Sipple: NU Leaders Face Tough Decisions

It is a lot of money to us but not to an athletic department. Nebraska does not have their arm tied behind their backs financially. The reality is that most AD's likely look at what's owed to the coach vs. ticket revenue, donations lost, etc. A lot of factors weigh into a decision and most of that is never even made public so the general fan is highly unaware. Let me just say, Eichorst doesn't have very many friends in the athletic department, most of us know that now.

I may have had a "defeatist" attitude as far as getting someone else to coach at Nebraska not because we can't afford them but because of the fan expectations and the pressure to recruit here. It's not likely that we will be able to land a top coach i.e. Chip Kelly more than say a Tom Herman. A young coach on the rise is more willing to come here and recruit and coach. This is not another Bo Pelini but an actual coach who's ran a program. I like Tom Herman and I think if Nebraska does decide to go in a different direction then he's a name that has to go to the top of the list. Herman is also a guy whom I believe would do everything he can to lure Scott Frost away from Oregon.

Nebraska is still considered a college football heavyweight. We're not limited to resources, we're not financially in trouble we can certainly out bid other top programs for coaching candidates the problem IS -- we have never done it. We have not gone out of our own way to pay for a top quality coach. The fear is, really, you never know how good a hire is going to turn out. Notre Dame is a prime example and has learned the hard way. They still owe Charlie Weis and so does Kansas. With the two combined, he nearly collects $20 million. Eichorst wanted to give Husker fans hope by hiring a polar opposite to Bo Pelini the problem is he failed to look at Riley's record and his age. He knew it would cost the university millions but our budget is so big, Nebraska can afford to pay someone millions for 5 years. We can afford the buyouts of other coaches as well.

• Fire 1

It is a lot of money to us but not to an athletic department. Nebraska does not have their arm tied behind their backs financially. The reality is that most AD's likely look at what's owed to the coach vs. ticket revenue, donations lost, etc. A lot of factors weigh into a decision and most of that is never even made public so the general fan is highly unaware. Let me just say, Eichorst doesn't have very many friends in the athletic department, most of us know that now.

I may have had a "defeatist" attitude as far as getting someone else to coach at Nebraska not because we can't afford them but because of the fan expectations and the pressure to recruit here. It's not likely that we will be able to land a top coach i.e. Chip Kelly more than say a Tom Herman. A young coach on the rise is more willing to come here and recruit and coach. This is not another Bo Pelini but an actual coach who's ran a program. I like Tom Herman and I think if Nebraska does decide to go in a different direction then he's a name that has to go to the top of the list. Herman is also a guy whom I believe would do everything he can to lure Scott Frost away from Oregon.

Nebraska is still considered a college football heavyweight. We're not limited to resources, we're not financially in trouble we can certainly out bid other top programs for coaching candidates the problem IS -- we have never done it. We have not gone out of our own way to pay for a top quality coach. The fear is, really, you never know how good a hire is going to turn out. Notre Dame is a prime example and has learned the hard way. They still owe Charlie Weis and so does Kansas. With the two combined, he nearly collects $20 million. Eichorst wanted to give Husker fans hope by hiring a polar opposite to Bo Pelini the problem is he failed to look at Riley's record and his age. He knew it would cost the university millions but our budget is so big, Nebraska can afford to pay someone millions for 5 years. We can afford the buyouts of other coaches as well.

This is a good post. The buyouts don't matter and we don't need boosters to give more money to do it. At Nebraska, we want the boosters to continue to donate in the future so we ask their opinion on these matters but we have plenty of resources and are going to be fully invested on the new contracts which will add over $20 million per year.

I actually disagree with Sipple. Its not a tough decision. Eichorst needs to go and so does Riley, after this year.

Notre Dame, as FTW states, is a prime example. Kevin White hired Charlie Weis. He had a few decent seasons, they he inexplicably gave him a TEN year contract extension. (this after the Willingham and O'Leary fiasco). Weis eventually showed his true form and Notre Dame had to make a decision. They had the balls to man up, get rid of White and Weis. They knew it would be an expensive mistake, but its the cost of doing business. Look where they are now.

I know Nebraska may not have Notre Dame resources, but we have money. Sometimes you just have to admit a mistake, realize profits may be down slightly for a handful of years, and get yourself back to the mountain top.

Yep and Notre Dame went out and got a coach at a mid-tier program. A coach who was on the rise and they seem to have decent success year in and year out now that he has his guys there. Nebraska can do the same. I don't think a guy like Frost is quite ready to take on a program like Nebraska. He needs a little more seasoning. A guy like Tom Herman is a coach on the rise, Kyle Whittingham, Justin Fuente, and others. Those are the kind of coaches Nebraska should have tried to acquire last December.

(cough) Scott Frost (cough)

I keep seeing you drop his name, but why? Just because he QB'd here? He has no HC experience and you're ready to hand him the reigns? Truth of the matter is, if he weren't a Nebraska boy his name wouldn't even be mentioned. And I like Frost.

Go look at Tom Herman's resume before taking over as HC at Houston. Then again, maybe you don't like Tom Herman.

The reason Herman's name is being mentioned, and Fuente's, is because they are now head coaches at smaller programs and they are proving what they can do as head coaches. Frost has never been a head coach. He needs to get his feet wet someplace else before he jumps to a major school. See the difference?

Herman has one year as a HC. This year. Big whoop. Not exactly a lot of HC experience.

Did you not see this

$8.67 million for Riley, about $6.5 million for the assistant coaches

http://journalstar.c...98ff7712e8.html

Yeah, it's financial irresponsibility. The AD didn't want to do multi year contracts for assistants in the past, but now this current group all get them, outside of probably the best one of the lot, Trent Bray!

More proof that this is being done intentionally. I think I am giving up on this team.

Did you not see this

$8.67 million for Riley, about $6.5 million for the assistant coacheshttp://journalstar.c...98ff7712e8.html

Yeah, it's financial irresponsibility. The AD didn't want to do multi year contracts for assistants in the past, but now this current group all get them, outside of probably the best one of the lot, Trent Bray!

More proof that this is being done intentionally. I think I am giving up on this team.

Proof and evidence are different things. I don't even know what you're talking about but I'd like to see you start a conspiracy thread with all those "proofs"...

I actually disagree with Sipple. Its not a tough decision. Eichorst needs to go and so does Riley, after this year.

Notre Dame, as FTW states, is a prime example. Kevin White hired Charlie Weis. He had a few decent seasons, they he inexplicably gave him a TEN year contract extension. (this after the Willingham and O'Leary fiasco). Weis eventually showed his true form and Notre Dame had to make a decision. They had the balls to man up, get rid of White and Weis. They knew it would be an expensive mistake, but its the cost of doing business. Look where they are now.

I know Nebraska may not have Notre Dame resources, but we have money. Sometimes you just have to admit a mistake, realize profits may be down slightly for a handful of years, and get yourself back to the mountain top.

A few decent seasons? My recollection is that he extended Weiss during his first season after like a 6-2 start (and the near win over ND on the bush push).

Athletic directors are often morons. I wish we could get Tom back, but that ship has sailed.

What you are all failing to realize and mention is that Richt is playing against teams who also finish in the Top 10 in recruiting year-in, year-out. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Florida... it's not like he has superior talent and is losing to inferior teams. If Pelini had the same schedule that Richt had during that time span, do you really think we would've won 9 games? Heck no.

If Bo had the same talent Richt did or does, yes his record even in the SEC is better than Richt's. Bo is a better coach than Richt hands down. Richt is a better recruiter than Bo hands down. Coaching wins this one. Who cares if Richt plays top 10 teams. We're going to play a couple ourselves in the next few weeks. I'd rather go forward than backward.

Interesting perspective from Sipple. I was thinking about this myself. The new chancellor, and the new president the university has, are obviously not the same ones SE had when he came here. Riley's fate could very well hang on SE's fate, and what the president/new chancellor think about the job SE has done as AD.

How about this.. You hire Perlman's replacement now. Let him walk the halls of the Admin. and loom over Harvey like the spectre of Death, kind of like they did with Eichorst before TO finally left. You have that incoming hire put strong indicators into Eichorst's ear that if he doesn't pull the trigger on MR &Co. now, he's done like a dinner as quick as the hand-over takes place. I think SE is enough of the self-serving type to drop MR like a hot rock, hell it's not his money. :dunno

Then, you steer SE's hire to your preferred candidate while keeping in mind an AD replacement's ability to get along with said hire. Upon hand-over you can SE anyway, and then publically state the reason as a dislike for the hiring carousel and how it reflects poorly on the university, "Not the Nebraska Way" and all that. You get your coach, you get your AD, and HP & SE get to take the stigmata with them as they leave. chuckleshuffle

Yeah, kind of cut-throat, but needs must. :bonez

BRILLIANT