Sipple: NU Leaders Face Tough Decisions

I actually disagree with Sipple. Its not a tough decision. Eichorst needs to go and so does Riley, after this year.

Notre Dame, as FTW states, is a prime example. Kevin White hired Charlie Weis. He had a few decent seasons, they he inexplicably gave him a TEN year contract extension. (this after the Willingham and O'Leary fiasco). Weis eventually showed his true form and Notre Dame had to make a decision. They had the balls to man up, get rid of White and Weis. They knew it would be an expensive mistake, but its the cost of doing business. Look where they are now.

I know Nebraska may not have Notre Dame resources, but we have money. Sometimes you just have to admit a mistake, realize profits may be down slightly for a handful of years, and get yourself back to the mountain top.

Just keep something under consideration with this line of thought.

Nebraska is still paying Bo's buyout. Firing Riley would mean having to pay his buyout, too, and potentially the buyouts of his assistants (I'm not sure of the specifics of their contracts). Nebraska had a couple million dollars worth of profit last year in the department, one of only a HANDFUL nationwide to turn a profit. We keep making continuous hires and fires, we're screwed.

On top of that, I do give some credence to the idea that firing a head coach after year one, even in conjunction with an AD, certainly doesn't look good to other potential candidates.

There's just a lot of things to consider from a business standpoint. I'll be honest, I'm torn on the direction we should go. I understand arguments for both sides here, and I'll admit, I lean towards keeping Riley only because I seriously doubt either of them will be gone by the end of the year. The only reason I bring all this is up is for people to keep in mind that it's not just as simple as 'fire and hire.' There are a lot of moving parts here to consider.