AD Shawn Eichorst issues a statement

Saunders

I read somewhere that is was said that this team is lacking basis fundamentals. IF that reallly is an issue, then we are not recruiting from the right places. Basic fundamentals better or at least you would think are being taught in HS. If we are spending practice time teaching basis knowledge to our players, no wonder we can't beat Purdue. Fundamentals are formed early on in this game. YOur either taught the right way or your not taught at all. I wondersometimes whats going on. Is it fundamentals or is it want to and desire to make the right plays?

I suggest that everyone hunker down and just deal with what we are seeing right now, because we will have this staff back for at least one more season, if not two. No one is going anywhere this year and we might as well either like it or just not watching it for the last few games this season and next year.

Meh. Plenty of people talked about how we might be in for a transition year, although few expected it to be bad. I think plenty of people cautioned, though, that it's hard to know what to expect in year 1.

There were people in the "look at the schedule! look at the talent! We're going to win 10, 11 games! No worries about the transition" camp, too. It's possible that they were wrong about it. It's also possible that these coaches will never amount to anything.

Time will tell.

No one saw this coming. Even the most heated opposition to this hire probably didn't see this. I hated the hire but got on board and was optimistic going into the season. It has become impossible to watch this team for me. It makes me sick to see what is being put on the field as Nebraska football.

We don't have time. It's been frittered away for the past 15 years with one bad hire after another.

I don't know what the right course is here. We are painted into an awful corner. Fire the coach and make this job even more radioactive then it already is, or allow Riley to hammer in the last few nails in the coffin. This isn't the Texas job. We can't rebound as easily as some of these other programs with built in recruiting

I completely agree with you. I was supportive of getting rid of Bo, but not overly excited about Riley but was willing to give it a chance. Even after the first couple close losses he still had me on board. However, seeing the team actually regress as the season has progressed is a sign that their coaching is getting worse, not better. All teams have injuries and that is no excuse.

We are in a tough spot, but to me there are two options.

1. Retain Riley and hope things get better. I'm not want for relying on hope though.

2. Fire Riley and do as you say making this job difficult for the next guy.

I personally am in favor of #2 unless NU wins the final 3 games and shows signs of life. But before #2 can happen, SE must go. I don't trust him to pick the next coach.

I think you probably go with retain and wait for regime change in June. In that scenario you are relying on the hope that Riley won't completely decimate the program in one more year. But, the new regime will certainly take SE out at the first sign of a repeat performance by MR and company. The new AD can then bring in his own guy and it won't look that bad. That's the most likely scenario in my book.

I would like to at least see some sort of conciliatory move such as getting rid of Banker and Stewart in the interim though

Meh. Plenty of people talked about how we might be in for a transition year, although few expected it to be bad. I think plenty of people cautioned, though, that it's hard to know what to expect in year 1.

There were people in the "look at the schedule! look at the talent! We're going to win 10, 11 games! No worries about the transition" camp, too. It's possible that they were wrong about it. It's also possible that these coaches will never amount to anything.

Time will tell.

No one saw this coming. Even the most heated opposition to this hire probably didn't see this. I hated the hire but got on board and was optimistic going into the season. It has become impossible to watch this team for me. It makes me sick to see what is being put on the field as Nebraska football.

We don't have time. It's been frittered away for the past 15 years with one bad hire after another.

I don't know what the right course is here. We are painted into an awful corner. Fire the coach and make this job even more radioactive then it already is, or allow Riley to hammer in the last few nails in the coffin. This isn't the Texas job. We can't rebound as easily as some of these other programs with built in recruiting

I completely agree with you. I was supportive of getting rid of Bo, but not overly excited about Riley but was willing to give it a chance. Even after the first couple close losses he still had me on board. However, seeing the team actually regress as the season has progressed is a sign that their coaching is getting worse, not better. All teams have injuries and that is no excuse.

1. Retain Riley and hope things get better. I'm not want for relying on hope though.

I personally am in favor of #2 unless NU wins the final 3 games and shows signs of life. But before #2 can happen, SE must go. I don't trust him to pick the next coach.

I think you probably go with retain and wait for regime change in June. In that scenario you are relying on the hope that Riley won't completely decimate the program in one more year. But, the new regime will certainly take SE out at the first sign of a repeat performance by MR and company. The new AD can then bring in his own guy and it won't look that bad. That's the most likely scenario in my book.

I would like to at least see some sort of conciliatory move such as getting rid of Banker and Stewart in the interim though

I agree, but what mark must Riley hit in 2016 to keep his job? He's likely to finish 4-8 this season, so should he finished 6-6 in 2016, his defenders will say he's showing signs of improvement. That's the trap you run into. In my mind, he should be told early on what he needs to do in order to keep his job by the end of 2016, assuming he is retained. I think he must go 8-4 or better.

Oh let's not kid ourselves about it being a rebuilding project. It absolutely is a rebuilding project.

Nebraska's attrition from last year was normal. Yes we lost Abdullah and Gregory notably but this was in no way a rebuilding project.

Bo's teams were a house of cards. I explained why above. I never mentioned attrition.

You do know what attrition means right???

Do you?

Okay let's talk about attrition then.

Abdullah was easily the offensive MVP over the last 2 years. Carried this team on his back when we needed him too and now that bell cow is gone. That only strengthens the case that it is a rebuilding scenario.

1. It's pretty clear you don't understand the true definition of attrition as it correlates to college football. Here's a hint: It's not like the NFL. There's attrition every single season in college football. Every single college football team experiences it. Players graduate or in small minority of cases some players are able to declare early for the NFL draft. Some just quit or leave the team or stop playing due to medical/personal reasons. Hopefully this makes some sort of sense to you as far as attrition and how it effects every single college football team every single year.

2. Per the bolded if you think losing one player automatically equates into calling the next season a 'rebuilding year' regardless of how good that player might have been then by your definition every single season is a rebuilding year.

Here's another hint. It's not.

I'll continue discussing this point with you when you stop cherry picking. All I'm saying is, Bo Pelini did not leave a fully equipped team behind and that the issues run deeper than the numbers show.

But how many coaches leave behind a 'fully equipped team' in college football????????? Do you not follow the sport???? Again this is not the NFL.

Let me make it clear for you. While Nebraska lost their best rb in a long time and a 1st round draft pick on defense there were still a lot of guys leftover from a team that won 9 games just last year. Now suddenly we are 3-6 and it's not because Bo didn't leave us with a fully equipped team. Do you not think any blame should be laid upon the current new staff of coaches???!!!! There's talent on this roster to warrant a better record than 3-6 and the coaching decisions which have at times resembled ones made on the high school level are right there in front of you for everyone to see.

Holy excuses batman.

So you're saying it's a rebuilding project? The reason we are 3-6 is a combination of what was left behind and the current staff's decisions. They are not mutually exclusive. Bo would have had to do some rebuilding if he was given another year.

Oh let's not kid ourselves about it being a rebuilding project. It absolutely is a rebuilding project.

Nebraska's attrition from last year was normal. Yes we lost Abdullah and Gregory notably but this was in no way a rebuilding project.

Bo's teams were a house of cards. I explained why above. I never mentioned attrition.

Do you?

Abdullah was easily the offensive MVP over the last 2 years. Carried this team on his back when we needed him too and now that bell cow is gone. That only strengthens the case that it is a rebuilding scenario.

1. It's pretty clear you don't understand the true definition of attrition as it correlates to college football. Here's a hint: It's not like the NFL. There's attrition every single season in college football. Every single college football team experiences it. Players graduate or in small minority of cases some players are able to declare early for the NFL draft. Some just quit or leave the team or stop playing due to medical/personal reasons. Hopefully this makes some sort of sense to you as far as attrition and how it effects every single college football team every single year.

2. Per the bolded if you think losing one player automatically equates into calling the next season a 'rebuilding year' regardless of how good that player might have been then by your definition every single season is a rebuilding year.

I'll continue discussing this point with you when you stop cherry picking. All I'm saying is, Bo Pelini did not leave a fully equipped team behind and that the issues run deeper than the numbers show.

But how many coaches leave behind a 'fully equipped team' in college football????????? Do you not follow the sport???? Again this is not the NFL.

Let me make it clear for you. While Nebraska lost their best rb in a long time and a 1st round draft pick on defense there were still a lot of guys leftover from a team that won 9 games just last year. Now suddenly we are 3-6 and it's not because Bo didn't leave us with a fully equipped team. Do you not think any blame should be laid upon the current new staff of coaches???!!!! There's talent on this roster to warrant a better record than 3-6 and the coaching decisions which have at times resembled ones made on the high school level are right there in front of you for everyone to see.

Holy excuses batman.

So you're saying it's a rebuilding project? The reason we are 3-6 is a combination of what was left behind and the current staff's decisions. They are not mutually exclusive. Bo would have had to do some rebuilding if he was given another year.

No. I am saying that I am really craving some Malnati's pizza right now.

giphy.gif

I agree, but what mark must Riley hit in 2016 to keep his job? He's likely to finish 4-8 this season, so should he finished 6-6 in 2016, his defenders will say he's showing signs of improvement. That's the trap you run into. In my mind, he should be told early on what he needs to do in order to keep his job by the end of 2016, assuming he is retained. I think he must go 8-4 or better.

JMO, but 6-6 is not good. Of course, I do think we're seeing that what Bo left is going to require a long term build. It might buy him a third year -- but unless that year is a pretty good one, he probably doesn't get to year 4 in this scenario.

Of course, no matter you get to year 4, it's basically year to year after that. Small grace periods can be earned, but memories are short in big time CFB, at least in a lot of places (I don't know if I agree that that is a good thing, but I wouldn't particularly like being Iowa either. Good 2015 year notwithstanding.)

4 is the standard. It's what Will Muschamp got at Florida, after succeeding Urban Meyer, and he went 4-8 and 6-5 in the last two -- and the AD remains the same.

I read somewhere that is was said that this team is lacking basis fundamentals. IF that reallly is an issue, then we are not recruiting from the right places. Basic fundamentals better or at least you would think are being taught in HS. If we are spending practice time teaching basis knowledge to our players, no wonder we can't beat Purdue. Fundamentals are formed early on in this game. YOur either taught the right way or your not taught at all. I wondersometimes whats going on. Is it fundamentals or is it want to and desire to make the right plays?

I suggest that everyone hunker down and just deal with what we are seeing right now, because we will have this staff back for at least one more season, if not two. No one is going anywhere this year and we might as well either like it or just not watching it for the last few games this season and next year.

I've been harping on that the last 4 years. Knowing how to tackle, carry the football, blocking technique, route running, etc. The last staff did these players no favors in that department. That was an uphill battle the current staff had to climb when they got here and they have done well with some of it. Tackling and fumbles seem better this year. Not perfect but better.

Recruiting is probably part of it, but good coaches can shape raw players. It's gotta be drilled into them during the offseason.

• Fire 1

Time will tell.

I'm convinced Riley is not the right guy. I would say 8-4 minimum but even that wouldn't convince me. Really I'm just trying to come up with a way we can ditch him with as little embarrassment as possible and we can maybe attract a decent coach.

I think Hermann is the guy we need and if we could get him now I would say screw the embarrassment and go for it. Just not sure how realistic that is.

I'm sure Riley will be retained and told that we must show improvement next year. Of course we'll show improvement... how could we not? That'll buy Riley ANOTHER year........ ugh.... can someone put me in a freeze chamber and wake me up when it's over?

• Fire 1

I'm sure Riley will be retained and told that we must show improvement next year. Of course we'll show improvement... how could we not? That'll buy Riley ANOTHER year........ ugh.... can someone put me in a freeze chamber and wake me up when it's over?

Barring a 10 win season next year, I think he's cooked GOAT. Improvement to 7-5 won't save him. When HP is gone, I think the other shoe will drop on SE. New AD comes in and wants to make a change to his guy, problem solved. You will be thawed out by this time next year bro

Where did I say "real" fan. I said "normal" fan. The ones that can actually see what is happening, and understand it takes awhile to clean up a shithole of a program that Nebraska football has become over the past 10-15 years. The "normal" fan that doesn't call for the firing of everyone in the athletic department, because people are so impatient, and believe that "by golly, we are Nebraska, we should win by 70 every weekend" The "normal" fan that sees that all of the "real" fans are undermining recruiting and creating a self fulling prophecy of more and more ineptitude that is Nebraska football.

Go ahead, get your wish of Trev Alberts, and Scott Frost or whatever other former players you want in here to run the athletic department. Never mind the fact that you will have permanently set this program back for good, and burned whatever last hope there was of having a return to prominence.

And if you are brain dense enough not to understand what the point of this post is, then you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

Bro Bro Bro. No bro.

Time will tell.

The regression is what I have the biggest problem with. It's perfectly reasonable to think this team would take a step back at the start of the year and get better as the season goes along. But we're not getting better and I don't think that's even up for debate.

With Perlman leaving next year I don't think there's any chance that Eichorst and Riley last beyond 2016 unless there's a HUGE turnaround.

Funadmentals have to be reinforced. You don't just learn them as a kid and then never bother with them again.

Do you?

Holy excuses batman.

So you're saying it's a rebuilding project? The reason we are 3-6 is a combinatiBull crapon of what was left behind and the current staff's decisions. They are not mutually exclusive. Bo would have had to do some rebuilding if he was given another year.

Bull crap. We would be 9-0 right now if Bo was still here. And don't make that out to be wishing or hoping that he was still here. He forced their hand and had to go. But if Pederhorst hadn't been such a prick and Bo hadn't been such a prick and they could have worked things out, we would be in the top 10 right now.