
Oh ya, that tone produced over internet. Wtf?