Sipple: NU Leaders Face Tough Decisions

So correct me if I'm wrong on this:

1. We fire Bo, we now pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

2. We fire Riley, we would have to pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

3. We hire a coach under a current contract with another school, we'd have to buy out his contract to come here?

If that's all true, that's a boat load of cash.............

Riley's buy out is $1M.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/riley-contract-includes-million-buyout/article_baf3a9d7-97c6-52aa-af24-96ec7457b6ec.html

I imagine your boosters would consider that pocket change.

You read that wrong..

"Riley takes another coaching job, Nebraska would be owed $1 million. Bo Pelini's buyout was $250,000.

If terminated, Riley will be guaranteed a monthly payment of $170,000 through the term of his contract (Pelini will get $150,000). Both amounts would be reduced should the coach find another job."

There must be a typo. Are you sure we don't have to pay another school to take MR off our hands :)

If the QB throws on target and the WR catches the ball at a 63% or better completion percentage, with few interceptions, I believe the complaints about the passing game or lack of commitment to the running game would fade away.

In other words, we wouldn't be complaining if it were working.

So then we say, if the passing game isn't working, then why do we continue to do it. When I look at the run game, it doesn't appear to be much better.

We Husker fans tend to want to go in the direction of the run game and would rather watch that fail than see a failing passing game over and over. That's fine, but we should all acknowledge that neither is exactly pretty to watch. We can't sit here and pretend Langsdorf is pulling a Beck and going away from what's working. Not a lot appears to be working at a consistently high level. We used to have the benefit of being able to hand it to Ameer and watch him create something nearly every time he touched it. Well I'd say it's pretty obvious the drop off at RB when Ameer left.

If it's due to a lack of commitment to either particular area, I don't know, I'm not at practice. We have all these talent discussions around here and talk about all these "metrics" and measurements to show how much better we are than everyone else. You'd think it would be obvious on Saturdays when watching the team. I continue to look around the field trying to find where we are so much more physically dominant. Where are we making plays over these lesser talented teams?

The "culture" of Nebraska is playing smart, physical football, establishing a sound rushing attack, and winning games that matter. None of those things are part of Riley's coaching prowess.

He's very likely going to get a year 2, but he has to make staff changes at the very minimum. Banker, Stewart, and Read must go.

IMO this will cost us even more money because we will still end up getting rid of MR, but now we have even more assistant coaches to pay off.

(cough) Scott Frost (cough)

If we can't get Tom Herman or Pat Narduzzi, I'm jumping on the Scott Frost train with you. Influenced by Walsh, Osborne, Parcells, Belichick, Snyder, Chip Kelly and Gruden...the only way you can improve that list is if he was somehow coached by Vince Lombardi as well.

Said this in another thread.

Watching the Cougars tonight dismantle Vandy and the announcers were talking about Herman being a hot commodity for some of the openings. They listed several to include:

USC

Carolina Gamecocks

Miami

Maryland

and a few others.

What got me was they said that Herman wouldn't be a good fit at USC. His "style" didn't fit their culture. Same with the Gamecocks. Said he would be a better fit at Maryland, but then he was a Texas and Ohio guy. Said Fuentes would be a good fit or Smart form Bama (Carolina). They then said maybe Herman to Miami as the would need a "splash hire".

My point being, they specifically said just like kids look to schools that "fit", universities also look to find coaches who meet their culture/scheme and should be "splash hires" for those listed above.

NU did neither. Riley does not fit the culture of NU nor was it a splash hire.

Hope the next choice gets it right.......

The guys mentioned above "get the culture" of NU and would be splash hires.

You may not like the hire but Riley is a great fit for the culture of NU, or atleast what it "should" be.

It definitely wasn't a splash hire.

That loss to Purdue was horrible. When you turn the ball over 5 times, you're gonna lose football games. That's just how it works. This has been a tough season as a fan, and been maybe one of the toughest ever for the Coach of Nebraska. All the things that could go wrong are going wrong. That game yesterday was the perfect storm and Purdue caught Nebraska right in the middle of it.

So go ahead, fire the coach. That word "fire" seems to be the only answer half of you have for anything. We will live and learn here and if we choose to fire another coach, I'm betting we continue to learn the hard way.

This isn't a tough season for a coach at Nebraska.....we haven't even played a ranked team yet we are 3-6 with a loss against Darrell Hazell whose other two FBS wins were against Illinois and Western Michigan. Mike Riley is far from a great fit for the culture at NU. He doesn't believe in committing to the run game.....that is the one main key to the Nebraska culture. If you lose, well you better lose running the ball playing hard-nosed football. This throwing the ball 48+ times in back to back weeks? That's not a great fit.

This is probably the easiest first 9 games of a season in 50 years. I can see Frank, Billy and Bo all at 9-0 this year.

If we can't get Tom Herman or Pat Narduzzi, I'm jumping on the Scott Frost train with you. Influenced by Walsh, Osborne, Parcells, Belichick, Snyder, Chip Kelly and Gruden...the only way you can improve that list is if he was somehow coached by Vince Lombardi as well.

Watching the Cougars tonight dismantle Vandy and the announcers were talking about Herman being a hot commodity for some of the openings. They listed several to include:[/size]

USC

Carolina Gamecocks

Miami

Maryland

and a few others.

What got me was they said that Herman wouldn't be a good fit at USC. His "style" didn't fit their culture. Same with the Gamecocks. Said he would be a better fit at Maryland, but then he was a Texas and Ohio guy. Said Fuentes would be a good fit or Smart form Bama (Carolina). They then said maybe Herman to Miami as the would need a "splash hire".

My point being, they specifically said just like kids look to schools that "fit", universities also look to find coaches who meet their culture/scheme and should be "splash hires" for those listed above.

You may not like the hire but Riley is a great fit for the culture of NU, or atleast what it "should" be.

That loss to Purdue was horrible. When you turn the ball over 5 times, you're gonna lose football games. That's just how it works. This has been a tough season as a fan, and been maybe one of the toughest ever for the Coach of Nebraska. All the things that could go wrong are going wrong. That game yesterday was the perfect storm and Purdue caught Nebraska right in the middle of it.

So go ahead, fire the coach. That word "fire" seems to be the only answer half of you have for anything. We will live and learn here and if we choose to fire another coach, I'm betting we continue to learn the hard way.

This isn't a tough season for a coach at Nebraska.....we haven't even played a ranked team yet we are 3-6 with a loss against Darrell Hazell whose other two FBS wins were against Illinois and Western Michigan. Mike Riley is far from a great fit for the culture at NU. He doesn't believe in committing to the run game.....that is the one main key to the Nebraska culture. If you lose, well you better lose running the ball playing hard-nosed football. This throwing the ball 48+ times in back to back weeks? That's not a great fit.

This is probably the easiest first 9 games of a season in 50 years. I can see Frank, Billy and Bo all at 9-0 this year.

I just want anyone to lead us to 9-0

Frost may be the only possibility. Other than him, it's hard to imagine a promising young coach or an established big name coach coming to this dumpster fire where 9 win coaches get fired.

I don't want any coach who isn't confident enough in his abilities to be worried about being fired. Nobody out there would blame us for firing a guy that took a 9-win team and turned them into a 3-win team. That being said, no way does Fuente or Herman turn down a $4-million contract to stay at Memphis or Houston. No way.

This. So much this. Folks might question why we fired Bo. No one questions a WTF hire, with a losing career that took a 7 year 9 win team to the bottom of the B1G.

If the QB throws on target and the WR catches the ball at a 63% or better completion percentage, with few interceptions, I believe the complaints about the passing game or lack of commitment to the running game would fade away.

In other words, we wouldn't be complaining if it were working.

So then we say, if the passing game isn't working, then why do we continue to do it. When I look at the run game, it doesn't appear to be much better.

We Husker fans tend to want to go in the direction of the run game and would rather watch that fail than see a failing passing game over and over. That's fine, but we should all acknowledge that neither is exactly pretty to watch. We can't sit here and pretend Langsdorf is pulling a Beck and going away from what's working. Not a lot appears to be working at a consistently high level. We used to have the benefit of being able to hand it to Ameer and watch him create something nearly every time he touched it. Well I'd say it's pretty obvious the drop off at RB when Ameer left.

If it's due to a lack of commitment to either particular area, I don't know, I'm not at practice. We have all these talent discussions around here and talk about all these "metrics" and measurements to show how much better we are than everyone else. You'd think it would be obvious on Saturdays when watching the team. I continue to look around the field trying to find where we are so much more physically dominant. Where are we making plays over these lesser talented teams?

Our running backs were averaging almost 5 yards a carry against Purdue. That's better than 5 turnovers

• Fire 3

Watching the Cougars tonight dismantle Vandy and the announcers were talking about Herman being a hot commodity for some of the openings. They listed several to include:

USC

Carolina Gamecocks

Miami

Maryland

and a few others.

Yep. Who would any of them have lost to? Maybe Miami. 8-1 is worst case scenario with any of those guys.

2. We fire Riley, we would have to pay him millions for several years to not coach here.

3. We hire a coach under a current contract with another school, we'd have to buy out his contract to come here?

Riley's buy out is $1M.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/riley-contract-includes-million-buyout/article_baf3a9d7-97c6-52aa-af24-96ec7457b6ec.html

I imagine your boosters would consider that pocket change.

You mean the same boosters that payed for Bo's buyout. Oh wait the university is still paying for that one.

why do people think that boosters are just going to give the university money every time the fans are butt hurt.

Exactly. That's why it's important for the AD to make a good hire after firing the previous guy. You don't want to be paying 3 coaches on your payroll for the next 4 or 5 years.

With that being said, it's not terribly uncommon. Programs like Notre Dame and Auburn (IIRC) have been in similar situations. Luckily Riley is a relatively cheap coach, we wouldn't be firing a guy making 5-6 million per year. What it does do, however, is it makes you stick with the next hire for a long time. It would be a program killing move if the next guy stinks up the place.

Did you not see this

$8.67 million for Riley, about $6.5 million for the assistant coaches

http://journalstar.c...98ff7712e8.html

IIRC, Nebhawk has been arguing for several weeks against firing Riley for the sole reason that he doesn't trust Eichorst/Perlman to make another coaching decision. After thinking about it this morning and reading Sipple's column, I think I agree with Nebhawk. Every decision Perlman has made throughout his regime in regard to the football program vis-a-vis the Athletic Department has been a total mess, and it is these decisions more than any other set of factors that are responsible for the clear downward trajectory of the program this century. Perlman is the only single person who has been involved in all the screw-ups and mistakes of the past 15 years; is this coincidence?

Perlman cannot be trusted to make a good decision, especially now when more is riding on that decision than ever before. If we whiff on the next hire, this program becomes Minnesota. So for the long-term good of the program, Perlman cannot be involved in hiring either a new AD or coach, meaning we wait to make our move until his long-overdue retirement becomes a reality.

If it weren't for Perlman and his hires being the people yet again in charge of making these crucial decisions, I'd be all for axing this incompetent coaching staff at the conclusion of the Iowa game this year.

We need to clean house from the top down. Some facts, Pearlman is on his way out and the University will not fire him before he is set to step down, however, you can send a clear message by firing that arrogant a$$ that hired Riley without due diligence, and that is Eichorst. Our athletics have suffered enough under this idiot from Miami. I say, Fire Eichorst, and start looking for an AD that understands Nebraska culture. In my opinion, that is Trev Alberts. And let the new AD give Riley his pink slip or tell him that he needs to fire his buddy coaches and get some competent ones. The only problem with that is that I feel that Riley himself is a nice incompetent coach so what's the point of keeping him. If no serious actions are taken soon, this circus show is going to continue to kill every ounce of husker tradition.

We are proud husker nation and we should not settle for this performance. People who say the landscape has changed and we will never dominate again, these are the true loser mentality fans and they deserve this incompetent coaching staff.

IIRC, Nebhawk has been arguing for several weeks against firing Riley for the sole reason that he doesn't trust Eichorst/Perlman to make another coaching decision. After thinking about it this morning and reading Sipple's column, I think I agree with Nebhawk. Every decision Perlman has made throughout his regime in regard to the football program vis-a-vis the Athletic Department has been a total mess, and it is these decisions more than any other set of factors that are responsible for the clear downward trajectory of the program this century. Perlman is the only single person who has been involved in all the screw-ups and mistakes of the past 15 years; is this coincidence?

Perlman cannot be trusted to make a good decision, especially now when more is riding on that decision than ever before. If we whiff on the next hire, this program becomes Minnesota. So for the long-term good of the program, Perlman cannot be involved in hiring either a new AD or coach, meaning we wait to make our move until his long-overdue retirement becomes a reality.

If it weren't for Perlman and his hires being the people yet again in charge of making these crucial decisions, I'd be all for axing this incompetent coaching staff at the conclusion of the Iowa game this year.

We need to clean house from the top down. Some facts, Pearlman is on his way out and the University will not fire him before he is set to step down, however, you can send a clear message by firing that arrogant a$$ that hired Riley without due diligence, and that is Eichorst. Our athletics have suffered enough under this idiot from Miami. I say, Fire Eichorst, and start looking for an AD that understands Nebraska culture. In my opinion, that is Trev Alberts. And let the new AD give Riley his pink slip or tell him that he needs to fire his buddy coaches and get some competent ones. The only problem with that is that I feel that Riley himself is a nice incompetent coach so what's the point of keeping him. If no serious actions are taken soon, this circus show is going to continue to kill every ounce of husker tradition.

We are proud husker nation and we should not settle for this performance. People who say the landscape has changed and we will never dominate again, these are the true loser mentality fans and they deserve this incompetent coaching staff.

So your going to let HP hire a new AD before he retires. kinda stupid ain't it. Plus do you plan on funding these buyouts or do you expect others to pony up the money and not yourself.

Exactly. That's why it's important for the AD to make a good hire after firing the previous guy. You don't want to be paying 3 coaches on your payroll for the next 4 or 5 years.

With that being said, it's not terribly uncommon. Programs like Notre Dame and Auburn (IIRC) have been in similar situations. Luckily Riley is a relatively cheap coach, we wouldn't be firing a guy making 5-6 million per year. What it does do, however, is it makes you stick with the next hire for a long time. It would be a program killing move if the next guy stinks up the place.

Did you not see this

These coaches should be ashamed to cash these big fat checks with the product they put on the field. If Riley is such a nice guy, he would admit that he and his staff are way over their heads and fire themselves. Unfortunately, nice guy does not mean you don't rob the state of Nebraska blind for driving their beloved husker to the ground.

$8.67 million for Riley, about $6.5 million for the assistant coacheshttp://journalstar.c...98ff7712e8.html

Did you not see this

These coaches should be ashamed to cash these big fat checks with the product they put on the field. If Riley is such a nice guy, he would admit that he and his staff are way over their heads and fire themselves. Unfortunately, nice guy does not mean you don't rob the state of Nebraska blind for driving their beloved husker to the ground.

$8.67 million for Riley, about $6.5 million for the assistant coacheshttp://journalstar.c...98ff7712e8.html

Ahhhh ok, yes I saw and posted this in another thread. what's your point.

Or do you expect him to just walk away from this money. if you do that is simply stupid.